SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2006, 08:46 AM   #1
dly
dly is on a distinguished road

Default Is this what the Dealers normally try to do!

I have a 05 Ion 1 that I got on a $139 a month lease. I just wanted it for cheap transportion back and forth to work. I took it in for an oil change today with 14,500 miles on it and they wanted to flush the engine for $149 and change the cabin air filter for $35. I told them to just change the oil and they didn't like the fact that they wern't going to make some $$ of me.
I've driven cars for over 30 years and have never had to had an engine oil flush (a qt of kerosine) at this low of miles. I asked to purchase the Cabin air filter myself to replace and was told that would not be possible. I think I'll be looking up a friendly Jiffy lube in my area for the future.

dly

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dly's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dly reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dly is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #2
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan
Default Re: Is this what the Dealers normally try to do!

That's just wrong. Look up Doug Flint on THe Car Connection for his editorial "The Flushing Of America" on just this subject and what a fraud it is. They try and promote this crap at Jiffy Lube as well. It's maddening, especially when, just because THEY don't have a record of something having been done, they insist it needs to be,like the radiator flush they wanted to do. I just had the radiator and tanks replaced on my 95 SL1 and they got all pushed out of shape when I told them: just do the oil change.
14,500 miles and it needs an engine flush? Did they think you had a Dodge 2.7 V6 or a Toyota 6?
I would point that out loud and clear when they send you a questionnaire about their service procedures and want a positive grade from your experience.
Better: sign up as a Saturn Mystery shopper and go undercover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 08:59 AM   #3
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy has a spectacular aura aboutUzzy has a spectacular aura about

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Well unfortunately yes, some dealers do try crap like that. I have no idea why you cannot change the cabin filter yourself, but I dont't have an ION myself. If you can't find a dealer that you can start a good service relationship with, well the Jiffy Lube it is I guess.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:12 AM   #4
HalfPrice
HalfPrice is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

This is why I get my oil changed at Wal-Mart. They simply print recommendations on the receipt. Never have tried to sell me anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HalfPrice's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HalfPrice reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HalfPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:45 AM   #5
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

things are pretty slow on the retail side at Saturn stores
there's a lot of pressure on the service side as a profit center

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:31 AM   #6
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 has a spectacular aura aboutCitation84 has a spectacular aura about

2005 ION-1 Sedan

That "jackpot" mentality will cost them in the long run.It's too bad,because it creates ill will toward the dealer's service dept. and I have no beef with trying to make a profit. But there's a huge market out there for work that actually needs to be done, and if they did that and cultivated a good customer, they wouldn't need to scam like this.
If you go by your owner's manual you will be fine.That's the factory telling what is required. Use severe duty if you need to and you still won't encounter "engine flushing" being recommended at 14,500 miles or even 100,000 miles.
And IIRC the owner's manual tells you when the cabin filter needs to be changed as well as all the others.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 10:48 AM   #7
saturn_69
Master Member
saturn_69 will become famous soon enough

I change my own oil, replace my own filters (cabin, air and oil), lube my hinges and latches, check the steering boots, CV joints, and belt myself and I rotate my tires myself. The only thing I'm going to stop doing is my own oil changes, since my local recycler won't be taking used oil anymore and I'm not hauling it 35 miles to the city or keeping it around the garage. Replacing the cabin air filter is simple and a new one can be purchased for $16-20 at O'Reilly Autoparts or NAPA. It takes about 15 minutes to do it yourself....if you take a beer/smoke/bathroom break in the middle of the procedure.

"That government is best which governs not at all; and when men are prepared for it, that will be the kind of government which they will have" - H.D. Thoreau

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturn_69's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturn_69 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturn_69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:15 PM   #8
robert4380
robert4380 is on a distinguished road

Saturn of Kalamazoo does this too, and I have to kindly remind them to just do what's outlined in the owner's manual, and then I still have to tell them specifically what that entails. They have their own menu of services for every 3,000 miles, and they are really trying to sell unnecessary services. For example, they really try to push this BG oil additive, but in the owner's manual it specifically states that no additives are needed and they are NOT recommended. With the Ion, up through the first 25,000 miles all that's recommended is just inspections of everything, along with the regular oil/filter changes.

In regards to the cabin filter, just buy one from NAPA and change it yourself. It's about 17 bucks. I forget the part number, but it's listed on their website. The only annoying thing is that it's almost never in stock in their stores, but if you just ask them to transfer one from another store you'll get it a day later.

On a semi-related note, if you look at everything the dealer is supposed to do for an oil change as listed on their menus, do you really think they do it all? I have yet to get my door hinges and all other hinges lubed like they say they do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to robert4380's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help robert4380 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
robert4380 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:21 PM   #9
itsmesillybubba
itsmesillybubba is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfPrice
This is why I get my oil changed at Wal-Mart. They simply print recommendations on the receipt. Never have tried to sell me anything.

Bad idea.....first of all...they are all morons......second....they try and sell that engine flush **** there too......my dad went for it a few months back in his high mileage intrepid.......well a week later didnt the top end of the moror go to crap.....on a high milage engine that engine cleaner will loosen up all the stuck on crap in the enigne.....it wont drain out....then it will clog up oil passages and stuff..........IMHO engine cleaner on an older engine is a BAD IDEA!

