SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2017, 01:00 PM   #1
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Valve Adjustment Honda 3.5L Question

Background:
The 2008 Saturn Vue owner’s manual states in the “Additional Required Services” section, that for the “V6 engine: inspect valve clearance” at 100,000-miles.

Question, please:
For the 3.5L Honda engine, is there a service bulletin from Honda Corporation advising professional mechanics NOT to “inspect valve clearance” at 100,000-miles despite it being required by the “Additional Required Services” section of the Saturn Vue Owner’s Manual?

Asking for a friend.

Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bumpdraft's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2017, 05:16 PM   #2
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the roughbumpdraft is a jewel in the rough

1998 SC2
1998 SW2
Default Re: Valve Adjustment Honda 3.5L Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpdraft View Post
Background:
The 2008 Saturn Vue owner’s manual states in the “Additional Required Services” section, that for the “V6 engine: inspect valve clearance” at 100,000-miles.

Question, please:
For the 3.5L Honda engine, is there a service bulletin from Honda Corporation advising professional mechanics NOT to “inspect valve clearance” at 100,000-miles despite it being required by the “Additional Required Services” section of the Saturn Vue Owner’s Manual?

Asking for a friend.
2006 is the correct year of the Vue. Sorry about that.

Another question:
Has anyone successfully ignored valve clearance inspection / adjustment without any emissions code being set for years past 100,000-miles?
My reasoning is that a valve that does not close properly would set an emissions-related code before any harm came to the actual valve.

Thank you

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bumpdraft reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-18-2017, 08:38 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Has anyone successfully ignored valve clearance inspection / adjustment without any emissions code being set for years past 100,000-miles?
My reasoning is that a valve that does not close properly would set an emissions-related code before any harm came to the actual valve.
I think the too tight exhaust valves start throwing random misfire codes first. I'm at 126k mi. on my '07 and still waiting for signs that it needs a valve adjustment.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2017, 09:54 PM   #4
Mr Toad
Mr Toad has a spectacular aura aboutMr Toad has a spectacular aura about

2005 VUE 3.5L

From what I heard, people that have done a valve adjustment have found the exhaust valves tight, but not tight enough to be concerned about.
Mine has over 165,000 miles on it with no adjustment. Even though there is no smog test required where I live, I have never had a misfire or any emission codes.

2005 Saturn Vue
Front Wheel Drive
3.5L V6 Engine
5AT Automatic Transmission
160,000+ miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mr Toad's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mr Toad reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mr Toad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 08:36 AM   #5
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Thank you.

Four different mechanics told me, in their own way, that valve adjustment was not a big concern. Your info backs that’s that up.

Sounds like I can adjust the valves myself next summer instead of trying to get a professional to adjust them while he replaces the timing belt and water pump.

My 2.2L turbo diesel has a timing belt and the valves also have to be adjusted. The difference is, the 2.2L turbo diesel can not detect a misfire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-19-2017, 08:46 AM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Sounds like I can adjust the valves myself next summer instead of trying to get a professional to adjust them while he replaces the timing belt and water pump.
I don't think there is any overlap in those jobs. Here's some references that might be useful . . .

Valve Adjustment Threads
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228634
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=195027
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=161620
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=228659
http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/f...-w-photos.html

Video links:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnyqVg3nWRk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLdgivYwUiQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxAfu_pHHHk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 AM   #7
bumpdraft
Master Member

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Thanks for the links. All Data DIY gives nothing but specifications.

The Ownerls Manual seemed to imply that the jobs needed to be performed at the same time.
Here is my request for quote and the cost estimate written by the service representative:

Evidently, my RFQ was extremely vague because, once the Vue was inside the service garage, $1450 does not include valve inspection.
Besides paying too much, at least I know that I will not immediately ruin a lady’s Vue by failing to award the job to a mechanic who will do the entire “required” maintenance. I have plenty of time to watch some videos and do the job in my driveway next summer

Last edited by bumpdraft; 12-19-2017 at 10:07 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-20-2017, 10:40 AM   #8
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

I don't think you need to do it right at 100,000 miles, but it should be done by 130,000 miles. Every one I have done has idled better after adjustment. It can clear the annoying misfire codes. The big risk if you don't adjust the valves is ending up with a burnt exhaust valve. Valve adjustment is much easier than head work.
It is easiest to perform the adjustment at the same time the timing belt and water pump are changed. Valve adjustment is also a good time to replace the Leakey valve cover seals, change plugs, and clean the PCV valve.
After adjustment the only thing you should hear at idle is the injector ticking.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:21 AM   #9
Claybury
Claybury will become famous soon enough

Oh, it will run you about $320 in parts including the gaskets, plugs, water pump, and timing kit. Get the Asin kit, IMHO. All Japanese bearings. Replace the tensioner pull pin with a hardened steel pin. I use a Allen wrench. The pin it comes with is too soft and bends. Only special tools needed are bent feeler gauges, a M6-1 screw, and a balancer holding tool you can rent from a FLAPS.
Figure on 8 hours if you have not done it before. Take your time when installing the belt. Double check the work you all ready checked.

2002 SC2 1.9L
2007 Vue 3.5L
1985 Fiero SE 3.1L
1974 Triumph Spitfire 3.1L V6
2002 Ram duelly diesel 5.9L
1975 Honda PA50 0.05L (Swarm and destroy)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Claybury's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Claybury reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Claybury is offline   Reply With Quote