SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-29-2020, 08:09 PM   #1
Jpops
Jpops is on a distinguished road

Default Stripped new inner tie rod, HELP!

Wife's 2007 Vue has been shaking when coming to a stop so I'm replacing the tie rods. I ordered ACDelco 45A2218 {#19255616} (inner tie rod) from RockAuto. I sprung for the professional version at substantial extra cost thinking it would be a higher quality part. heh.

As I was installing the first one, I got it to finger tight, got my loaner tie rod wrench on it, and set my torque wrench to 74 ft-lbs. I started torquing it down waiting for the "click" and was thinking that it wasn't getting harder to turn. All of a sudden it got easier. The threads stripped on the tie rod end! As far as I can tell the threads in the hole are intact. I tried the second one I ordered and it did the same, never really got tight and started to get easier. Only the first two threads got damaged as I was expecting it and didn't torque it very much.

Has anyone else run into this problem? Did I just get a bum set of parts from Rock Auto? I'm trying to return and replace, I don't really want the same ones if they'll come from the same distributor and likely have the same issue.

Help!
Jpops is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-30-2020, 05:29 PM   #2
imaddicted2u
Advanced Member
imaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to beholdimaddicted2u is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: Stripped new inner tie rod, HELP!

According to GM parts giant there are 2 different outer tie rod ends for your model year. I don't see the inners listed. I can't say what the difference is, perhaps thread size? One is for option code CV2 and the other is listed as EXC CV2. Fill in your vehicle details to find out which rod end is for yours. Also,check your options code sticker to see if CV2 is there or not.
https://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts-l..._assembly.html
2008 Saturn Aura XE 3.5L 4 spd
2000 Saturn SL1 1.9L SOHC (Retired)

Last edited by imaddicted2u; 07-30-2020 at 05:38 PM.
imaddicted2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:21 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpops View Post
Wife's 2007 Vue has been shaking when coming to a stop so I'm replacing the tie rods. I ordered ACDelco 45A2218 {#19255616} (inner tie rod) from RockAuto. .......Only the first two threads got damaged as I was expecting it and didn't torque it very much....
If the first two threads stripped, this suggests the tie rod diameter is larger than the hole or worse, incorrect threads. Threading a larger piece into a smaller hole may be your problem or mismatched threads.

When in doubt about thread size, one of the easiest ways to check thread pitch and diameter is by eye. Compare your original tie rod threads against the new ones. Equal external threads with mesh together. Different threads won't mesh at all. Your original tie rod is already matched to the threaded hole so the tie rod
is the master for external and internal threads.

I noticed on rockauto two ACDelco inner tie rods, ACDelco 45A2218(oem 19255616) and ACDelco 46A2218A (oem 19358171).........When possible, I prefer to know what the thread sizes are when in doubt to preclude problems like this.

The politics of america with big industry refused to accept the metric system already accepted world wide. As industry slowly came around to adjusting to reality to survive, the metric system was adopted. This is where america is at presently, a mix of SAE and metric standards with garages full of tools for both systems. Personally, I despise the metric system but understand its a necessary evil as I'm always using conversion calculators (C to F, psi to kpa, liters to cubic inches, etc).
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2020, 08:44 AM   #4
Jpops
Jpops is on a distinguished road

The only difference I can find between 46A2218 and 46A2218A is that the "A" is supposed to be in ACDELCO's Advantage line and therefore cheaper. The base part (without the A) is the professional version.
Jpops is offline   Reply With Quote