SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-27-2014, 03:01 PM   #1
rscamaro73
rscamaro73 is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 SL-1 random high idle

OK. Have read numerous posts all over the interwebs.

They've helped....but I'm stumped.

My idle will run normal (about 7-800) first thing when I leave home. 15-20 min when I hit a stop sign its up to 1500 or so. Occasionally it runs to 2000. Sometimes it peaks to 3000. At that point t I shut it down and half the time it drops to 1500-2000. Sometimes I can shut it off for an extended stop and it idles normal.
Nothing I can do makes any of it repeatable.

So....as far as repairs....
-intake gasket...felpro
-New plugs... wires
-New coil packs and ignition module
- new .010 orifice pcv valve (yesterday)
- recent fuel filter
-2 new coolant sensors (intake tract and block)
-new TPS
-new idle air valve
-cleaned tb NUMEROUS times

Even reset battery a few times.

SPECS: 2001 SL1...5 SPD. 243500 miles

I'm ready to listen.....thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rscamaro73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rscamaro73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rscamaro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-27-2014, 03:32 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 SL-1 random high idle

Throttle body gasket leak?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 06:19 PM   #3
brian74
brian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the roughbrian74 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL1
2002 SC2

I've been battling the same issue in my 01 SL. Mine would first act up idling intermittently over 2000 rpm until I wiggled the TPS connector; it was also throwing TPS codes. I replaced the connector eventually, as well as installed the proper thermostat, ECT, and ECT connector, and even tried a different throttle body and IAC. Now it still sometimes idles at 1600 at completely random occasions. I am going to try another TPS that I got from the JY (autozone replacement was worse). Unlikely a vacuum leak, because it idles right back down to normal with a key off cycle.

All I can suggest is obtain and plug in a decent scanner and see what temps and voltages your ECM is seeing when it does this. I hate throwing money out for a scanner but I may just do so at some point myself. You can buy one these days for about twice the amount a shop will charge too hook one up.

2001 SL1 215k miles; daily driver
2002 SC2 166k (sold)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brian74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brian74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brian74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2014, 07:18 PM   #4
mrriden
mrriden is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL1

Leaking injector O ring? Just a guess but a cheap one.

'02 SC2 'The Schnoot'
'94 SL2 'Beauty' (R.I.P.)
'02 SL1 'Silver Lining'

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrriden's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrriden reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrriden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:24 AM   #5
rscamaro73
rscamaro73 is on a distinguished road

If it drops with a key off it sounds like dirty pintle on idle air inlet sensor in tb. Had that too.

I've now also put on a new EGR valve. No dice. Still random idle that stays elevated. Have a new tb gasket inbound and will clean it again and use new gasket. Plus a touch of rtv as a seal. Will look over wiring for these parts also. Just can't get a clue as to the issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rscamaro73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rscamaro73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rscamaro73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2014, 06:10 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

What's the coolant temperature after full warm up? Replacing the coolant sensor with a flat nosed brass one only cures the errant signals from the original sensor. This won't correct a worn thermostat that may leak and keep the engine running cooler than it should. Temperature needle position should be between the 1/4 and 1/2 mark (185F-195F). A colder running engine may allow the pcm to continue with erratic fuel mixtures resulting in erratic idle rpm's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote