SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech

Old 11-11-2008, 07:04 PM   #1
RarestRX
RarestRX is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL2 Cold Starting Issues [Crank crank crank...]

Hey,

Yep, I'm sure it's been asked millions of times. Yep, I searched. I'm pretty sure it's an intermittent fault with the CPS, but I'd thought I'd ask.

2000 SL2, 125K miles on it.

The weather up here in PA just started getting cold. 40 degrees type of stuff.

The car will crank crank crank strongly, but it wont start.

Give it some gas and it'll start with a gasoline smell.

I pulled codes, got a P0404, and cleaned the EGR.

It still does the cold start problem.

I have a brass ECTS and CPS on order.

Car is well cared for, just had new plugs, new water pump, new coolant. Don't ask me why the dealership didn't throw a ECTS on there while they were at it.

My 1981 VW Scirocco had a cold start valve, does the Saturn have anything like this? Where extra gas is injected on cold start?

Seems to me like it's gone kaput.

Thanks for any advice and sorry about the noobishness.

Kevin ""
RarestRX is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2008, 07:10 PM   #2
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: 2000 SL2 Cold Starting Issues [Crank crank crank...]

CPS will fail when the car is warm, not when it's cold. ECTS is a good place to start. Have you verified already that you don't have a brass one in there from the factory?

Don't give it gas when you're trying to start it. It's fuel injected, it's getting gas already.

No cold start valve on a Saturn, but the one on my '79 Bus started acting up this week when the temps dropped here in Syracuse too.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 07:27 PM   #3
RarestRX

Square,

Thanks for the quick reply.

The car will crank infinitely until the battery is dead. Only when the gas pedal is messed with will it "catch" and start.

It's my wifes car. About the ECTS, I called the dealership she took it to for years and asked if they had replaced it. They said nope.

I called the dealership up here in PA, and they said nope.

I don't know if there is a way of checking to see if it's the old or new one without pulling it. The dust boot on the connector is pretty dirty so it doesn't look like it's been pulled.

Do you think it could be the fuel filter? I don't think that's been changed out anytime soon...

Thanks again for your help!

Kevin ""
Old 11-11-2008, 07:30 PM   #4
rc1488
Master Member
rc1488 has a spectacular aura aboutrc1488 has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
1995 SC2

Pic from Richpin
Current: 95 SC2 Man 97 SL2 Auto 98 SL1 Auto 01 SL1 Man 02 SL1 Man
Past: 94 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 95 SL2 Man 96 SL2 Auto 97 SL2 Man 98 SL2 Auto 99 SL2 Auto
2010 SCCA Mohud Street Championship-2nd Place
rc1488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2008, 08:08 PM   #5
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan

You need a dealership to take out the ECTS and tell you if it's brass or not??? It's a 13mm hex on it, pull it out and look at it. Why order parts you don't know if you are going to need??? It's the 2000 model year they switched from plastic to brass, so some got the new one, some didn't. With a basic set of hand tools your Saturn is the easiest car on the planet to work on. Spending your $$$ at a dealership for simple things like plugs and a water pump is just plain stupid when you could do plugs yourself in your driveway in less than 20 minutes if you take your time, and the water pump in about an hour, again, if you take your time. There's enough information on this board that there isn't anything on that car you can't do yourself for 1/4 of what it would cost to have done at a shop. Don't replace parts until you can verify that they are bad. Ordering things like an ECTS and a CPS without verifying they have failed is simply throwing your money away, since being electrical parts, they are non returnable.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:12 PM   #6
RarestRX

Oh snap!

She's got the old one. I don't see the shoulder on the nut like the new one.

As fate would have it, the UPS man brought me my package from Saturnparts.net.

My new ECTS was built on 10/28/08!!

Looks like I'll be popping it on Sunday after the cars cools off completely.

Kevin "*fingers crossed*"
Old 11-11-2008, 08:15 PM   #7
Squareback

2005 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by RarestRX View Post
Looks like I'll be popping it on Sunday after the cars cools off completely.
Sunday?? It's a 5 minute job man. Do you think we sit at the dealership and wait for cars to cool off before we dive into fixing them? Hell no. If the car is warm, simply remove the cap from the overflow bottle to alleviate any pressure in the cooling system, then put it back on tight. Remove the connector from the ECTS, put your 13mm socket on it, pull it out, and put the new one in. You'll lose very little if any coolant and you'll be a hero to your wife when it fixes the problem. Or wake up 5 minutes earlier and do it before work when the car is still cold.
Old 11-11-2008, 08:16 PM   #8
RarestRX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squareback View Post
You need a dealership to take out the ECTS and tell you if it's brass or not??? It's a 13mm hex on it, pull it out and look at it. Why order parts you don't know if you are going to need??? It's the 2000 model year they switched from plastic to brass, so some got the new one, some didn't. With a basic set of hand tools your Saturn is the easiest car on the planet to work on. Spending your $$$ at a dealership for simple things like plugs and a water pump is just plain stupid when you could do plugs yourself in your driveway in less than 20 minutes if you take your time, and the water pump in about an hour, again, if you take your time. There's enough information on this board that there isn't anything on that car you can't do yourself for 1/4 of what it would cost to have done at a shop. Don't replace parts until you can verify that they are bad. Ordering things like an ECTS and a CPS without verifying they have failed is simply throwing your money away, since being electrical parts, they are non returnable.
Square, chill man!

I did the plugs myself, cleaned the EGR myself, and will be throwing the ECTS on this weekend myself.

We had the dealership do the waterpump because we needed it to be done ASAP.

I got tools man, I got skills! Just at the time it was easier for the dealer to do it.

Kevin ""
Old 02-12-2012, 12:58 PM   #9
frefo2588
frefo2588 is on a distinguished road

So i was having this issue as well and i replaced my ECTS like suggested and it works wonders! Not only did it soldthe cod start issue' but my car runs sooooo much better! Thanks so much!
frefo2588 is offline   Reply With Quote