SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2019, 04:18 PM   #1
jnoonfelt14
jnoonfelt14 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2007 AURA XE
Default Saturn Vue 2.2 Modified Short Ram Intake

I didn't see too much info on homemade cold/short ram intakes for the Vue, so I thought to share what I did. I had two different setups. *Note that I am not responsible for any damage from improper installation!*

The first setup I started with is literally removing the stock airbox lid and filter, and replacing that with a 45 degree 3 inch aluminum intercooler pipe with a 3-4 inch universal K&N cone filter. Cost me around $65 for the items. I had to cut the pipe to length, as it was too long. That can be accomplished with a metal hacksaw. Remember to file the edges smooth and wash out any metal shavings or kiss that engine goodbye. Be careful how the filter sits in the airbox as the plastic fins inside the airbox can rub on the metal screen of the filter, and I caught mine early before it started to create a hole in the filter. I just had to reangle the pipe portion so the filter sits deep inside the airbox and is pushing against the front of it so it doesn't move.

The second is an upgrade to the last setup. This cost about $90 to upgrade from the last setup. I purchased a 3 inch short ram intake for a Cobalt/Ion. I used the filter and elbow from the last setup. The only additional pieces are a universal heat shield (to prevent water getting directly on top of the filter and it also help holds up the short ram intake), a LS style MAF delete block off plate (since the Vue doesn't have a MAF), a 90 degree 3 inch silicone elbow, and drilling a hole for the IAT sensor between the MAF and the PCV (since the later Cobalt/Ion has the IAT built into the MAF) I had to reuse the IAT grommet and the throttle body hose clamp from the OEM intake system.

Here are some videos of the second setup under my youtube channel/name "Jon Noonfelt".

Overall they both sound great, but they do sound different. The second setup felt as such that it improved higher rpm performance, while the first is purely for sound. On both of these setups, the resonator was left in the bumper.

If you have any questions, feel free to comment here or send me a message directly. Hope you find this helpful.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20181219_163433352.jpg (214.6 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20190222_201922425.jpg (219.7 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnoonfelt14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnoonfelt14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnoonfelt14 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn Vue 2.2 Modified Short Ram Intake

Great post, I'm impressed! What impact - if any - did this have upon fuel economy?

303,000 miles - Holy canolli!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 01:30 PM   #3
jnoonfelt14
jnoonfelt14 will become famous soon enough

2005 VUE 2.2L
2007 AURA XE
Happy Re: Saturn Vue 2.2 Modified Short Ram Intake

Thank you, as this is my first guide on this forum.
To answer your question: So far there is no change as long as you drive relaxed and in no hurry like a grandma. If you do race the engine all the time, it does seem to consume more fuel than originally. I would be safe to assume that since it now chirps the tires on the 1-2 shift (5 Speed Manual). I won't really know the extent of it until summer comes to Michigan. Ill make an updated post or comment in the future regarding the maintenance and drawbacks of this mod.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jnoonfelt14's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jnoonfelt14 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jnoonfelt14 is offline   Reply With Quote