SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Categories > How-To Library

Old 11-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #141
jerdboyd
jerdboyd is on a distinguished road

Default Re: S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure-All"

i replaced the valve body today and forward gears work excellent after a couple minutes of the computer relearning. still no reverse when hot though so it looks like i need to get in there and tighten those nuts. is it necessary to buy new shaft nuts and bolts or can i just tighten the ones that are there? if i absolutely need new ones where in canada can i get them?

also, im a little confused about how to raise the transaxle so that the frame of the car will not be in the way of the end cover. can someone give me a clear explanation of that?

thanks

jeremy boyd
jerdboyd is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-24-2011, 11:03 PM   #142
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerdboyd View Post
... is it necessary to buy new shaft nuts and bolts or can i just tighten the ones that are there?
From the FSM . . .
“NOTICE: Use a new nut due to insufficient torque retention of old nut. Clean shaft threads with wire brush. When tightening and torquing this nut it must be done quickly. The thread locking material used on the new nut will cure in a short time resulting in incorrect torque."

Quote:
if i absolutely need new ones where in canada can i get them?
Any GM dealer should be able to get you these part # . . .
End Cover Gasket – 21001684
Input shaft nut – 21001680
Output shaft nut – 21001679

Or you can order them online . . .
http://www.trademotion.com/splash/in...?siteid=214643
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/
http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/

Quote:
also, im a little confused about how to raise the transaxle so that the frame of the car will not be in the way of the end cover. can someone give me a clear explanation of that?
You actually want to lower the transaxle. The first page of this thread would have you grind away some of the frame. I chose to loosen the cradle bolts a little to get the necessary clearance.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:00 PM   #143
jerdboyd

thanks for the parts numbers.

i definitely need to tighten those suckers. i think the new valve body actually accelerated the loosening of the nuts. reverse is still barely usable and getting worse and 2nd gear is slipping again although it doesn't slam so much.

for this procedure do i need to empty the tranny fluid? also, im a little unclear about lowering the transmission. wouldn't that include lowering the engine as well? i've never had to do any work that required this so any descriptions would be very helpful.

i really appreciate all the help.

jeremy boyd
Old 11-26-2011, 08:44 PM   #144
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

1995 SW2
2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
for this procedure do i need to empty the tranny fluid?
You don't have to drain the tranny, but have a pan ready when you loosen the End Cover Bolts.

Quote:
also, im a little unclear about lowering the transmission. wouldn't that include lowering the engine as well?
When you back out the driver-side Cradle Bolts (they are tight - you might need a breaker bar and cheater), that end of the tranny (w/ the engine) will tip down.
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 09:17 PM   #145
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

If you check you tube (via google) there are probably videos on this by now.
Ecomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:26 PM   #146
glowry
glowry is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
2002 SL

Jeremy,

I just completed this task last week,

1.) I drained the tranny fluid before I pulled the side cover and did not have any mess. I had tried the Wolfman Reverse Slam fix or I needed to drain and refill anyway.

2.) You will need to support the car on the frame rail just behind the cradle. Then unbolt the Driver side Rear cradle Bolt and wedged a large pair of vise grips in between the body and the cradle. You will also need to unbolt the two large bolts that attach the strut to the spindle. Also had to remove the Brake Caliper and the brake hose support bolted to the inner fender well. I was able to remove the side cover without bending the long tubes and replace on the first try.

3.) Holding the input shaft to torque the nut will be a challenge. I happen to find a machined step shim that fit perfect and stopped the shaft from turning. I wish I had taken a picture. Someone else mentioned using a piece of chain but I didn't understand how they made it work.

4.) Make sure that you change both nuts while you have done all the work to get to them.

Feel free to PM me if you have some questions.

Good Luck.
Greg

Quote:
thanks for the parts numbers.

i definitely need to tighten those suckers. i think the new valve body actually accelerated the loosening of the nuts. reverse is still barely usable and getting worse and 2nd gear is slipping again although it doesn't slam so much.

for this procedure do i need to empty the tranny fluid? also, im a little unclear about lowering the transmission. wouldn't that include lowering the engine as well? i've never had to do any work that required this so any descriptions would be very helpful.

i really appreciate all the help.

jeremy boyd
glowry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2011, 03:06 PM   #147
jerdboyd

thanks to everyone who has helped, it is very much appreciated

here's a recap of my experience,

i had reverse slam bad, no reverse when warm and jumpy 2nd shifting. i started with the fluid change trick and then changed out my valve body. the problem didn't go away although i could tell the valve body had made some improvements. after about 10 days i got all the parts and tools required to do the input shaft nut. it was quite a job and i thought that i botched it at a couple points. the nut was very hard to torque and i doubt i got it as tight as i should have although i used some lock tite to help prevent the nut from loosening in the future. the output shaft nut was very tight so i didn't bother with it.

