SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-29-2008, 09:51 AM   #1
violetfxs
violetfxs is on a distinguished road

Default 2002 SC2 - Won't start

I have a 2002 5 speed SC2, 71,000 kms. Yesterday I drove over to a store, parked the car and when I came back and turned the key the car wouldn't start. The lights all came on, the radio and headlights as well. And yes I had the car in neutral and the clutch depressed. The engine just wouldn't turn over until my 4th attempt at turning the key. There was complete silence from the car. It happened again a few hours later, but this time the car wouldn't start until the 8th or 9th time i turned the key. I'm going to double check my oil levels when I get home, didn't think this would be an issue since I had an oil change not even 3 months ago and it had a brand new batter installed just this summer. Any suggestions on things I could check before I take it into the shop?? Thanks in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to violetfxs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help violetfxs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
violetfxs is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2008, 09:54 AM   #2
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Re: 2002 SC2 - Won't start

Sounds like it could be the starter... next time it does not start climb under there and tap the starter, if it starts... that's what you need. Another thing you should do is check all the cables for the battery starter and alternator for corrosion and or loose connection. I would not take it to a shop, with the help on here you will still get it solved but at way less to your exspense.

It is also possible to be a clutch safety switch.

Do you have the brass ECT?

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:29 PM   #3
violetfxs
violetfxs is on a distinguished road

Thanks, I'll try your suggestions tonight.

How would I know if it's the clutch safety switch? And what would I need to do to fix that?

I've called around and the ECTS is hard to find! But they have one which I'm going to get and replace. I meant to do that when I first got the car, and of course didn't...in fact I should check if it's already been replaced. The guy I bought the car from was really particular about the car. Is there a difference in how the original looks as opposed to the brass ECTS?

Fingers crossed...thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to violetfxs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help violetfxs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
violetfxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #4
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

saturn should have it, and so should most aftermarket parts stores. You need to check the connector to make sure that its not corroded as well.

If you get aftermarket ects you need to get teflon tape or it will not fit and will leak.

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor Connector Replacement
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yQx84-93WkE

Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor R&R Saturn S-series
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JC0U53w_Htk

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...=safety+switch

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote