SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-12-2018, 07:40 PM   #1
sjolley2018
sjolley2018 is on a distinguished road

Default Anyone in central Ohio able to work on my SC1?

I need to find someone to do some work on my 02 Saturn SC1. Am single mom and can't afford shop prices, and a recent divorce leaves me without my usual "mechanic." I miss the convenience of having someone to work on my car but don't miss the ex!

I'm not sure that I necessarily need an ASE certified mechanic. I think anyone with some exposure to working on these cars would be able to help. Facebook marketplace in my area just seems full of hacks and scammers to trust my car to any of them, and I can't afford shop prices to fix. Really looking for someone who does work on the side. If you or anyone you know if able to help please let me know! Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sjolley2018's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sjolley2018 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sjolley2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-13-2018, 01:24 AM   #2
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2
Default Re: Anyone in central Ohio able to work on my SC1?

I don't live in Central Ohio so I can't help you much, I can recommend some options in terms of DIY, that's what makes these cars very economical since anyone can fix them:

Richpin is one of the best resources for fixing Saturn issues next to this website, here is a link to his channel. Rich continues to make Saturn repair videos to this day, I believe he fixes a Saturn SL(1?) but the basic mechanics for these vehicles are quite the same.

Assuming you don't have tools, here are the basics that can help you through repairs:

A basic 40-piece socket set.($17.97) I found a random one on Amazon that is similar to the Husky set I keep in my car at all times. It's worth mentioning these sets can be found at hardware stores much cheaper on some days along with more variety. I'd recommend getting something like the 145 piece from the one linked where you'd have longer sockets as some repairs require them.

I'm aware our vehicles come with a floor jack for replacing the spare tire, but that's always a pain and I'd hate for that to break. I use a 3-ton floor jack at home, but my grandparents have something like this($52.71). It's good enough for basic repairs, and you only need the jack long enough to place it on some jack stands ($20).

I'm aware DIY is not what you were asking for. Hopefully, depending on your issue, if you can't find someone to fix it then you have an idea of what tools you need for basic repair/maintenance. I personally don't trust anyone other than family to fix my car so that's why I try to do it myself, and can totally relate to the Facebook hacks as my area is littered with them, plus I can't afford to pay someone to do the work .

Here are some links that may help in addition to this forum and richpin:
https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/
http://sixthsphere.com/

You can also find almost all parts on https://www.rockauto.com/, but if you need them urgently you can also purchase them from your local big-retailer auto parts store (My choice is O'Reilly since they are knowledgeable in my area and affordable) just ensure you get a quality part.

It can be quite frustrating working on a car and not getting something right, but if you found this website and created an account I believe you can do it!

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:08 AM   #3
Jonasan308
Advanced Member
Jonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of lightJonasan308 is a glorious beacon of light

1999 SC1

Central ohio as in columbus area? N/e ohio here.
So, what does your car need?

1999 Saturn SL1-129k at purchase(may 2016)-139k when wrecked(September 2016)

1999 Saturn SC1(CURSED)-156K at purchase(october 2016)-194k currently (Nov 2018)
Dodging potholes should be a sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jonasan308's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jonasan308 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jonasan308 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 05:29 PM   #4
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

You might want to post a list of what is wrong with the car. Might be something that someone can recommend a solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
Bryan4257
Bryan4257 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjolley2018 View Post
I need to find someone to do some work on my 02 Saturn SC1. Am single mom and can't afford shop prices, and a recent divorce leaves me without my usual "mechanic." I miss the convenience of having someone to work on my car but don't miss the ex!

I'm not sure that I necessarily need an ASE certified mechanic. I think anyone with some exposure to working on these cars would be able to help. Facebook marketplace in my area just seems full of hacks and scammers to trust my car to any of them, and I can't afford shop prices to fix. Really looking for someone who does work on the side. If you or anyone you know if able to help please let me know! Thanks!

I'm going to check elsewhere and get back to ya. I have family in Massillon, and they have a friend in Bolivar and New Philly, if it helps.Central Ohio is a biiiggg place!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bryan4257's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bryan4257 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bryan4257 is offline   Reply With Quote