SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-02-2010, 04:15 AM   #1
mattachuz
Advanced Member
mattachuz is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Roll Eyes electrical issues.. i think

I've had a bit of issues with my LS1 and the ignition system? is that what it would be categorized into? lol

i put the key and and it fires right up, ooor it will studder and flicker everything off and on on the dashboard lighting along with the starter engaging and disengaging over and over until im lucky enough to get enough crank for the car to fire up. when this happens it runs perfectly, one time i had the service wrench light come on but upon restarting normally the light went out. figured misfire or something along those lines.

so far:

battery tested good at walmart & autozone
starter & alternator tested good @ autozone

walmart wouldnt test my alternator, they just gave me the keys back and didnt tell me "oh it wont start goodluck " so it took a bit to get home from walmart.

so logically i went out and bought this, figured, go to the starter with the big cable, and go to the fuse block with one of the extra cables. $9.99.
battery patch kit

my hot cable had a bit of corrosion all the way down to the jacket, took some water and baking soda to it and it all came right off. (good tip i learned from a friend)

ground (neutral/black) checked out perfectly.

my hot cable going from the battery to the fuse block almost looks burned, its always looked this way since i got the car, the part that bolts to the fuse block and the cable about a inch back from there is black on the outside and clean on the inside, and i couldnt figure out how to UN-bolt the cable from the fuse block so i need a tip there please.

now i never did put the patch kit on the car, what happened after i cleaned it, well im thinking this happened, the cables were still a bit damp from the water mixture i used to clean it, because i had the same issue again from the beginning but almost worse? go figure that. once the cables dried the car started just fine..

this isnt a terrible start but it was somewhat flakey the other night

so i was thinking scenarios

1. its getting cold, moisture was getting into the cables causing a short out, but its only when i go to start the car.

2. the ignition that i had replaced a year ago might be flaking out.

3. my hot wire does need to be spliced with the patch kit, or replaced. in this scenario it looks like a ***** to get to the wire that hooks to the starter that looks like its under the exhaust directly.

so oh mighty gurus of the forum what do you think?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattachuz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattachuz is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-2010, 05:36 AM   #2
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: electrical issues.. i think

posted the wrong link to the battery repair kit!

it should be this one HERE!

for some reason it wouldnt let me edit my post

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help mattachuz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2010, 08:42 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The RED positive cable was probably damaged early on when a batch of OEM AC Delco batteries cracked at the side terminal; once side terminal damage occurs, battery acid leaks out into the battery cable wire strands and simply eats up copper wires. If the RED color now looks burned and black its probably due to the missing copper wires leaving less gauge than normal. This will now allow the remaining wires to carry the large current loads the starter needs to turn over the engine. Welding currents through compromised battery cabling will over heat them. Repairing with a patch kit won't fix it. Replace the entire RED positive cable to do it right and all your electrical problems will disappear.

The patch kit assumes the faulty cable end attached to the fuse box isn't burned so it becomes a half-assed repair. If you want a permanent repair, replace the cable. Either buy one pre-made from your local GM authorized Saturn service center or search the auto stores for a replacement. If you have to, make one. It might be difficult if there are pigtail leads off the main cable but you should examine the cable on the car and note the length and any pigtails before shopping for a replacement. Be sure to buy the same size length or a little longer since cable should be flexible enough to bend into a small radius. And be sure its the right gauge; the higher the gauge number the smaller the wire diameter so you want the smallest gauge cable for the largest wire diameter (more stranded wires) to carry the large current needed for starting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 01:13 PM   #4
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

ya my main concern with that patch kit was how small the wire that goes to the fuse box is compared to the OEM wireing, I figured I could possibly make one, but im still at a loss on how to get that bolt off the fuze box without breaking something. i looked at autozone and of course they dont have the actual cable, they have replacement hot cables the whole run, but i would have to get down to the starter to patch that in, and then try to get a patch off the hot post to go to the fuze box

what if i took both auxiliary wires from the patch kit to the fuze box, and a new wire down?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:10 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I'm not certain about the wiring for mains on the 2.2L but I would think wiring is similar to all Saturns. I know that I have a short HOT RED battery cable going to the main fuse box. I'm assuming there's another large cable from the fuse box to the starter. I won't know for sure about your wiring until I'm home to see the wiring diagram. Perhaps another 2.2L member can offer some info.

If I were you I would look over the main power wiring carefully so you get a good picture if what you'll need to fix this. At the least it would mean disconnecting the battery negative cable first so you can play with any other wire anywhere; no ground connection means no short possible. And if battery negative is disconnected then disconnect the positive cable, remove the battery and there will be more room to see what needs to be done to replace the RED main cable.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-02-2010, 02:24 PM   #6
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I'm not certain about the wiring for mains on the 2.2L but I would think wiring is similar to all Saturns. I know that I have a short HOT RED battery cable going to the main fuse box. I'm assuming there's another large cable from the fuse box to the starter. I won't know for sure about your wiring until I'm home to see the wiring diagram. Perhaps another 2.2L member can offer some info.

If I were you I would look over the main power wiring carefully so you get a good picture if what you'll need to fix this. At the least it would mean disconnecting the battery negative cable first so you can play with any other wire anywhere; no ground connection means no short possible. And if battery negative is disconnected then disconnect the positive cable, remove the battery and there will be more room to see what needs to be done to replace the RED main cable.
the way this ones setup is the hot from the battery is directly split into 2 wires.

1. goes to the starter
2. goes to the fuse block

1 looks fine,

2. looks freyed on the end but has enough cable that i can cutoff the bad part and clamp a new tip onto it.

dont know where to get this tip and i dont know how to free the bolt on the fuse block without breaking plastic.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2010, 02:48 PM   #7
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

better for now

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:06 PM   #8
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Here's the replacement info if you need to replace the cable;
Attached Files
File Type: pdf battery cable replacement 1.pdf (123.0 KB, 7 views)
File Type: pdf battery cable replacement 2.pdf (77.2 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-02-2010, 08:59 PM   #9
mattachuz
Advanced Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!