SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-09-2006, 06:15 PM   #1
Demz
Demz is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default speedo problems

vehicle is a 94 SC2

Symptoms:
SES light turns on then off -- code 26
Speedometer not working at all (previously was working intermittent)

i recently got finished with replacing the timing chain. now the gf refuses to drive it because the speedometer isnt working (failed right before replacing the timing chain). so i park it again and start using the search on these forums.

i found out the the 2 symptoms are related, cool im pointed in the right direction. tested the VSS, (837 Ω) and it tests out good. i tested the voltage at the plug (.220 V). according to Haynes thats faulty. further searching on the forums says i shouldnt be getting any voltage supply. IGN1 fuse is good, and i read 14 V on it w/ engine running. i took a look at the PCM, and the yellow, purple, and dark green/white wires all seem to be snug and secure.

my last guess is to tear the dash apart. one result from my searching turned up with a member with the exact same year, body, and engine with a similar symptom. they found the fault at a blown diode running to the speedo, behind the dash.

so my question is, is there anything else i should test before i start taking stuff apart? or did i pretty much narrow it down to a fault in the dash to the speedo?

Currently rep'ing:

1985 Toyota Celica GT-S
1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS

and ISO more cars :P

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Demz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Demz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Demz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-10-2006, 03:23 AM   #2
Demz

1994 SC2
Default Re: speedo problems

bump

i guess ill start tearing the dash apart tomorrow

Currently rep'ing:

1985 Toyota Celica GT-S
1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Demz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Demz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-10-2006, 05:15 AM   #3
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Please let me know what you find. I don't have an SES code but my speedo went from working intermittently to now not working at all and my wife won't ride in the car because she's afraid of running out of gas. Gee, how'd they survive before odometers?

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2006, 09:45 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Maybe people are reading the subject line, and thinking "well, this dude's on the WRONG site."

Dang, sorry, I didn't check the FSM last night. Does the odometer still count up? If so, then it's gotta be in the cluster itself, since (AFAIK), it's one wire coming into the cluster that drives the speedo and the odo.

This page: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...ipcluster.html , shows the pinouts for the connector to the cluster. Looks like it's pin A you wanna check.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2006, 11:38 AM   #5
Demz

1994 SC2

ive been sick lately so ive taken a break working on it.

i started workin on it again and cracked open the dash. the green/white wire appears to be fine. i did check all the bulbs and two were burnt out. i got them replaced. my question is were should i start checking, and how do i go about doing so?

can i reconnect the electronics and drive around testing for voltage?

thx in advance

Currently rep'ing:

1985 Toyota Celica GT-S
1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Demz's Reputation
Old 08-25-2006, 12:06 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Repeat: does the odometer still count up?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-26-2006, 12:25 PM   #7
Demz

1994 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
Repeat: does the odometer still count up?
whoops, mustve missed this the first time. yea the odo is still counting

Currently rep'ing:

1985 Toyota Celica GT-S
1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Demz's Reputation
Old 08-28-2006, 10:06 AM   #8
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demz
whoops, mustve missed this the first time. yea the odo is still counting
Then it's gotta be in the cluster, or the speedo itself. The odo counting means that the VSS is good, as is the wiring going as far as the cluster. Could it be something as simple as the needle not quite fully pressed onto the shaft that drives it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-28-2006, 12:22 PM   #9
Demz

1994 SC2

well ive got everything completely dissasembled atm. the needle is still snug on the shaft. all the components look to be in working order. so it looks like im gonna be forced to de soldering, and re soldering the components and testing them individually

Currently rep'ing:

1985 Toyota Celica GT-S
1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Demz's Reputation
Old 08-28-2006, 12:41 PM   #10
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

This is very rare !
Most or the time the speedo keeps working and the odometer quits .
you should be able to find several good speedos ,that just need the odometer gears ,that you still have working .

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2006, 06:42 PM   #11
Demz

1994 SC2

alright so ive finally found out what the problem was. for the people that were interested what the problem was:

first i got a j/y instrument panel to see if the cluster was the problem. i put it in, and take it for a drive. i watch the speedo and it doest turn on. i also notice the odometer never moves, looks like that went out recetly too. so i take all the good bulbs out of the j/y cluster and replace the bad ones on the SC's cluster.

i figure now the ECU is bad. i find a j/y one to see if im right. i install and still no luck. i do notice that now that i replace the bulbs the seat belt (not lap belt) warning light stays on, even though its obviously working.

so at this point i get frustrated and have my dad take a look at it. hes a master mechanic but hes never worked on a Saturn before. he takes a look at the wiring diagram and says its definitely the Passive Restraint Control Module. at this point i think its just stupid enough to work. but after giving some thought it makes sense, because the seat belt light stays on.

so i pull one from a j/y and start takin the one out of my Saturn. the damn thing is covered in soda, chips, etc. so i replace the PRCM, and bam. speedo comes alive, odo comes alive, seat belt lights turns off, SES light turns off, sun roof comes alive (im not even sure if it has anything to do with the PRCM , but hey it works!). all is well in the world of Saturn

Currently rep'ing:

1985 Toyota Celica GT-S
1999 Chevrolet S-10 LS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Demz's Reputation