SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 01:57 PM   #1
BennySL2
BennySL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Smoke from Secondary Air/Smog Pump. What to replace?

Last week I noticed smoke coming from my "secondary air injection system" pump (aka smog pump) and a P0410 code. The problem went away while I was busy diagnosing what ended up being a clogged catalytic converter (it was probably backing up exhaust into the engine might might be related to this problem). Last Friday, I again saw smoke from the pump and got an immediate P0410 code. I unplugged the air pump until I got home.

At home, I noticed that the "air pump" 30 amp fuse was blown. I swapped in a good fuse and also a different "air pump" 3604 relay. I first confirmed current was flowing to the pump (it was). I plugged in the pump, started the car, and immediately blew the fuse and got some smoke from the air pump (I'm guessing I blew the relay as well).

I used RichPin06a's youtube video to check out the rest of the system. Here's what I know:

A. Hose from Air Pump to Diverter Valve
There is obviously no air flowing from the air pump into the diverter valve ("A" in the picture). However, I noticed some air flow with exhaust flowing OUT from the diverter valve. Is this normal?

B. Vacuum line between Switching Valve and Diverter Valve
"B" in the picture. There is condensation in this vacuum line. As it should, I feel a vacuum from the switching valve side when the car first starts. I wouldn't describe this as a strong vacuum, but it can make a seal on my finger. On the diverter valve side, I noticed some air flow OUT, like from "A".

C. Vacuum line between intake manifold and Switching Valve
This line has a vacuum as it should.

My plan is to replace the air pump. I can't find them retail online, eBay has some (here, here, and here). Some don't have pictures, but I presume that's what I need.

Does this sound like a good start? Should I be looking at replacing the diverter valve due to the exhaust coming out of it?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1.jpg (45.3 KB, 26 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BennySL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BennySL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BennySL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #2
BennySL2
BennySL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Fixed: what I replaced

Just a follow-up. I decided to replace everything.

I bought a smog pump from another 1999 SL2 (salvage yard, $50) along with the diverter and switching valves ($25 extra). The replacement was easy and straight forward.

I didn't notice any exhaust exiting the replacement diverter valve. The old diverter valve had a bit of condensation in it. I also noticed that there was also liquid swishing around in the old pump. My guess: when I had a clogged catalytic converter, exhaust was being forced back into the diverter valve and pump. Condensation from the exhaust shorted the pump.

Whatever the explanation is, replacing the valves and pump fixed the problem, and everything is running smoothly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BennySL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BennySL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BennySL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 05:10 AM   #3
Tommie
Advanced Member
Tommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the roughTommie is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL1
2002 SL1
Default Re: Smoke from Secondary Air/Smog Pump. What to replace?

Thanks for posting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tommie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tommie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tommie is offline   Reply With Quote