SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Sky > Sky General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2018, 08:43 PM   #1
KEP3
KEP3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Buying Modified 2008 Sky?

I'm looking at buying a 2008 Sky with 2.4L Ecotec. VIN 1G8MC35B78Y111155.
I can get it for $9,000 w/50K miles. Here's the problem. Maybe.
The vehicle has the rear valence and exhaust of a Turbo Sky. At https://autoauctions.io/app/2397064/2008-saturn-sky you can see there is some damage over the right rear wheel. The dealer is going to put it on the rack to make sure all is well. The auction site say it has a manual, but it's actually an automatic.
Both Carfax and Autocheck show an accident in March 2008 but the mileage matches what is shown on the 2015 Indiana auto title. The Indiana owners said there was no damage and had no problems for the two plus years they owned it.
Any way, should I be worried and run? Or should I grab it? The thing drives better than the 2007 owned and has zip squeeks, even when driving at a good clip on Cincinnati streets. The top is clean and has no damage. Even the seats are clean.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KEP3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KEP3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2018, 09:46 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Buying Modified 2008 Sky?

I've never shopped after buying my L300. I'm suspicious of Carfax, Autocheck or any other auto site claiming to show honest data. As you found out, the ad advertises a 5-speed manual when you're test driving an automatic. What else is hidden, wrong that isn't revealed? What was the original xmission? If it started out as a manual then was switched to auto, was the engine switched too? is there any hidden damage that most of us can't see? Collision repair shops are the most experienced in these matters as well as insurance inspectors that examine crash damage for settlements. Advice on what to look for by friends, relatives working in car repair or collision can point out specific areas to look for to detect damage hidden from reports. Even googling online for info can help you before deciding. The more you know.........

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 08:19 PM   #3
KEP3
KEP3 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
Default Re: Buying Modified 2008 Sky?

After looking at the discrepancies in the auction, title info and finding out the car would probably be sold with a salvage title, which my insurance company will not touch, I told the dealer I'm walking away.
I have to admit the dealer was up front with me the whole time. What a rarity.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KEP3's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KEP3 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KEP3 is offline   Reply With Quote