SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-05-2009, 10:57 PM   #1
SoupNazi
SoupNazi is on a distinguished road

Default rookie question

Having never used a dial bore guage, I bought one, but I can not figure out how to use it. Should I be using the 3.2" rod with the .05 washer attached, or should it be with the .10 washer?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoupNazi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoupNazi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoupNazi is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-05-2009, 11:20 PM   #2
SoupNazi

Default Re: rookie question

I can't spell bore gauge correctly I guess.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SoupNazi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-05-2009, 11:32 PM   #3
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

A picture would be helpful. (or maybe a make and model, link etc)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 12:29 AM   #4
SoupNazi

sorry, not sure if it is big enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21V0AE0BDVL__SL500_AA128_.jpg (6.2 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #5
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Set the total gauge larger than the hole and do the math. Use the 3.2 and the 0.10 spacer under the black nut. Zero out the indicator and then gently push the indicator pin to verify the mechanism is zeroed. place it in the bore and get the max deflection at your measurement point, that will be straight up and down position. Subtract that reading from 3.3000, thats the bore diameter at that point.

That is the same unit that I use.

Last edited by OldNuc; 03-06-2009 at 02:15 PM.. Reason: typo....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:27 PM   #6
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Never tired that method. I always set the gauge with a mic. I'll have to try it to see how it works out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 02:58 PM   #7
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It works. Or you can back off the zero on the dial indicator so the actual new bore diameter is the zero point and then just read the deviation. That is nice but is real easy to foul up and ruin a block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2009, 08:18 PM   #8
SoupNazi

Thanks for the tutorial, if I can't figure it out I'll quit.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!