SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-15-2018, 04:41 PM   #1
Sh1tb0xHero
Sh1tb0xHero is on a distinguished road

1999 SW1
Default Successfully lifted Saturn Sw1

I successfully lifted my old rust bucket sitting on some Presa A/ts. Running on Bassett rims 3 inch backspace, custom spacers between the body and struts and on 205/75 r15 tires.

Other mods are full catback with Obx headers and some Magnaflow muffler. I rigged an oil catch can for that extra response in the throttle.

I didn't know where else to put this thread.

This has been a long running project of mine for a few years now. Kind of a bet to see if I could do it.

1999 Saturn Sw1 2" lifted 170,000 miles - Daily Driver/Project Car

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sh1tb0xHero's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sh1tb0xHero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sh1tb0xHero is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-15-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Successfully lifted Saturn Sw1

Add entertain thoughts of awd......... Looks like a great semi off road car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2018, 05:23 PM   #3
Sh1tb0xHero

1999 SW1

I do have plans written up for such a project. I was thinking of fabricating a frame for a Toyota chassis. I remember someone actually putting the whole uni-body on a Toyota frame. That in itself is a long way off. Possibly in the near future I'll try it when I acquire more space. For now this is a great weekend trail rider and daily driver with stock tires!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sh1tb0xHero reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-16-2018, 04:47 PM   #4
DonP1
DonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura aboutDonP1 has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

Can you provide some details on what you did?

I have a 1999 SL2 auto that runs around a farm I'd be interested in doing this to.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2018, 05:00 PM   #5
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Neat! I'll probably never do anything with it, but occasionally I think a couple extra inches would help with the occasional deep snow we get.

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 12:19 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

Drop it on a S10/Blazer frame. 4x4 & real power *done* lol

I've never done anything like that but it shouldn't be that hard to get the wheels fitted to the wheel wells better and make it look less idiotic.

Though if you're going to fabri-cobble a proper AWD system into it I'm pretty sure Subaru stuff is far closer to bolting in than Toyota (struts are nearly a direct swap)...and there's more aftermarket support for Subaru than Toyota's AWD system (not that All-Trac is bad...just never gained in popularity)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 09:35 AM   #7
AlexofNazareth
Master Member
AlexofNazareth will become famous soon enough

2002 SL1
2006 VUE Red Line

Bolting on Subaru independent front and rear suspension will be more rewarding than dumping a turd frame onto a heavy truck chassis.
Lightweight & nimble > bulky & a garbage ride.

The only downside is that people want too much money for Subaru parts, especially the mechanical LSDs you would find only in the STI Trans/Rear Diff.

'02 SL1.414213562^2, Deebs ftw

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AlexofNazareth's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AlexofNazareth reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AlexofNazareth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2018, 11:56 PM   #8
Sh1tb0xHero

1999 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonP1 View Post
Can you provide some details on what you did?

I have a 1999 SL2 auto that runs around a farm I'd be interested in doing this to.
I managed to find a shop to fabricate some 2" spacers back when I didn't know how to weld. The spacers fit on top of the stock/aftermarket struts. After installing them I did run into some trouble with the misaligned sway bar mounts (off by 1 inch) and the Camber. A crowbar and some elbow grease fixed the sway bar issue and 4 camber bolts for the latter.

Tires are Presa's A/t 205/75r15 on 15x7 Bassett's with 3 inch backspacing. To fix the rubbing issue I had to delete those flimsy plastic wheel well splash guards and bang flat some pinch welds. Also had to trim the plastic fenders a bit for the front.

I mounted a Spod Source controller from a friends wrecked Xterra for all the LED's and other on-board junk. It runs on a 4 terminal battery for the extra accessory connection.

All in all it's really fun to drive on wooded/gravel trails. Don't count on going up wet muddy trails though, you would need an LSD. Quafe sells some for a grand and would be a more reliable option over the cheaper 'box' that mimics an LSD. Also, wire up a manual switch to turn on the cooling fan. These things tend to overheat at high load times like gunning it up inclines.

I might turn this thing into a rallycross vehicle and just buy a Suby for them technical trails all around my hometown.

Last edited by Sh1tb0xHero; 10-18-2018 at 12:01 AM.. Reason: A sentence added

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-18-2018, 12:06 AM   #9
Sh1tb0xHero

1999 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexofNazareth View Post
Bolting on Subaru independent front and rear suspension will be more rewarding than dumping a turd frame onto a heavy truck chassis.
Lightweight & nimble > bulky & a garbage ride.

The only downside is that people want too much money for Subaru parts, especially the mechanical LSDs you would find only in the STI Trans/Rear Diff.
That was my original plan but as you said, they cost quite a bit in almost new condition. A friend suggested I should just buy a junkyard Subaru and gut it. On the other hand I'm more toward just using Subaru for technical trails and as a daily while autocross in the Saturd.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-01-2018, 01:41 PM   #10
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

That's fantastic!

No problems with rub on the larger tires?

2002 SL2 ~300k Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2018, 10:58 PM   #11
Keblar
Keblar is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keblar View Post
No problems with rub on the larger tires?
I must have been asleep when I read this thread the 1st time, because now I see where you clearly address the wheel rub and fab.

Would LOVE pics of your fabrication if you ever get a chance.

2002 SL2 ~300k Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Keblar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Keblar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Keblar is offline   Reply With Quote