Friendship is like peeing your pants, everyone can see it, but only you can feel the true warmth.
My 95 SL1 is gone :(

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to itsmesillybubba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help itsmesillybubba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
itsmesillybubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 05:28 PM   #10
okhalid83
okhalid83 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

dealers will do that...thats why i dont like taking any cars to the dealer to get serviced unless neccessary

06 ION-2 Sedan 5 speed- miles increasing

* 20% Tint all around *
* RACTIVE Dual Tip Exhaust *
* 8000k HID kit *
* 17' Drag DR14 wheels on 225/45/17 *

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2374384

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to okhalid83's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help okhalid83 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
okhalid83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 06:57 PM   #11
Spazie
Master Member
Spazie will become famous soon enough

1993 SC2
1999 SL2

Most dealerships will honestly tell you that it's services they recommend, not the factory. Just tell them you do it yourself and they'll usually be like "ok." I do a lot of the 'scheduled' maintanence on the VUE myself, because I'm not going to pay a labor charge to change wiper blades and the air filter and stuff like that.

I wouldn't take your car to Wal-Mart at any costs. Not only the horror stories that I've heard, but I've personally had experiences with their techs that make me realize that they most likely pull the stocker from the grocery department to change oil when their 'tech' calls in sick .. and that's a scary though all on it's own.

13 Chevy Equinox, 46k, built in Spring Hill!
04 VUE 3.5, 196k
99 SL2 Homecoming, 211k

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Spazie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Spazie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Spazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 09:23 PM   #12
THX712517
Master Member
THX712517 is on a distinguished road

Funny story, we had a woman come in who had her oil changed at Walmart... They overtorqued her oil pan drain plug, stripping the threads. The oil pan drained itself dry. Her car needed, at the time, a new oil pan and plug. If she had driven it for much longer, she would have needed a new engine. A late-model S-Series will last for about one mile or so before it runs out of oil, at which point the engine will heat up dramatically.

2003 Saturn Ion
2001 Mazda Miata
1997 Saturn SC1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to THX712517's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help THX712517 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
THX712517 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:10 PM   #13
CarNut
Advanced Member
CarNut is on a distinguished road

2004 ION Red Line

Have to chime in on dealers ignoring factory recommendations. I rode along with my dad for an oil change on his GMC 03 Sonoma. He pays extra for the Valvoline blended synthethic so I watched to see if that's what they actually put in. They did, but it was 10W-40 (in January besides). I don't think GM has made a car that recommends 10W-40 in years and I'm pretty sure it says 5W-30 right on the cap. Not a huge deal but why completely ignore GM's recommendations? My dad didn't ask for 10W-40 and wasn't even aware of it. Its hard to put your trust in them sometimes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarNut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarNut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2006, 11:47 PM   #14
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

There are actually directives from Saturn Corp. direct to ALL Saturn dealers stating SPECIFICALLY that they are NOT to do this.

REPORT THEM to Saturn Customer service!

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 01:56 AM   #15
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

Another Wally world horror story.....

We got an Ion in a few weeks ago that had the oil changed at wal mart 2 days before, drove it roughly 40 miles, and motor stopped running. Well, they put a 3.0L cartridge filter in and ended up seizing the motor.... They are fighting hard to get their insurance to pay for it, and it will probably be a long, drawn out process, but in the end, Wally world will pay for the new motor and the rental. GM has proved that using the wrong filter will cause catastrophic damage, and wally world knows it..... Just playing the system.....

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #16
mo615
mo615 is on a distinguished road

Never-Ever Shop at Wal-Mart for anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mo615's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mo615 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mo615 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2006, 08:31 PM   #17
LVbearAM
LVbearAM is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-3 Sedan
Happy Re: Is this what the Dealers normally try to do!

My dealer (Saturn Of West Sahara) has NEVER tried to sell me an engine flush on either of my Saturns; as long as you maintain your car according to the owners manual--including oil changes--the engine should be just fine.
And good service is the reason I use the dealer for normal maintenance; I can't trust Wal-Mart or the quick lube places.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LVbearAM's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LVbearAM reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LVbearAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2006, 03:08 PM   #18
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Screw the $149 engine flush business. Not needed... if it was have it done under warranty!!! If they do it again... say what kind of crappy vehicle needs an engine flush at such low miles.

The Cabin Filter replacement for $35 isn't too bad it is recommended around once a year (or so). (I went about 3 years before changing mine) My local Saturn Dealership charges about $30 for the filter. (I got a Wix filter replacement for about $18 and did it myself. It's outlined in the manual.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 02:55 PM   #19
blue_satty
blue_satty is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Well,

I had a very pleasant experience at Saturn of Irving (Texas)

I went in because my A/C hasn't been working very well. I wanted to get it taken care of before the Texas summer hits...anyways I figured that it was probably my cabin air filter but wanted to make sure.

I have been a bad boy and have been neglecting to get my oil changed and some other stuff. They told me this. I told them that I would take care of it later..and they did not preasure me to buy anything. I was very suprised.

They pulled out my cabin air filter (which by the way was black...ewww) and replaced it. They didn't even charge me for labor. Now my A/C works great.

lol...I have gone all over the place with this message. I guess my point is that some dealer's are great and some aren't...if you find a bad one...report them to Saturn..then go find yourself some other GM dealership.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue_satty's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue_satty reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue_satty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2006, 02:34 PM   #20
BobL
Master Member
BobL is on a distinguished road

Even my Toyota dealer isn't that bad.

Flushes are not only normally useless, but can easily cause damage.

Cabin filters need changing yearly or sometimes even more depending on the dust and junk in your area.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobL is offline   Reply With Quote