the hardest part of this was putting the end cover back on. it took me nearly 30 minutes to get the tubes lined up in a way that seemed right. the cover was still about 1/8th of an inch away from being closed though. i assumed it was the two little tabs that hold the gasket on that fit into two of the bolt shafts on the cover that were holding the cover open. i put the bolts back in and started tightening, after a couple turns the end cover clapped into place and i almost had a heart attack thinking that i had broken one of the shafts or internal seals. seems it was just the cover popping into place.

after getting it all back together and getting it back on the road reverse was working but it was slamming into 2nd so i removed the pcm b fuse and after a couple more bumps into 2nd the car now rides smooth.

thanks all for your help. i ended up saving around $1500. not sure if it was worth the stress of messing with the most mysterious and expensive part of my vehicle but it was nice saving the money.

jeremy boyd
Old 12-04-2011, 08:43 PM   #148
Ecomike
Ecomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of lightEcomike is a glorious beacon of light

2001 SL1

Did you remove the fuse to wipe the memory, and reinstall the fuse?

I had my own self doubt moments when I lost two bolts (which I never did find) and feared they had fallen into the guts of the Transmission, LOL!!!! That was 9 months ago, and 10,000 miles ago, LOL
Old 12-12-2011, 12:19 AM   #149
ZachIsMyName89
ZachIsMyName89 is on a distinguished road

Here's my issue though....what if I replaced the valve body, new fluid and new nut, yet my car has very INCONSISTENT reverse slams? Could happen at any time or its completely smooth. Before the fix I it began slamming into 2nd and then had no reverse. NOW after the fix, it slams every now and then into reverse, yet all driving gears are super smooth. Even reverse will be completely fine but it'll just do it once and then be smooth again right after. See my thread "rebuit valve body" thread i posted recently.
95' SL2, Orange, 84,000 miles
93' SL2, Green, 258,000 miles (DEAD)
ZachIsMyName89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:48 AM   #150
cajunsand1
cajunsand1 is on a distinguished road

I need every ones help I have a 2000 SL1 with auto trans that has the hard reverse slam issue. There is no noticeable problems with any of the other gears. Very smooth shifting while up shifting. Although I may have noticed a very minor bump when the tranny was down shifting from 2nd to 1st. But again very minor, only when the tranny was down shifting and not all the time (again very minor if at all and if I was not having problems with reverse I would not even notice anything). Also if I put it into reverse and let it sit with my foot on the break the slam is very hard however if I give it just a little fuel it will still have the delay but no sudden slam. So far I have changed the fluid & filter and replaced the valve body with a rebuilt one (twice) because I thought maybe the first one was bad so I sent it back and got another one. Also I have checked the solenoids prior to installing the new valves but I still have the slam issue. I just want to know if I should now tackle the input shaft nut since I don’t seem to have issues with the other gears. Can the input shaft nut still be the problem if reverse is the only gear effected. Thanks for every ones help.
cajunsand1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 10:45 AM   #151
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsand1 View Post
I need every ones help I have a 2000 SL1 with auto trans that has the hard reverse slam issue. There is no noticeable problems with any of the other gears. Very smooth shifting while up shifting. Although I may have noticed a very minor bump when the tranny was down shifting from 2nd to 1st. But again very minor, only when the tranny was down shifting and not all the time (again very minor if at all and if I was not having problems with reverse I would not even notice anything). Also if I put it into reverse and let it sit with my foot on the break the slam is very hard however if I give it just a little fuel it will still have the delay but no sudden slam. So far I have changed the fluid & filter and replaced the valve body with a rebuilt one (twice) because I thought maybe the first one was bad so I sent it back and got another one. Also I have checked the solenoids prior to installing the new valves but I still have the slam issue. I just want to know if I should now tackle the input shaft nut since I don’t seem to have issues with the other gears. Can the input shaft nut still be the problem if reverse is the only gear effected. Thanks for every ones help.
Sounds like the nut may be loose from everything I have read, but if you have a high idle, when trying to shift into Rev, it may be the throttle position sensor is bad. Check the idle speed, it should be about 800 rpm once warmed up. Try shifting into reverse after the engine is warmed up, from 800 rpm. IF the idle is higher than 800 rpm, like 1000 to 1200 replace the TPS next. First start cold idle will be about 1200 rpm, and slowly drop the first 2 minutes or so as the engine warms up
Old 01-08-2012, 02:47 AM   #152
ubenice
ubenice is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Read Plastic torpedo(senior member) post title "S-Series Automatic Transaxle "Reverse Slam Cure All" Post.. Lots of good discussion there.
ubenice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:22 PM   #153
cajunsand1

The idle is fine. What I am hoping to fine out is if the input shaft nut problem can only effect reverse. Again I have no other noticable issues with the other gears, they shift very smooth. But as other posters have indicated reverse is fine when cold but within just a few minutes of warming up or just a couple of miles driving the reverse slam is there. Again I have changed the fluid, filter and valve body. Is the next step the nut eventhough I have no other problems with the other gears? Help!
Old 01-09-2012, 02:51 PM   #154
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajunsand1 View Post
The idle is fine. What I am hoping to fine out is if the input shaft nut problem can only effect reverse. Again I have no other noticable issues with the other gears, they shift very smooth. But as other posters have indicated reverse is fine when cold but within just a few minutes of warming up or just a couple of miles driving the reverse slam is there. Again I have changed the fluid, filter and valve body. Is the next step the nut eventhough I have no other problems with the other gears? Help!
IIRC, from what all I read, yes, it can be a loose nut and just reverse slam.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:47 PM   #155
cajunsand1

Thanks, so here I go. I'll tackle the input shaft nut. I'm sure you will be hearing from me again. Thanks to everyone on this issue. A lot of good info.
Old 01-22-2012, 09:46 PM   #156
jimbo1490
jimbo1490 is on a distinguished road

Default "Reverse Slam Cure-All" fails; What now?

So I found this Craigslist '97 SL1 for $500. The previous owner said it once had the reverse slam problem and that eventually reverse quit working altogether, though all the forward gears continued to work OK. A test drive confirmed this with the exception that the 1-2 shift was balky. Through my research here on the forum, I was confident that the problem could be fixed for low cost so I went ahead and bought the car.

The first thing I did was to replace the valve body with a known good one that I happen to have. That made the 1-2 shift work perfectly, but there was still no reverse. I knew from my research of the old posts to this thread that I needed to remove the transmission cover and re-torque the input shaft nut. I did that job today, and it went smoothly. I got the cover off without bending the tubes at all, and reassembled the cover fairly quickly with only gentle wiggling and nudging of the cover to get it re-seated. I made a new gasket and I carefully cleaned and dried the nut and shaft and applied Loctite 277 before torquing to spec. It lost no more than a couple of ounces of fluid.

Trouble is now that its all back together, I have no gears at all!! No forward or reverse, NOTHING!!!

What the hell is going on?!!

Help me before I find a lake to donate this thing to!

Jimbo
jimbo1490 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:57 PM   #157
Ecomike

2001 SL1
Default Re: "Reverse Slam Cure-All" fails; What now?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1490 View Post
So I found this Craigslist '97 SL1 for $500. The previous owner said it once had the reverse slam problem and that eventually reverse quit working altogether, though all the forward gears continued to work OK. A test drive confirmed this with the exception that the 1-2 shift was balky. Through my research here on the forum, I was confident that the problem could be fixed for low cost so I went ahead and bought the car.

The first thing I did was to replace the valve body with a known good one that I happen to have. That made the 1-2 shift work perfectly, but there was still no reverse. I knew from my research of the old posts to this thread that I needed to remove the transmission cover and re-torque the input shaft nut. I did that job today, and it went smoothly. I got the cover off without bending the tubes at all, and reassembled the cover fairly quickly with only gentle wiggling and nudging of the cover to get it re-seated. I made a new gasket and I carefully cleaned and dried the nut and shaft and applied Loctite 277 before torquing to spec. It lost no more than a couple of ounces of fluid.

Trouble is now that its all back together, I have no gears at all!! No forward or reverse, NOTHING!!!

What the hell is going on?!!

Help me before I find a lake to donate this thing to!

Jimbo
I would be looking for something I did not get reseated, or reconnected properly, like shift linkage or the bulk head wiring connector, or a ground wire, just general stuff that is typically overlooked in a rush, or during a distraction. Any codes, CEL?

Alternately if your ready to drive it off a cliff, and the cliff is near me, Houston, Ill give you $400 for it, LOL!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 12:04 AM   #158
jimbo1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
I would be looking for something I did not get reseated, or reconnected properly, like shift linkage or the bulk head wiring connector, or a ground wire, just general stuff that is typically overlooked in a rush, or during a distraction. Any codes, CEL?

Shift linkage was not touched during the procedure, nor were any connectors or ground wires disconnected. The valve body was done weeks ago and the car has been driven frequently since then without incident. Today was the day to do ONLY the input shaft nut and I definitely took my time, about 6 hours. (I did the valve body in about 1.5 hours by contrast)

Jimbo
Old 01-23-2012, 01:15 AM   #159
Ecomike

2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo1490 View Post
Shift linkage was not touched during the procedure, nor were any connectors or ground wires disconnected. The valve body was done weeks ago and the car has been driven frequently since then without incident. Today was the day to do ONLY the input shaft nut and I definitely took my time, about 6 hours. (I did the valve body in about 1.5 hours by contrast)

Jimbo
Perhaps something was "touched" unintentionally? Can you do that job with out pulling the battery.....etc???

Check for a blown fuse!!!!!
Old 01-23-2012, 08:56 AM   #160
jimbo1490

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomike View Post
Perhaps something was "touched" unintentionally? Can you do that job with out pulling the battery.....etc???

Check for a blown fuse!!!!!
Yes you can do that job without removing the battery.

Jimbo