SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-14-2019, 05:52 PM   #1
Bismarck318
Bismarck318 is on a distinguished road

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Heat shield rattle... 2

Since the original thread is closed...

Are these riveted or spot welded on? With all the corrosion going on underneath, I found mine had dropped from the floor pan in a few places, & I hear them clanging on very windy days. I just see enlarged pitted holes where they were fastened. Imagine some sort of aluminized steel.

With the close proximity of other components is there a place to re-drill & re-rivet, or are these needed at all?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bismarck318's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bismarck318 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2019, 07:26 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Heat shield rattle... 2

With heat shields designed to shield the excessive infrared heat generated from catalytic converters and the rest of the exhaust system that comes close to the underbody, shielding is a necessary evil to prevent heat from transferring into the cabin or at least not melting anything like sealant or under body coating.

My muffler heat shield gave way a year ago ('03 L300) as I was driving home and dragged on the street. I pulled over, looked at it dangling and simply ripped it off and threw it into my trunk. All mounting holes rusted thru. It was a few months when I gave it some thought to remount it. When I thought about how to remount it, I examined the mounting studs, used pb blaster and removed the rusted nuts. The threaded studs weren't thoroughly corroded and allowed reusing the mounting nuts. The problem was the larger holes in the the shield. Buying stainless fender washers, large diameter to cover the holes was one thought. I scrounged my pile of hardware and found several large diameter washers (larger diameter comes with larger holes) and smaller diameter washers to back up the large washers and simply remounted the heat shield. No more rattles and should last another ten years, give or take a few for salted roads corroding the washers.......

You'll have to examine how your heat shield is mounted and any interference preventing removing mounting hardware to remount it back on or if more work is needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2019, 12:27 PM   #3
Bismarck318

Location: Birthplace of Rust, FKA The Heart of the Rustbelt, AKA The Angry White Planet Ohth

2006 VUE 3.5L

The Fender washers are a good thought, though I'm not sure what they used for mounts as the L300 is a totally different animal (my dad has the Wagon) right now the shields are bouncing between the exhaust & the floor pan, but some thought before they are lost completely. The salt more often & use more aggressive chemistry here, so the thought of saving any hardware (if possible) is not too encouraging, but still worth looking into.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Bismarck318 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2019, 10:00 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

My guess is heat shields are heat shields. All mounted with nuts only. As corrosion eats into the shield, the mounting holes become larger until all of them are greater than the nut diameter - the shield rattles and falls off. While only a guess on my part and a personal solution, you'd have to examine your heat shield and mounting to determine which way to proceed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 12:19 PM   #5
KCW
Advanced Member
KCW is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L

If you dont use aluminum washers and nuts to put it back on, it will quickly oxidize off again - stainless steel does not work either.

mine fell off years ago, threw them away, never had any problems in the last 5 years of the Vues life.

The Vue in particular has a lot of space between the exhaust and the bottom of the floor, its not like a low profile car with the exhaust wedged in as close as possible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to KCW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help KCW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
KCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2019, 11:22 PM   #6
Bismarck318

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
If you dont use aluminum washers and nuts to put it back on, it will quickly oxidize off again - stainless steel does not work either.
Dissimilar metal oxidation?

Still not sure how they are on, still too kold to crawl under but I see strap loops in a couple areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCW View Post
mine fell off years ago, threw them away, never had any problems in the last 5 years of the Vues life.

The Vue in particular has a lot of space between the exhaust and the bottom of the floor, its not like a low profile car with the exhaust wedged in as close as possible.
Probably a better answer, if I can save them so be it, but I won't lose any sleep if they have to go bye bye.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!