SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General

Old 07-28-2007, 11:40 AM   #1
Mike88
Mike88 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default timing chain replacement?

I'm the new owner of a 2001 L200, manual trans with 78,000 miles and I've been reading up on the timing chain failures. I'm a student and plan to take this car on long 6 hour drives several times per month to and from school. I have a couple of questions regarding the timing chain:

-Is it worth replacing as a preventive measure or should I just cross my fingers and hope my chain does not fail?
-Can the job be done in my driveway, with help from my very handy father? If so, any recommendations and how long should I expect the work to take?
-Can someone locate me the part number for the updated timing chain kit with upgraded oiler nozzle (I would hate the buy an old chain kit, install it and not even solve the problem).
-Approximately how much does the updated kit cost from the dealer and is a similar and cheaper aftermarket kit available?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2007, 11:49 AM   #2
L100
Advanced Member
L100 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: timing chain replacement?

I have 139,000 miles on mine. Crossing my fingers, I haven't had a problem yet. If it does happen, it may be an excuse to get an Aura.
L100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM   #3
Mike88

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

no one has any advice or help for me?
Old 07-29-2007, 12:19 PM   #4
Fastwrx
Fastwrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
I'm the new owner of a 2001 L200, manual trans with 78,000 miles and I've been reading up on the timing chain failures. I'm a student and plan to take this car on long 6 hour drives several times per month to and from school. I have a couple of questions regarding the timing chain:

-Is it worth replacing as a preventive measure or should I just cross my fingers and hope my chain does not fail?
-Can the job be done in my driveway, with help from my very handy father? If so, any recommendations and how long should I expect the work to take?
-Can someone locate me the part number for the updated timing chain kit with upgraded oiler nozzle (I would hate the buy an old chain kit, install it and not even solve the problem).
-Approximately how much does the updated kit cost from the dealer and is a similar and cheaper aftermarket kit available?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Timing chain should be done by 100k
I could do it in my driveway, but it would be a P.I.T.A ( I'm also A.S.E. cert.)
In your driveway figure on a weekend project (if your father is good with overhead cam engines.) it is paramount that the engine is rotated to top dead center on #1 cyl before even taking old chain off. the chain has to be snaked around the castings inside of the timing cover with the guides off, then guides are added and new chain will have timing marks on it (different colored links that will need to be lined up with the cam sprockets and crank sprocket accordingly.........wont be fun in your driveway.
Fastwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2007, 01:26 PM   #5
Mike88

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Hey thanks, FastWRX. How much should I figure to pay at a garage for the job?
Old 07-29-2007, 04:42 PM   #6
Mike88

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Would replacing just the oiler nozzle with the upgraded oiler nozzle be an adequate preventive measure? Also, can an upgraded oiler nozzle be obtained from the dealer?
Old 07-30-2007, 07:47 PM   #7
tomlct
tomlct has a spectacular aura abouttomlct has a spectacular aura about

You should look at L-Series Tech. There is a sticky at the top, with this exact subject, including some very good photos. I think it be useful to you.
tomlct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2007, 10:26 PM   #8
Mike88

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlct View Post
You should look at L-Series Tech. There is a sticky at the top, with this exact subject, including some very good photos. I think it be useful to you.
yeah I read that sticky already. The photos don't work anymore though and I'm not able to post in that thread because its over 365 days old. I have several questions that that sticky did not answer. Thanks anyways tho.
Old 08-08-2007, 07:36 PM   #9
Fastwrx
Fastwrx is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Hey thanks, FastWRX. How much should I figure to pay at a garage for the job?
Dont know how much the labor rate is by you, but I think it is like a 5.8 hour job (maybe) it has been about a year and a half since I was at the dealership though. Yes, you can purchase the updated oiler at parts dept. of your dealer but to access it you might as well do the chain too. Do yourself a favor though, dont get it done anywhere but your Saturn dealer.......I had to fix many chains that small garages "F'd" up on "L" cars. Oh, by the way, I still have my shop manuals on the "L" series here at home.......could be persuaded to sell them if needed.
Fastwrx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM   #10
born again
born again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to allborn again is a name known to all

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have wondered why my "last post" on the Tech sticky wasn't added to. There is no reason to do a preventative timing chain replacement. My experience is that a worn chain will make noise for a brief period after the engine is started cold. There have been a few catastrophic early chain failures reported on this site, but statistically it is an unlikely event. If you are not getting the clatter, don't worry about it. I had as much trouble with wear of the chain tensioner. But ultimately the chain elongates as it wears and eventually needs replacement. If you are stapped for cash, just change the chain, oiler, and tensioner. The guides on mine were almost perfect. You can easily inspect the tensioner by unscrewing it from the block. Look for looseness and scoring of the piston in the bore.

Regarding expected life, about 115,000 miles. Can you change it in the driveway? Yes. I did. I took about 9-10 hours, but I was not rushing.
born again is offline   Reply With Quote