SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-11-2010, 10:24 AM   #1
netshadow
netshadow is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Dizzy Changing engine and BCM, compatible years?

I've got a 98 SL1 auto that I'm done fighting with weird engine problems, I'm going to buy a smashed car with a good engine. With all the swap guides I've read/searched for, I'm still not really sure what I can use.

If I'm keeping my good auto transmission, what years can I use without causing any unneeded problems in the swap?

Meanwhile, I decided to start it after it sitting all summer. The battery was totally dead, which surprised me a bit, since it sat most of last winter, outside, and started right up in March... Anyway, I took the battery out, stuck it on a charger for a day or so. The second I connected the battery, the high-beams came on. Light switch is off, thought that was strange. As soon as I started it, the gauges started jumping, and headlights were turning on and off. Then I get the familiar 'smell'. Ya know, that burning electronics smell? Shut the car off immediately and removed the battery again.

I haven't bothered to check under the dash yet, but I'm guessing the 98 year has a Delco BCM? What years are compatible units? Will I need access to tech 2 to program the BCM from another car? Is my odometer stored in the BCM? Will GM even let me program a used BCM in my car?

Sorry, so many questions... Thanks in advance though!
----
98 Saturn SL1 - 160k - project...
99 Nissan Altima - 300k - old reliable
06 Smart Fortwo Cabrio CDi - 55k - 75mpg fun runabout
01 Mazda Tribute AWD - 160k - wife's vehicle
netshadow is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2010, 10:35 AM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Changing engine and BCM, compatible years?

Fortunately for you, your '98 doesn't have a body control module (BCM). They were added on for model year 2000.

You'll need to inspect where the smoke originated from. It may be possible the light switch stalk, controlling headlights/tail lights/instrument panel lighting, may be where the burning occurred.
VCX NANO
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 10:53 AM   #3
netshadow

1998 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Fortunately for you, your '98 doesn't have a body control module (BCM). They were added on for model year 2000.

You'll need to inspect where the smoke originated from. It may be possible the light switch stalk, controlling headlights/tail lights/instrument panel lighting, may be where the burning occurred.
Perfect, stalk is a lot easier to deal with. I'll disconnect the light switch before I put the battery back in and try again.

Now I just need an engine...
----
Old 11-13-2010, 06:07 PM   #4
netshadow

1998 SL1

Still haven't found an answer to my original question about compatible engines to replace my 98 SOHC. Don't want to start a swap and find that the fuel system, mounts, or manifolds are different. All the guides seem to be for a DOHC...
----