SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 06-26-2004, 11:58 AM   #1
auxmike
auxmike is on a distinguished road

Wrench Changing Lower Tranny Transmission Mount

NOTE:I can only post 4 pics to each post,so that's why this is a multipart post.Charlie,if you can turn this into a one piece "Suit" it would be great!
OK,you wanted pics,here's TON!

DISCLAIMER:I don't recommend you try this at home.I'm just showing you a job I did today.I'm not suggesting you try this.You're better off going to a real mechanic.You could seriously damage the car or get hurt!
This was done on a MANUAL tranny equipped 1997 SL2.I'll bet the auto might be tougher to do,since that tranny is bigger.

Let's begin.
Jack up car,remover drivers {left} front tire.Lug nuts are METRIC 19mm.Use a jackstand for extra safety.
Remove the two pushpin fasteners.Try two small screwdrivers at either end then cutters to grip and pull it out.

Hot Tip:either put silicone spray or some clean oil on the center part you push in.This way next time it will slide out real easy.

Next,remove the plastic splash shields,there's two parts.

Make sure your new part matches up.

Loosen and remove lower cradle nut,it's 15mm.

Here's the side view,you'r best off staying here,not under the car.

..On to pt.2

Last edited by auxmike; 06-26-2004 at 12:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to auxmike's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2004, 12:02 PM   #2
auxmike

Default HOW TO:Change lower tranny transmission mount Pt.2

Part two.

Here's a FSM diagram.You DON'T jack up under the oil pan.Notice where the jack is?

Put a decent sized piece of wood under the tranny to proect it from the jack.Don't be a weenie like me and use a tiny piece!

ALLDATA does not state you need to remove or loosen ANY other mounts to do this.So I did'nt mess with the upper torque axis mount.Open the hood so you don't have the engine push it up!
Carefully jack up the tranny.Nice and slow watch and listen as you go.You will hear the threads of the lower nut's stud scraping the mounting hole in the cradle.Once it's out it will pop out towards you a bit.

Remove the two 10mm bolts at the top of the mount.Use a SIX point socket,these strip real easy!

on to part 3!

Last edited by auxmike; 06-26-2004 at 12:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help auxmike reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
auxmike

Default HOW TO:Change lower tranny transmission mount Pt.3

Well,looks like the old mount was a bit sagging,no?

I found it best to drop in the new mount right on the cradle,no bolts yet.WHY?Because the angle is so off when you bolt them on then attempt to lower into that hole in the cradle.Looked impossible.
I then lowered the jack till it was just resting on the mount to put the two top bolts in.

VERY HARD PART WHERE YOU CAN SCREW UP:
The mount did'nt line right up with the holes.I had to get my Dad to help.I quick grabbed a 4"X4" 8 ft. piece of fence post I keep behind the back seat of my ride for protection.
I had to pry the whole tranny forward while he put in the bolts.
I'm sure this could damage something or crush a brake line.SO DON'T DO THIS!

After I got those bolts in they were torqued down to 24ft. lbs. .Use a SIX point socket!My bolts stripped right away with the 12 point socket.

On to part 4.
I hate doing this like this but only 4 lousy pics per post!

Last edited by auxmike; 06-26-2004 at 12:18 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:07 PM   #4
auxmike

Default HOW TO:Change lower tranny transmission mount Pt.4

Replace the lower 15mm nut to cradle with a NEW one,torque to 37 ft. lbs.

Look everything over,replace the shields and push pins.Remount tire,put on 4 lug nuts.Torque to 103 ft. lbs.

This took about an hour to do.I think this will make a big difference more for the auto tranny owners.
The mount is P/N 21012951.$33.34 cost.15mm locknut P/N 21006320.56 cents cost.I reused the 10mm bolts.
If any one has a question or comment,or if a tech sees some major boo boo's here,please chime in!

I hope someome can make this into one big post for me..

Last edited by auxmike; 06-26-2004 at 12:15 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2004, 12:16 PM   #5
coliphage
coliphage is on a distinguished road

Great job!

One question here:

Isn't the torque for trans mount bolt 52 ftlbs?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to coliphage's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help coliphage reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2004, 12:29 PM   #6
auxmike

No sir,
That's the "dogbone" mount-to-cradle bracket and dogbone mount-to-engine bracket fastener's torque spec.Too much for this application.
You'd probably snap those little bolts off or strip the aluminum with that kinda grip!
I checked all this stuff with my ALLDATA acount.
:o:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2004, 01:13 PM   #7
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Mike

Your pictures made all the difference to this opertion. I can fully understand the added efforts you had to go through to include these pictures. Most appreciative.

Can I be your friend. LOL !!!!!

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2004, 01:22 PM   #8
auxmike

Thanks Luke.I like taking pics.
You already did this,right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2004, 01:57 PM   #9
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

I like your photo quality, it feels like I am there.

I use one of these when I photograph dismantled cars mid-job because of the grease on my hands and desire not to gunk up my nice camera. Pretty junky thing from wally's. But your pix rock this board.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2004, 02:20 PM   #10
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

I got's a question!

Just how did you get away with not removing the battery and tray for this job? I'm guessing you don't have ABS or something, otherwise the trans. would have hit that like I think it would do on mine.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2004, 03:02 PM   #11
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm Mike
You already did this,right?
Yes.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-26-2004, 05:11 PM   #12
auxmike

Quote:
Originally posted by 94SL2withphone
I got's a question!

