SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-29-2018, 03:01 PM   #1
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default 17" rims plated?

Are these rims polished? Or chromed? I got a set with nice tires for super cheap but bad corrosion. I would say 75% of clear coat is oxidized. I bead blasted them and am going to try polishing/buffing them next. I do notice a slight machined ridge effect in the bit of non corroded portion that is left. But the blasting seems to knock it down. Might just paint them gray.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg image.jpeg (27.6 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2018, 09:17 PM   #2
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L
Default Re: 17" rims plated?

Micro ridges. Diamond cut I believe is what they call it. Machined and than cleared.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (159.7 KB, 10 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-01-2018, 03:21 PM   #3
Cavell

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

they are just machining marks. microridges just describes the shape.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-01-2018, 05:14 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I've yet to see chrome plated aluminum rims. Ever see WWII airplanes in restored condition? Every one of them came from the factory with plain aluminum skins. Dull, painted navy blue or khaki green. The very shiny ones are lovingly hand or machined polished to a mirror finish. No clear coat. Keeping aluminum in mirror condition takes work.

Aluminum rims are machined with some showing the machined lines. They're clear coated with a heavy coat. Once this clear coat chips, exposed aluminum corrodes. The dull dark spots are corroded aluminum. Add road salts and every aluminum rim will corrode. Polishing requires removing all the clear coat then finishing manually or with a machine. A mirror coating requires painstaking time and effort no different from polishing those WWII airplanes to a mirror finish.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2018, 04:15 PM   #5
Cavell

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

i bead blasted them. now they are a dull flat finish. but smooth. there are shops that will recut them on a lathe if you are really fussy. none would bother fixing up a vue with oem rims. i got them at boneyard with pretty good tires for $16 each. hard to beat that price. i picked up 4 truck rims last yr for $10 so i had cores to exchange. funny what folks sell on CL. our boneyard wants $15 core charge per wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!