saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 07-13-2020, 03:15 PM   #1
Russet
Russet has a spectacular aura aboutRusset has a spectacular aura about

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Saturn L300 power window switch Driver side

Since I got my Saturn L300 '03 back from the shop for valve job. I noticed a new problem. It's the driver side windows switch that seems to go on the fritz and if I connect another used driver switch it will lower and raise the window but soon after that it stop responding. I tried other driver side switch and they seems to exhibit this same problem. Is that fault of the switch? I did replace the window motor - which I think wasn't the problem since swapping the Switch it would lower and raise the window but if you waited doing nothing it would act as though the switch is was dead but I know the driver side passenger switch work and locks the windows as well. So what is going on with my driver side window Switch?

It can't be the motor or are the driver side switch expiring?
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #2
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Saturn L300 power window switch Driver side

OK, so let me get this right?

The Drivers side window motor has been replaced, but the window operation is intermittent. Correct?

You have swapped out the switch for another one and that does not correct the intermittent operation. Correct?

That indicates to me that having tried TWO switches and you still have the intermittent issue, that pretty much says, the switch is OK and the issue happens with 2 different switches.

In that case, it may be more likely that you have a power issue going to the window motor or the motor itself. Just because you have replaced the motor, that is no guarantee that it is fine.

Because the wiring for the motor passes from the body and into the door, you can sometimes get a situation where the wiring may break at the bend and consequently, it may connect, then disconnect giving an intermittent operation.

Recently my son told me his 2003 L300 Drivers door window had suddenly stopped working. It was one of 3 things, switch, wiring or motor. I also checked the fuse to ensure there were no issues with a bad or wonky fuse.

I actually removed the switch unit on the console and unclipped it down to basic components. I did find that the contacts were grubby, so I cleaned everything on the circuit board with electronic cleaner and Qtips, then reassembled. It still didn't work, but at least it was clean! We used the multimeter to double check that power was flowing to the switch. that checked out fine.

I bit the bullet and ordered a complete window regulator and motor from RA as the individual cost wasn't any saving. When that arrived, we removed the door card and checked power to the motor and it was fine. So that told us the motor was bad. We swapped out the complete unit and the window works fine again.

Out of curiosity, after removing the old regulator/motor, I checked everything for operation. The regulator worked fine but the motor was kaput. When I disassembled the motor, the innards had rust inside. It would never have worked in a month of Sundays. it was the original assembly, so not complaining after 17 years of service.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 01:51 AM   #3
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

FWIW, Russet, I believe that floridasl22002's analysis is very reasonable. So I tend to agree that the problem isn't with the switch, but is instead inside of the driver's door.
338,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2020, 05:30 PM   #4
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

It's not intermittent it just doesn't work after a few up and down. I know because if I use another used switch it goes up and down and then stops working. So it's not the motor as there is no burned odor smell. I know my GMC van when that burned the motor you could smell it. I know something is the switch as if I flipped the connectors around the driver passenger windows immediately goes down. So something is contacting when it shouldn't maybe not the way to test but had to do that to find out what was going on. I am going to unsolder that switch and from another switch with the passenger side switch change it out and see what happens to it. I do know if I clean with rubbing alcohol it starts work and then when it dries stops working. So something is contacting until the alcohol dries and then stop working. So now is to unsolder the driver side switch and swap the switches as they all look the same type. As that my last resort after soldering a different switch would be buy a new one from RockAuto.

Last edited by Russet; 07-28-2020 at 05:32 PM. Reason: revise
Old 07-29-2020, 10:16 AM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You cannot swap switches to the drivers switch. It is different to all the other 3 as it has the express up/down feature. The others don't.

If you believe it is the switch, then I would just buy a new switch assembly and be done with it.

If you believe there is wiring that is causing the issue, then you need to follow the trail of wiring. If there is a short, the most likely culprit could be the bend at the door.

I don't agree that a bad motor will give off a bad odor. My son's didn't and it was the motor.
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2020, 03:48 PM   #6
Russet

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I replaced the switches and it worked before stopping again. So it's not the motor since it works if I changed the switch. Those switches look the same the Express is separate from the main switch. To use the Express that is a small button located in front of the switch that is clicked when you press farther down to function. I looked up how to dissemble that switch online but the video I found only showed it removed already not telling how one pops the top side of the switch open. The video I found didn't tell nor show how to do that. If I can find a video like that I can find the right tool to remove it. I did find one for 42 from RockAuto but I like to take apart my other one to see is wrong before doing so. I'll mention this again the motor was new motor that I replaced it with.