SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-24-2008, 09:48 AM   #1
wcryle01
wcryle01 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2
Default SL2 Lifter Knock (rookie goof)

3k ago I replaced the head gasket in my 120k SL2. I'm cutting my mech teeth on this engine so I'm learning as I go (Haynes). Left the valve train in place minus the cam shafts so I didn't risk messing it up, but forgot and tilted the head causing half the lifters to fall out. I got most of them back where they were supposed to be, but odds are some got swapped. Now sure enough 3k later I have a lifter hitting on the intake #1 (sounds like it anyway, already checked timing chain). So... Have I messed up royally or just a little? Should I replace lifters and hope head is ok, rebuild the whole head, give up and take it to a shop...?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wcryle01's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wcryle01 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wcryle01 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2008, 12:30 PM   #2
Canyon
Advanced Member
Canyon has a spectacular aura aboutCanyon has a spectacular aura about

1995 SC2
1999 SL1
Default Re: SL2 Lifter Knock (rookie goof)

Swapping the lifters wasn't good but I don't beleive it caused your current problems. From the sounds of it you didn't clean the lifters when you had them out. Most likley one of the weep holes in one of your lifters is plugged. I would try putting changing your oil and putting a half bottle of MMO in with your oil and run it and see if it will clean out your lifter.

If that doesn't work you can tear the head apart and clean the lifters.

This of course assumes that the lifters are the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Canyon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Canyon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Canyon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 06:02 PM   #3
bobbyrae
bobbyrae has a spectacular aura aboutbobbyrae has a spectacular aura about

1993 SL2

I've never had to deal with this, but on 1st gen DOHC engines, the SSM says that you have to take the lifters out and turn them upside down to prevent them sucking in air. I think this is just so things go back in OK, as opposed to any potential damage.

I would also suggest an oil change, perhaps synthetic if you can afford it.

Bobby Rae
Alameda, CA
1993 SL2 A/T, 80k miles, 22/33/43 mpg
1982 Accord 5-speed, 303k miles, 23/32/40 mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:25 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

Well, I don't hold out alot of hope for light oil and a solvent (MMO) to unstick the check ball. Will not hurt to try it though. If that fails you take the cam cover off and find the bad lifter and take it apart and clan it or spend $20.00 for a brand new one. Draining the oil out of them does not ruin them they just make quite a racket when you first start the engine. If you are adverse to a lot of startup clatter after a rebuild leave the plugs out and run on the starter until the system builds pressure and the lifters pump up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote