SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2011, 05:45 PM   #1
SL1Queen
SL1Queen is on a distinguished road

Dizzy SL1 2002 High Idle w/ SES codes

My 2002 SL1 (Which I've owned since 2004, but has always been in the family) is revving high when I start the car and even worse when in reverse, it idles slightly high when in drive with brake down, but drives completely smoothly. I just had the plugs and wires replaced, as well as a new serpentine belt and air filter I have 4 brand new tires and a new front end alignment. Also a new fuel filter and cleaned the EGR valve. The car drives the same. It is throwing out a few codes P0410 as well as a cylinder misfire (cylinder 4) which is why I cleaned the EGR valve and had the plugs and wires replaced. I have sunk a lot of money into these repairs and the car is still not functioning well. I'm taking it in to a new mechanic this week, but I'm looking for some ideas of what could be wrong. I don't want to waste anymore money on something that won't fix my problem In addition to the high idle, there is a banging noise coming from the back of the car. It seems to me that the muffler is loose and moving around from all of the vibrations, but I don't know nearly enough about mufflers to say for sure. Also, I'm getting an odd creaking noise (like an unlubricated door hinge) when I turn, but only sometimes. It does not sound like a grinding noise to me, so I don't think it's the ball joints but I could be wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SL1Queen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SL1Queen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SL1Queen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: SL1 2002 High Idle w/ SES codes

P0410 is the secondary AIR injection system to help heat up the catalytic converter by pumping air into the exhaust system when the engine is first started. Search for past threads that covers the fan, vacuum valve, electric solenoid, hoses, and the fresh air tube that clogs with exhaust over the years and needs to be cleaned out.

The creaking when turning may be worn out strut bearings on top.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote