SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-10-2011, 08:30 PM   #1
tlschiltz
tlschiltz is on a distinguished road

Sad Secondary Air Injection Pump

Have a 2000 SL2 1.9 L with a P0410 code. Cleaned the diverter valve, EGR and pipe which had a build-up of carbon. I am unable to get a ground from the PCM to activate the air pump. If I introduce a ground to the pump it runs for the the desired time (60 sec) for a cold start. Reset the code and run the engine for awhile and got code P1404 (EGR valve pintle stuck/clogged). Cleaned the EGR valve and at the current time I do not have a SES light, but I am still unable to get a PCM ground to the air pump. Any suggestions?

Last edited by tlschiltz; 08-10-2011 at 08:35 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tlschiltz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tlschiltz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tlschiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-11-2011, 04:01 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Secondary Air Injection Pump

Here's the wiring diagram.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DTC P0410 AIR injection wiring.jpg (104.2 KB, 91 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:01 AM   #3
tlschiltz
tlschiltz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the wiring diagram. I have determined that I have the voltage at A9, but I am still chasing the ground at the PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tlschiltz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tlschiltz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tlschiltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 08:36 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are parameters that need to be met before the air pump runs. Some of them are the coolant temperature, intake air temp, map sensor, rpm, etc.. Usually at every start up, a cold engine will have the air pump run to get the O2 sensor quickly up to operating temperature for as long as a minute but a hot engine will already have the O2 sensor still cooking from heat soaking so the air pump will run for less time as the exhaust will heat up the hot O2 sensor in less time than it takes when its cold.

You can check wiring continuity between pcm and fuse box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #5
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

If you are having a problem with the ground for the air pump check the right forward lamp splice pack which is located in front of the windshield washer tank that is were the ground comes from for the pump.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 10:50 PM   #6
SaturnStick
SaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really nice

2000 SL2

Sorry to wake this one up after so long, but I have a very similar problem and need to make sure I understand something that was said in this thread.

Should that air pump ALWAYS get voltage when you start the car, but the time it gets the voltage will vary with those parameters?

I ask because I read, no idea where now, that the system doesn't check if the gas tank is more then full. I 'tested' this by not letting my tank get below for 2 weeks. No codes. As soon as I let it get below that, then the code returned. My pump can be a jerk: it'll run sometimes, but then something changes and POOF! codes.

So, yeah, should the pump get voltage every time, just not necessarily for so long?

And, while I'm at it - how MUCH voltage? If I want to test the pump itself, how much voltage would I apply?

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnStick's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnStick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnStick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

12 volts for pump operation and it should run on every engine start with the pcm varying the run time according to engine temperatures - longest at cold engine startup, shortest with a hot engine since the catalytic converter cools off after engine shutdown.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-23-2016, 03:51 PM   #8
SaturnStick
SaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really niceSaturnStick is just really nice

2000 SL2

Excellent, thanks! I can do a little troubleshooting now.

It's so weird that it would work sometimes, but not all. Perhaps it's getting old, but a 12 VDC injection will help determine that! :-)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnStick reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-30-2017, 04:25 PM   #9
SaturnStick

2000 SL2

Doing some cleanup, realized I hadn't actually said, "This thread it closed, thanks for the info!"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-01-2017, 07:32 AM   #10
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the roughonlinebiker is a jewel in the rough

The first time I popped the hood of my 02 SC2, I saw the pump, scratched my head and thunk "wassthis?". .

I took me a minute to figure it out.

I then shook my head and thought " didn't GM bury that stupid idea in a shallow unmarked grave back in 1981???".....

They should have dug deeper.....

driveable

92 SC2
93 SC2
95 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
97 SC2
02 SC2
02 SL2

parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
97 SL2 - cooked engine
98 SW2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onlinebiker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onlinebiker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 09:00 AM   #11
SaturnStick

2000 SL2

I have to say, it seems like an awful lot to go through for what appears to be a small return!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-12-2017, 12:31 AM   #12
Hollis16
Hollis16 is on a distinguished road

Since this one was brought back from the dead, I figured I'd add my 2 cents. Had the P0410 code, ran through all the different troubleshooting guides from richpin, stumbled across a thread about a bad ground and that got me the continuity I needed. Air pump still wouldn't run, tore the UHJB apart, did some ground testing and continuity testing, still nothing. Then I stumbled on someone had a bad CONNECTOR for the air pump. So I'm at wits end, and ticked off, so I hacked off the ends, twisted the wires together, applied voltage at the relay and the pump came on! Bundled everything up, started the car, and the air pump finally whirred away properly. Now to see if a code kicks......👍🏽👍🏽

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Hollis16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Hollis16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Hollis16 is offline   Reply With Quote