SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-16-2008, 08:37 PM   #1
Mdawg2009
Mdawg2009 is on a distinguished road

Default Out of Ideas...???

First off, im new here and im a chevy guy. I dont know a whole lot particular to saturns. I have a 2001 SL2. Last night I was driving and I developed an engine miss. Then things got worse, it felt like the car was only pulling on 1 cylinder. I pulled over, waited a while, and got the car home. The 2 miles home it seemed like it was only missing in one cylinder, then it would run fine, then back to the miss. Today I changed the spark plugs- no help. I isolated the problem to mostly the #4 piston(closest to the battery.) I thought maybe the coil was bad, so I switched them around-no help. I checked the #4 plug wire-no help. I listened closer to try to find the problem, I came to the descision maybe the injector was getting hung up. I switched the 3 and 4 injectors and the miss is still in the 4th piston. I do not know where to go from here, I have done all I know to do, and need help. The SES light is on, but I'm not in a big hurry to try to get it to a shop and pay 30 bucks for a scan. The car runs ok momentarily, then back to crap. There is no kind of pattern whatsoever. Any ideas or sugestions is appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mdawg2009's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mdawg2009 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mdawg2009 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-16-2008, 08:43 PM   #2
sc2_projekt_97
sc2_projekt_97 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Out of Ideas...???

the code is only going to tell you that there is a misfire. if you have checked fuel and spark and have them both, what is the third thing you need to run an engine? do a compression test and post up the numbers. number 4 is most common to take a **** to

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2_projekt_97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2_projekt_97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2_projekt_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Mdawg2009

The only reason I thought a compression test was not neccesary because the engine will run fine for a few minutes at a time. Does this usually happen?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Mdawg2009 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-16-2008, 09:13 PM   #4
daddio
daddio is on a distinguished road

maybe the ignition module.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to daddio's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help daddio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
daddio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 09:29 PM   #5
sc2_projekt_97
sc2_projekt_97 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddio View Post
maybe the ignition module.
95% of the time that will throw a flashing SES

still do a compression test, you may think it feels fine but different loads cause different reactions even on a dead cylinder

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2_projekt_97's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2_projekt_97 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sc2_projekt_97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 11:18 PM   #6
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really niceMikeNW is just really nice

Location: Lower Alabama= God's country, if God wanted mosquito and red ant bites, and to be covered in mildew

1997 SL

sounds like electrical problem

(you are a "Chevy guy"- will a small block fit in the Sattie?)

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #7
Mdawg2009

you can tuck a small block in anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2008, 08:34 AM   #8
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You can have a free scan from one of your favorite auto stores then write down the code(s) to post here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 10:45 PM   #9
Mdawg2009

The only parts store closer than 30 miles does not do the scan. Today I took the ignition module off of my buddies car. I hooked it up to mine and I still have this problem. Is there any way to do a general compression test, or do I have to buy the tool?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-17-2008, 11:09 PM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Some auto stores loan them out against your credit card or just buy one as a tool to add to your tool box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-18-2008, 06:37 AM   #11
Mdawg2009

I think ill start with a compression tester. It is cheaper, and I think it would help more. I will post the nubers as soon as i can.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-18-2008, 09:40 AM   #12
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

If you're gonna drop a few bucks on a tool, make it a code scanner. Shoot, I've seen OBD-II -> USB and OBD-II -> serial cables for $10-15 shipped on eBay. Free software is of limited function, but will tell you codes, along with most engine "vitals" (ECTS temp, IAT temp, MAP, etc.).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2008, 07:26 PM   #13
Mdawg2009

Just did the compression test, 150 across all 4. Can an injector get hung up temporarily? I think this might be the reason for the shattyness.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2008, 07:55 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The compression seems low but if done with a cold engine it may explaine the low numbers. At least they're all in range. This may be the reason for erratic firing in one cylinder. Have you tried an ounce or two of oil to see if the compression goes up? While the engine's idling you can listen to each injector with a long handled screwdriver pressed to each injector with the handle in your ears. You'll know a missing injector when you don't hear it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2008, 12:35 AM   #15
samsr
samsr is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
1997 SC2

All right, Back to the basics. Being a chevy guy you know very well that a spark plug wire may cause this miss and the easiest way to find this is to wait for night fall, pop the hood and start the fireworks display(start the car)
No fire works display, you say.
How many miles on the little satty. close to 100000. You may want to change the fuel filter as this is supposed to be done at 100000 miles. A good way to find out iif the filter is geting plugged is; When the car is first fired up the engine runs great, however, after running down the road or at high rps the miss starts to come into play.
The simple explanation is when the fuel pump is not running and has no pressure in the system the junk falls to the bottom of the filter. Now when the engine is running and the pump is running the junk in the bottom of the filter gets pumped back up into the filter, thus clogging it up.
The major NO,NO with a saturn is platinum plugs. NO PLATINUM PLUGS.
You probably ran the compression check with the plugs in or the engin cold. That would explain the lower readings. Even readings are what it is all about. Check the plug wires and the plugs, Make sure no platinums are in there. A fuel pressure reading may help things also.
Last though. Clean the egr and ports, The egr valve may be sticking and causing the shuttering you describe.

15 S-series put back on the road.
Now working on a 2000 LW2 v6 auto. Timing belt, 2 intake valves and more getting discovered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to samsr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help samsr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
samsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 03:21 PM   #16
Mdawg2009

Ok, ran the compression test warm, all of the numbers were within two psi of156.This rough running is the whole time the car is running. It occasionally misses on more than one cylinder, but not for a long period of time. If the fuel filter is clogged will it do this at all rpms? Also would the lack of fuel be isolated in the fourth cylinder? I also found that the miss gets no worse when I either eliminate the spark or eliminate the fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2008, 04:20 PM   #17
daddio

what do the spark plugs look like? reading the color on the insulators of them is a good indicator as to whats happening in the combustion chamber. i.e. - when everything is right the insulators should be a light tan color. whitish- it running too lean, black or sooty it's too rich.

i used to have a URL for a good site with pics to compare to. i'll see if i can find it and put it up. or someon may have psoted one up on here somewhere. you might want to search for it here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help daddio reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2008, 05:11 PM   #18
Mdawg2009

2 of the 3 I have out look fine. The other one is black, there is no buildup, just a black overlay. I think the black one would be from the number four cylinder.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-21-2008, 08:06 PM   #19
daddio

looks like you're getting too much fuel in the #4 cylinder then. possibly a leaky injector.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2008, 10:11 AM   #20
daddio

just in case someone needed that plug chart:

http://www.verrill.com/moto/sellingg...colorchart.htm

REWARD EXCELLENCE!