Just how did you get away with not removing the battery and tray for this job? I'm guessing you don't have ABS or something, otherwise the trans. would have hit that like I think it would do on mine.
Hmmm....
Well,I don't have ABS.
ALLDATA made no mention of hitting anything either.I have a K&N cone filter so all that airbox stuffs not in the way.
Don't know if I jacked it up high enough to hit the batt. tray either.
I only needed jack up about 1.5 inches to clear the mounting stud.
You guys are all bringing to light stuff that it would be good to be sized up BEFORE attempting this.
I just winged it as I went.The group can "fine tune" the procedure.Everyone benefits then.
I DID remember to open the hood though....

Last edited by auxmike; 06-26-2004 at 05:17 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-26-2004, 05:16 PM   #13
auxmike

Quote:
Originally posted by eljefino
I like your photo quality, it feels like I am there.
*****Thanks!Yeah, the camera got a little dirty.

I use one of these when I photograph dismantled cars mid-job because of the grease on my hands and desire not to gunk up my nice camera. Pretty junky thing from wally's. But your pix rock this board.
*****I use a Nikon Coolpix 2000.2 MegaPixel.Has great closup capabilities.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #14
Red97sc2
Advanced Member
Red97sc2 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
2005 ION-2 Sedan

About re-installing the bolts: Couldn't you have put the two upper bolts on and the lower bolt, then, as you lowered the assembly down, guided the mount so that the lower bolt would start to enter the lower bolt hole? Just trying to figure out a better way than the 4x8 that you used.

Also, what was the end result? How is your ride now after the mount was installed? After I replaced my TAM I noticed a HUGE difference in the vibs inside the SL2.

Thanks!

BTW: Nice job on the step by steps. For some one like me, I really need pics.

2002 Dodge Grand Caravan.
2001 SL2 - Daughters School Vehicle.
1970 Mercury Cougar: 351C, 4spd. Classic for shows.
2005 Ion Level 2 5m - To work and around town vehicle.
2006 P71 Gold 140k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Red97sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Red97sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-27-2004, 07:43 AM   #15
auxmike

I tried putting the two upper bolts in loose,but it did'nt have enough play in it to reach the stud hole in the cradle.The whole transaxle moved back and towards me a bit.
I was'nt thrilled about using the wood,but I just reacted using the first thing I could grab.I DON'T recommend the wood as stated in the report.
I already had put in two new dog bones and the upper torque axis mount.So my car was already pretty smooth.I think the car jerks a bit less when I shift though.
Remember I have a 5 speed,so I'm in neutral at the stoplights...
I appreciate your thoughts and comments.Hopefully betwwen the group the DIY method of doing this can be perfected..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-27-2004, 01:03 PM   #16
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm Aux Mike
I only needed jack up about 1.5 inches to clear the mounting stud.
I have yet to figure it out for me, but it simply did not turn out that way for me....I'm happy for you, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 06-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #17
auxmike

Luke,I think if you were jacking up under the oilpan you were quite far away from the area that needed the boost.
By jacking on the tranny housing itself,the mount rises at an extreme angle quickly.
I would have never though of trying this if it were'nt for my ALLDATA account.
It's a tricky procedure,and I'm glad you had success in your venture.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-28-2004, 02:04 PM   #18
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Mike

Actually, I followed your steps, which is why I cannot figure out why I had to back off and start with lifting the entire engine/transmission unit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Old 06-28-2004, 05:30 PM   #19
auxmike

Luke, I thought you hoisted up the whole thing from the oilpan and that's why it was
such a hassel.
Do you have ALLDATA account?What I did is how they tell you to do it.I thought it was odd too,not removing or loosening/checking clearance etc. before starting.
Getting the drive train up was easy,getting the new mount lined up was not.
Do you have an auto tranny?I suspect the auto trans is bigger in mass than the manual.Probably tougher to change.
BTW,my procedure applies to my experience to the manual only folks!I don't know how to do this or what to watch out for if you have an auto trans.Please bear that in mind..
Luke I apoligise if I misunderstood what I thought I read in your post when you first reported on your experience.I value your knowledge!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-29-2004, 09:40 AM   #20
Luke
Master Member

1995 SL2

Quote:
Fm Mike
Luke, I thought you hoisted up the whole thing from the oilpan and that's why it was such a hassel.
No, I actually started by lifting the transmission unit, as the FSM directed. Upon lifting, the upper transmission kept hitting the frame area just behind the battery tray, afterwhich the continued lifting would lift the car. It was weird... of course, it resulted in my not being able to get the mount's prodruding nut, out.
Quote:
Do you have an auto tranny?I suspect the auto trans is bigger in mass than the manual.Probably tougher to change.
BTW,my procedure applies to my experience to the manual only folks!
And of course, I did not read your "original statement fully" , as I note below:
Quote:
This was done on a MANUAL tranny equipped 1997 SL2.I'll bet the auto might be tougher to do,since that tranny is bigger.
Yes, my car is an automatic.
No I don't have an ALLDATA accounts.
Quote:
I apologize if I misunderstood....
Never necessary......but thoughtful. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Closed Thread