SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > General Saturn Discussion
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-17-2008, 07:10 PM   #1
Luckie
Luckie is on a distinguished road

Mad Coolant Fans constantly run

I own a 2001 L200 2.2L. No matter if the engine is cold or hot, outside temp. is cold or hot, both my coolant fans run when the engine is running. I can however turn the engine off or remove both the 30 amp fuses to kill the fans from coming on.

One day I tried removing the connector off the ECTS to see if it was broken, dirty, or loose. Nothing appeared wrong with it, so I put the connector back on the ECTS and of course left the 30 amp fuses out to keep the fans silent. After a couple hours of the car sitting there I got in it to go home from work and the engine service light was on for the first time. I drove the car until I made a stop. I replaced the 30 amp fuses, the engine service light went out and the fans did not run. I thought something might have corrected it self with the fans until about a week later the fans started running again.

Does anyone have a thought or should I bite the bullet and take it to the shop.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luckie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luckie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luckie is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2008, 05:31 PM   #2
spencerb
Master Member
spencerb will become famous soon enoughspencerb will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR
Default Re: Coolant Fans constantly run

Not 100% sure about the L-series, but the fans probably run when the A/C compressor is running. Make sure the climate system is totally off and check the fans.

My guess is a stuck relay.

You'll get better responses if you post this in the L-Series Tech forum.

2008 BMW 328i
2013 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Past Saturns: 97 SL2, 01 SC2, 04 VUE, 08 Astra, 02 L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to spencerb's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help spencerb reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
spencerb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 05:47 PM   #3
Luckie
Luckie is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Coolant Fans constantly run

Thanks for the reply, I had made sure the air condition was not running, cause I had read about that earlier. I had previously located the relays before posting my original message, even though the relay was only 12 bucks I would have plugged it in, but they are soldered to a board.

Also I moved the original message to the L-series tech forum.

The car has 100,000 miles on it, I might just go ahead and replace the ECTS, that will not hurt a thing, even if that does not fix the running fans.

Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luckie's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luckie reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luckie is offline   Reply With Quote