SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2009, 11:13 PM   #21
acemueller
acemueller is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1992 SL2
Default Re: 1992 SL2 - bad gas?

Thanks for the article. It's a complex world. Oh for the days of idle jet screws and a dwell meter...

I think I'll pull all of the vacuum hoses and replace them with vacuum tubing next.

The idle seems low - about 600, judging from the tach in the dash. But when it's in a good mood, it will sit there at the curb at that indefinetly.

You mentioned the IACV. Have you ever seen the IACV cause these particular symptoms, or only issues when one is intent on idling.

As I watch the symptoms, I'm seeing the pattern being mostly when I start to decelerate (pull back on the pedal), although a couple times in the 30 to 40 MPH range, it has just jerked out of the blue.

I'll let you know if the vacuum hoses help. I won't be able to pull the IACV for awhile because I'll either have to pull the TB, or find a ratched with the right size torx.

Thomas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acemueller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acemueller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acemueller is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

If the iacv is broken or stuck in one position, it will keep the same idle speed. Its always being adjusted by command from the PCM to fine tune the idle speed from cold start-up at 1200rpm to a normal 800-900rpm. Its also used to bump the rpm up when the a/c is used. If you can remove the iacv and tps, you can clean out the rest of the TBI on the car. Just be sure you don't lose any gaskets.

On the (standard now) regular throttle body, there's a bypass hole in front of the closed throttle plate that's normally used as the supplemental air supply for the iacv to adjust the idle; its also used to troubleshoot an iacv problem. If the hole is covered the idle will drop immediately from 800-900rpm to 500-600rpm. This is the factory setting of the throttle stop screw before the iacv is used to control the bypass air port. Once the hole is uncovered the idle speed suddenly jumps up before the PCM detects and readjusts the idle back to 800-900rpm. Yout TBI should operate the same way. It should be before the throttle plate, off to one side with the throttle plate closed and visible. Passages in the TBI connect to the iacv and back out below the throttle plate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2009, 03:07 PM   #23
acemueller
acemueller is on a distinguished road

1998 SL
1992 SL2

I'm sorry I disappeared for 36 hours. Long story.

Short form: I'm over the hump: I replaced the four obvious vacuum lines around the TB (TB>MAP, TB>ERG, TB>somewhere below the input manifold, TB>some other sensor between the TB and the head). No change. Still code 34 (low value on MAP sensor).

Based on your observations about the symptoms related to the IACV, and on having fixed most of the things associated with the MAP error, I replaced the MAP.

Seems to work fine?!

BUT. I still get a 23 (CTS circuit low), and 34 (MAP low). I "erased" them and they came back after about 4 minutes of driving. But otherwise, it drives fine now. I'll let this thread die and assuming it keeps working well this week, I'll start again next weekend.

Thank youall - especially FDRYER - for all the insight!

Thomas.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acemueller's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acemueller reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acemueller is offline   Reply With Quote