SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2018, 02:20 PM   #41
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2
Default Re: Finding a decent Saturn is getting harder . It's seems

Quote:
One of my female friends got offended, the day she bought her Chrysler Sebring JXi convertible....

She wasn't so offended a couple years later, when I passed her broke down car on the freeway
I dunno.

If I was broke down on the side of the road and saw a co-worker drive by without stopping to help, I'd be even more offended

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2018, 03:00 PM   #42
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

On the topic of Consumer Reports, or any other source, always look to methodology. They are as reliable as any source, but it is important to understand what hat means. so . . .

https://www.consumerreports.org/car-...liability-faq/

Quote:
Consumer Reports obtains its reliability data from an Annual Questionnaire that is sent to subscribers to CR.org and Consumer Reports magazine. . . .

A typical model has about 200 to 400 samples for each model year. When we have smaller sample sizes than this on vehicles, we use brand history and the reliability of similar models that may share major components in calculating our predictions. Since 2015, we use an online questionnaire exclusively instead of our previous mix of electronic and paper ballots from subscribers.
So. . . theoretically, let's say it's 'normal' to have a 2% failure rate in transmissions within 150k miles. For 200 vehicles, that's 4 cars.

let's say in a particular year, a car company has a batch of bad transmissions. In a batch of 200 vehicles, 95% of the transmissions are fine, but 5% or 10 cars have a bad trans within 150k miles.

So CR sends out a survey to its subscribers and publishes the results.

Next year, those subscribers check CR . . . and see that this company's transmissions were less reliable. So they buy fewer of these cars (let's say half).

So, survey comes out again and now we have a sample size of 100 cars. CR says taht's too small, so they go back to previous history . . . which includes that bad year. And they publish the results showing the same trans reliability issues.

And next year, CR subscribers see it again . . . and buy fewer of that company's cars.

See how you can get into a feedback loop with small samples and particular methodologies? Not saying that this is what happened, but take everything you read on the internet with a grain of salt, even from reliable sources.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:20 PM   #43
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
The Sebring JXi convertible is the 1995-2000 style that had the Mitsubishi 6G73 2.5L V6. It didn't ever get the Chrysler 2.7L. Perhaps your female friend had a newer Sebring Convertible (which doesn't use the "JXi" designation)?

I agree with the FCA reliability statement. My wife and I are looking at buying a newer (2017+) Chrysler Pacifica minivan in the near future. So far their reliability seems pretty good, but FCA's bad track record makes me a little hesitant to buy one.
The engine should be fine with proper maintenance. You may want to research the ZF 9 transmission. Not for earlier years but in the year and vehicle so that you know what to expect. The ZF 9 had problems before some changes were made. Some still complain about harsh shifting under certain conditions. You'll want to research both the engine and transmission.

When researching vehicles, it's good to know the engine and transmissions used. I don't like buying the new edition of anything that has a new engine or transmission regardless of brand. I prefer to buy later when the drivetrain is proven and any possible faults are know.

Last edited by Cheyne; 07-17-2018 at 03:33 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 03:44 PM   #44
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to beholdruley73 is a splendid one to behold

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
The engine should be fine with proper maintenance. You may want to research the ZF 9 transmission. Not for earlier years but in the year and vehicle so that you know what to expect. The ZF 9 had problems before some changes were made. Some still complain about harsh shifting under certain conditions. You'll want to research both the engine and transmission.

When researching vehicles, it's good to know the engine and transmissions used. I don't like buying the new edition of anything that has a new engine or transmission regardless of brand. I prefer to buy later when the drivetrain is proven and any possible faults are know.
I've researched the Pentastar 3.6L and ZF 9HP transmission the Pacifica uses. It's hard to decipher legitimate complaints from actual problems when researching the transmission. Because of it's design, not every shift is going to be silky smooth like most people have become accustomed to. This video does a good job explaining the ZF 9HP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7EMGnjEhmE

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 179K miles
2007 Chevy Equinox LT 190K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2018, 06:00 PM   #45
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

Quote:
I've researched the Pentastar 3.6L and ZF 9HP transmission the Pacifica uses. It's hard to decipher legitimate complaints from actual problems when researching the transmission. Because of it's design, not every shift is going to be silky smooth like most people have become accustomed to. This video does a good job explaining the ZF 9HP.

Just wasn't sure if you were aware of the shifting. The only real complaints I know of in later ones other than the difference in shifting was occasional complaints of a cover loosening. I'm not very familiar with the ZF and have not owned one, so I can't speak to it other than research I did around 1.5 years back.

I really like the later model (2013+) Pentastar. Decided to get a Grand Cherokee with one paired with the W5A580 transmission and have been pleased.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:01 AM   #46
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
I passed on it the body was pretty rough not near as nice as the pictures. Steering stuff was about average but clutch was very weak!
Some of the cars you are posting are not giving me the warm fuzzies. Too many miles for the price.

For the $1500 to $2000 bracket, I would try to find a Saturn around 150K miles with no issues. You have to consider with a used car, if you buy it and something breaks, you have to pay or repair it. Think worse case scenario and the engine or tranny blows. That is the price for not having a car payment. The good is with a Saturn, that repair cost (even if a new engine) isn't too bad.

