SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General

Old 07-07-2020, 05:46 PM   #1
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Rack preload

I have noisy front end. Did all the struts, mounts, sway bar stuff. Caliper guide pins too. So, 1 vue is silent. My 2nd vue is noisy when I wiggle the steering wheel. No, it’s not the intermediate shaft. I have a rattle over bumps in road. I think it is the rack. read you can adjust rack preload. Vs replacing rack? Think is a thing to investigate?
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2020, 08:14 PM   #2
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: Rack preload

Rack preload is not adjustable. This could either be noise from the rack or some of the early model Vues had issues with too wide of a gear lash between the gears in the steering motor. The only fix was to replace the electric motor. Something to check though is where the rag joint is by the stub shaft coming off the electric motor. It has a pinch bolt securing the joint to the stub shaft. Some of those I saw cause a rattle noise over bumps or uneven pavement from the bolt not being completely tight. Mostly I saw that on 04-05 Vues and not on the older ones, something simple to check though.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2020, 09:29 PM   #3
Cavell
Advanced Member
Cavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of lightCavell is a glorious beacon of light

2003 VUE 3.0L

I compared both rigs. Both have same noise from boost unit under dash. Which I think is minor. I think the real noise is from the rack
Old 07-15-2020, 06:52 PM   #4
Cavell
Advanced Member

2003 VUE 3.0L

Saw a video of guy who removed knuckle assy thru firewall and he had click from power unit when he turned steering wheel. Sound was coming from boost unit and he was puzzled. Thatís why I see boost units removed from junkyard vues. For internal gear slop noise?