saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 08-12-2012, 12:49 PM   #1
Dave3
Dave3 is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2
Default ODB Code P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance

Hey Guys,

So we've had the service engine light pop on a couple times in the past couple days, I pulled the code and it is P0341 which my scan software says is "Camshaft (CMP) Position Sensor Performance", I took a quick peak through some of the performance gauges and the timing seemed all over the place (+/- 15 not sure if thats normal)

Any thoughts?
Dave3 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-12-2012, 11:51 PM   #2
bluesl2
Master Member
bluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of lightbluesl2 is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: ODB Code P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor Performance

Replace your plugs,plug wires and make sure the bottom two bolts holding the ignition coils on are free of rust,etc. and you will be good to go.
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Dave3

2001 SL2

Hmm, but the plugs and wires arent even a year old.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
PlasticCarsRock
Master Member
PlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the roughPlasticCarsRock is a jewel in the rough

1995 SL2

There is no camshaft position sensor, but there is a camshaft position signal to the PCM, so as far as it knows, there is one. The cam signal is simulated by the ICM, which monitors the spark to figure out which cylinder is on compression and which is on exhaust. As such, cam position sensor codes are usually due to an ignition problem. A bad crank position sensor (used by the ICM for several things, including the simulation of the cam position sensor signal), can also throw this code, but it will usually result in the car not running when hot, or not starting at all.

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_y-3fhAHZM

Check the plugs, wires, and coil pack towers for damage and corrosion. Corrosion at the coil pack towers is fairly common, and can make it difficult for the ICM to make the cps signal. Also, double and tripple check that they are in the correct order. Due to waste spark, you can hook the plugs/wires up backwards and it will still run, as long as you are on the right coil, however, the ICM will then be backwards detecting which cylinder is on compression, and will create an incorrect cps signal.
High compression build: .033" shaved/ported head, flat-faced valves; gen3 rods, pistons, tie-plate; OE header, custom CAI, SDA street cams with adjustable sprockets, WBO2, SAFCII, LSD. ASE A1-A8+L1
PlasticCarsRock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 01:02 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to allRobertGary1 is a name known to all

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave3 View Post
Hmm, but the plugs and wires arent even a year old.
What plugs did you buy? Platinum plugs are not supported and will cause erratic camshaft position faults. Cleaning the posts on the coil packs is a good idea. If the coil packs have ever been replaced with aftermarket, replace them with GM OEM from a junk yard.

-Robert
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 05:42 PM   #6
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Plug wires must be routed parallel to each other, as connected at the coil. If the wires are all jumbled up, this will mess up the phantom cam sensor. Also, 4 and 1 cannot be reversed. Although this is a wasted spark system, and 4 and 1 both fire at the same time, reversing the wires will mess up the phantom cam sensor. The engine may otherwise run normally. You may get some bucking and hesitation under certain conditions, and eventually will get a P0341 code. The wires should be connected to the coils as viewed: 4,1,2,3.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 10:52 PM   #7
Dave3

2001 SL2

I replaced the plugs, wires and coils 6-8 months ago, also replaced the ICM with a used ICM (wish I could find the one that was originally on there) as part of troubleshooting a stuttering/jerking problem I was having.

The blugs are just the cheapo NGK's as reccomended by someone on this site, I originally installed iridium IX plugs but then was adviced to change them, too be honest the car ran much nicer on the iridium IX's then it does on the cheapo plugs and I wish I had never replaced them so take that for what you will.

Im wondering if its not the ICM, I wish I could find the original one that was on there as it was fine, these darn things are hard to find used and bloody expensive to buy new (unjustifiably so).
Old 08-16-2012, 12:59 AM   #8
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

Platinum or iridium tipped plugs of otherwise conventional design (robust conductors) might work well. What causes issues and destroys the ignition coils are the Bosch platinum wire plugs. The wire burns away deep down inside of the ceramic insulator. This first increases spark gap resistance, which reduces spark power. Then, because the spark is looking for an easier path, it destroys the coil winding insulation, and you wind up with weak shorted coils.

If your car runs poorly on the NGKs, though, then there is likely some other issue, such as weak shorted coils (measure below minimum allowable resistance at 70*F) or dirty injectors.

Check your coils. Check your spark plug wires and route properly, and be sure that they are connected 4,1,2,3 at the coils from left to right as viewed.
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 01:23 AM   #9
Dave3

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by td1238 View Post
Platinum or iridium tipped plugs of otherwise conventional design (robust conductors) might work well. What causes issues and destroys the ignition coils are the Bosch platinum wire plugs. The wire burns away deep down inside of the ceramic insulator. This first increases spark gap resistance, which reduces spark power. Then, because the spark is looking for an easier path, it destroys the coil winding insulation, and you wind up with weak shorted coils.

If your car runs poorly on the NGKs, though, then there is likely some other issue, such as weak shorted coils (measure below minimum allowable resistance at 70*F) or dirty injectors.

Check your coils. Check your spark plug wires and route properly, and be sure that they are connected 4,1,2,3 at the coils from left to right as viewed.
They wre the NGK Iridium IX plugs before I switched them to the cheap NGK's, engine ran smoother and felt better with the iridium, never tried the bosch plugs (probably a good thing).

The coils were brand new when installed, same with the wires honestly cant see thoes being the issue and dont really have a way of testing them, they havent even been through a winter yet so cant imagine why they'd be bad already.

Maybe somethings come loose, Ill have to make sure all the plugs are in tight, gonna have to search for the old ICM too.

Which years/models have a compatible ICM? These cars are hard to find at the junk yards around here and I sure as hell am not paying 300+ for a ICM.
Old 08-16-2012, 06:27 AM   #10
dsquare86
dsquare86 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1
2001 SL2

Anytime that I would ever get this code was shortly followed by a total failure of the ICM. This has happened to me 3 times in my memory. You are going the right route by purchasing any replacements for the ICM at a junkyard. Aftermarket pieces are complete junk.
Derek
2002 Saturn SL1 SOHC 5 Speed.
2001 Saturn SL2 DOHC 5 Speed - Retired.
dsquare86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 06:52 AM   #11
hit_n_run
hit_n_run is on a distinguished road

Ok wow what are the odds that this thread should start just as my own 98 SC2 just happens to throw the same code???

Plugs are < 6 months old and wires I have no idea. They may be original.

CPS is also < 6 months old. I have never touched the coil packs or the ICM.

LOL maybe a good place to start!

Wanna hear something funny? I went to Auto Zone to get the codes scanned the INSTANT the SES light came on. LOL the lady that grabbed the scanner and came out to my car asked me what year MAZDA it was.....

P.S. sorry for the half thread hijack but I thought it relevant to post this.
hit_n_run is offline   Reply With Quote