You could go less than $1500, but then you might have issues you need to deal with.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:08 AM   #47
dakota1820
Advanced Member
dakota1820 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL
1995 SL2

I am actually driving to Indiana in a couple hours to look at a sl1
Lady has owned it since 2004.
https://evansville.craigslist.org/ct...641794570.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dakota1820's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dakota1820 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dakota1820 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:36 AM   #48
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakota1820 View Post
I am actually driving to Indiana in a couple hours to look at a sl1
Lady has owned it since 2004.
https://evansville.craigslist.org/ct...641794570.html
Manual transmission with a remote start. Buy it. You will like starting the airconditioner from inside the house.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2018, 08:40 AM   #49
Waiex191
Waiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura aboutWaiex191 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

That one looks better than the other ones you posted.

Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Waiex191's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Waiex191 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2018, 08:46 PM   #50
Saturn Momma
Saturn Momma is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
2000 SW2
Happy Re: Finding a decent Saturn is getting harder . It's seems

Hello, I currently have 3 Saturns, 1998 SL2, 2000 SW2 and a 2002 SC2.All are automatics. Kids don't know how to drive a stick shift anymore so I tend to shy away from them. I am in Imperial Mo. If you have not found a Saturn yet I would be glad to help. I am a recently retired shop owner 40 years in business. I also have my dealers license so I can look to see whats up for auction. Let me know if I can help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Momma's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Momma reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Momma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 07:28 AM   #51
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saturn Momma View Post
Hello, I currently have 3 Saturns, 1998 SL2, 2000 SW2 and a 2002 SC2.All are automatics. Kids don't know how to drive a stick shift anymore so I tend to shy away from them. I am in Imperial Mo. If you have not found a Saturn yet I would be glad to help. I am a recently retired shop owner 40 years in business. I also have my dealers license so I can look to see whats up for auction. Let me know if I can help.
I'm looking for a 2001 SC2 - manual - and it' s gotta be YELLOW!

92 SC2
93 SC2
93 SW2
97 SL2
97 SC2
99 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
3 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:17 AM   #52
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
I dunno.

If I was broke down on the side of the road and saw a co-worker drive by without stopping to help, I'd be even more offended
I was the one that DID stop to help her, how would I have known about the puddle of orange coolant on the ground, under the timing cover/passenger side of the car?

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2018, 11:29 AM   #53
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
The Sebring JXi convertible is the 1995-2000 style that had the Mitsubishi 6G73 2.5L V6. It didn't ever get the Chrysler 2.7L. Perhaps your female friend had a newer Sebring Convertible (which doesn't use the "JXi" designation)?

I agree with the FCA reliability statement. My wife and I are looking at buying a newer (2017+) Chrysler Pacifica minivan in the near future. So far their reliability seems pretty good, but FCA's bad track record makes me a little hesitant to buy one.
Her Sebring was a second-gen, because it had a 2.7L DOHC engine in it. Silver with a black top. I didn't know they dropped the JXi badge.

It was a convertible, and it did blow the engine in typical Chrysler quality fashion.

Last edited by Saturn Night; 07-28-2018 at 11:36 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2018, 11:33 AM   #54
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:

Contact your local wrecking yards, that show to have used engine/transmissions in stock.

Used parts are the preferred method, when repairs can be expensive with labor costs, because used parts are cheaper than a dealership.

The wrecking yards can often know where the problems lie, with a vehicle, because of the sales calls they consistently take for the same parts, for the same year/make/model of vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2018, 11:38 AM   #55
Saturn Night
Master Member

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
Just wasn't sure if you were aware of the shifting. The only real complaints I know of in later ones other than the difference in shifting was occasional complaints of a cover loosening. I'm not very familiar with the ZF and have not owned one, so I can't speak to it other than research I did around 1.5 years back.

I really like the later model (2013+) Pentastar. Decided to get a Grand Cherokee with one paired with the W5A580 transmission and have been pleased.
Wrecking yards owners know all about ZF, because they male use rich from used transmission sales.......

GM's Dexron-VI is catching up to Chrysler, though, thanks to O'Bailout and his eco-Nazi CAFE regulations increases. A lot of newer GM's are having transmission problems now, too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2018, 07:55 AM   #56
Signmaster
Master Member
Signmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to beholdSignmaster is a splendid one to behold

1995 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlinebiker View Post
I'm looking for a 2001 SC2 - manual - and it' s gotta be YELLOW!

Add low miles on that, and for cheap. I always thought the yellow SC's were probably the best looking S Series cars.

Around here finding a decent S Series seems to be getting harder and harder. They are either beat and overpriced, or just overpriced and meh condition usually. Here and there some in good condition, but yep.... usually overpriced.

There is a 2002 SC1 with only 81K on it and overall not bad but has a corner of the hood/quarter crunch. I might consider it if it wasn't an automatic.

Alordofchaos is worthy and hides in shadows only to hone his S Series knowledge ninja skills. Swift, silent, trustworthy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Signmaster's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Signmaster reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Signmaster is offline   Reply With Quote