SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General

Old 08-01-2020, 05:27 PM   #1
lrbraner
lrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the roughlrbraner is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2003 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default 2.4 timing chain replacement

A friend has asked me to help him change the timing chain on his 2008 Aura 2.4. It has 150K on it. Some noise in the chain area, also some metal flakes on the VVT solenoids.
Is there sufficient room to do it with engine in the car ?
We will be replacing the chain guides and tensioner as well.Any helpful advice is appreciated.
2002 L300 Sedan
2003 LW300 Wagon
2005 L300 Sedan
lrbraner is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-01-2020, 11:00 PM   #2
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: 2.4 timing chain replacement

Quote:
Originally Posted by lrbraner View Post
A friend has asked me to help him change the timing chain on his 2008 Aura 2.4. It has 150K on it. Some noise in the chain area, also some metal flakes on the VVT solenoids.
Is there sufficient room to do it with engine in the car ?
We will be replacing the chain guides and tensioner as well.Any helpful advice is appreciated.
This engine is a bored and stroked version of our ECOTOC 2.2L engines. It uses the same timing chain, all three chain guides, crankshaft gear, timing cover gasket, crankshaft front seal, crankshaft damper bolt, and vibration damper (or crankshaft pulley).

In all likelihood this can be done while in the engine bay as it can be done so on the L Series car. However, someone should acquire a good set of instructions for this procedure and study them carefully in advance. (There is a Chilton aftermarket repair manual available for this car. Otherwise, consider using AllDataDIY.com and purchasing a subscription - varying lengths of time are offered.) The job is labor intensive and therefore somewhat time consuming. Don't be in a hurry as haste will not serve anyone well. I had to purchase a crankshaft pulley holder tool so that the crankshaft could be held in place while removing the damper bolt. The damper bolt must be replaced and not reused. (It is a "torque to yield" bolt designed for one installation only. Period. Some members here have reused those bolts, but the factory says otherwise and I'd go with the factory information.) Additionally, I needed to use a 1/2" drive impact wrench (this one was electric) to remove the damper bolt as the torque value is high. Logistically, it also required the use of extensions attached from the socket to the wrench due to the frame's obstruction and the size of the wrench itself. Be sure to have a 1/2" and 3/8" torque ratchet on hand for reassembly.

Please don't take anything for granted when approaching this job. It was very helpful and necessary for me to study the procedure since I'd never worked on a DOHC timing system before. That having been said: if I can do it then I believe that other intelligent members here in SaturnFans can also do it.
338,000 miles - Holy canolli!
Joe Biden for POTUS and Kamala Harris for VEEP. What follows if they get their way? A bad economy, weak military, increased terrorism and a greater RED CHINA.

Last edited by pierrot; 08-01-2020 at 11:08 PM.
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2020, 05:34 AM   #3
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: 2.4 timing chain replacement

This video gives a helpful overview.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hScoa75q7A
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote