SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-27-2020, 05:24 PM   #1
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2
Default Saturns and the pandemic

Since the pandemic started, I've driven my SC2 about 500 miles. It's definitely not doing the car any good sitting like it has been. It sounds like the earliest I'll be commuting again is the summer of 2021, and who knows. So got to thinking - does it make sense to keep it insured? We have 4 drivers in the family, 5 cars, and 3 motorcycles. I see these options:
1) Do nothing.
2) Drop insurance and park it.
3) Drop insurance and take it apart, and properly rebuild it.
4) Sell it.

My primary vehicle would become the Dodge truck. Horrible fuel economy, but since I'm not driving much anyway that wouldn't matter, plus I've got 40-60 MPG motorcycles to ride if I am not hauling sailboats.

Anybody else going through this?

I'm going to call the insurance company and see what it is costing me to do nothing.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-2020, 06:12 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2
Default Re: Saturns and the pandemic

If insurance wouldn't cover "acts of god" and you don't get penalized for essentially pausing coverage, then it won't hurt to drop insurance on it. If insurance would cover "acts of god" like hail or a tree falling on it then keep it
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 07:57 PM   #3
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

When the pandemic was in full stay at home mode and the roads were near empty the major insurance companies were (Based on what I saw from ads on TV) offering discounts to people who might contact them and probably jump through hoops to get it. Can you imagine the profits these companies were making for a few months collecting everyones premiums while having to pay out almost no claims?
Sadly the roads are almost at full use and capacity now so the window has most likely closed for any sort of pandemic discount.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:03 PM   #4
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
If insurance wouldn't cover "acts of god" and you don't get penalized for essentially pausing coverage, then it won't hurt to drop insurance on it. If insurance would cover "acts of god" like hail or a tree falling on it then keep it
I have my Buick insured with just Comp, and it's dirt cheap..... like under $4.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 08:07 PM   #5
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiex191 View Post
Since the pandemic started, I've driven my SC2 about 500 miles. It's definitely not doing the car any good sitting like it has been. It sounds like the earliest I'll be commuting again is the summer of 2021, and who knows. So got to thinking - does it make sense to keep it insured? We have 4 drivers in the family, 5 cars, and 3 motorcycles. I see these options:
1) Do nothing.
2) Drop insurance and park it.
3) Drop insurance and take it apart, and properly rebuild it.
4) Sell it.

My primary vehicle would become the Dodge truck. Horrible fuel economy, but since I'm not driving much anyway that wouldn't matter, plus I've got 40-60 MPG motorcycles to ride if I am not hauling sailboats.

Anybody else going through this?

I'm going to call the insurance company and see what it is costing me to do nothing.
Does your municipality require you to keep it ready for the road.... registered and insured?

If you've got some more involved project on it, do that.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 09:55 PM   #6
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud oftoggenburg has much to be proud of

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1

Dummo. "Can you imagine the profits these companies were making for a few months collecting everyones premiums while having to pay out almost no claims?"
Same thoughts about Dental insurance deductions in our area, all dentists offices were closed down tight, yet premium's were taken out without being able to be used....but of course, no refunds or discounts ever came back to us.
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:40 AM   #7
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Option 3 is a good one.

You have the garage space don't you?
Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
98 SC2 - rusty frame minus engine.
onlinebiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 09:28 AM   #8
trottida
Master Member
trottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud oftrottida has much to be proud of

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

In April I reduced the insurance to just comprehensive (fire and theft). In my situation it saved quite a bit. My 17 YO daughter was the primary driver so the rates were about $1300 per year. The annual premium dropped to about $60 and since she was still considered primary driver we did not incur an occasional driver premium. She was still able to drive our other 2 cars fully insured.

As far as the storage goes; it sat in the driveway and I started it every week and took it for a short drive down the hill riding the brakes a bit to keep the rotors from rusting. Once a month I put the trickle charger on the battery.

If we didn't have a need for the Suburban to get back to the camp I could have put it on comprehensive too and just driven the Focus. I did advise that it was no longer a commuter (personal use only now) which reduced the rates a bit. They also gave a pandemic rebate ($35).

We put the Saturn back on full insurance now as my daughter is back in school. We switch off weekly so I get an opportunity to drive it and she gets to drive the Focus (her preference). My wife prefers not to drive the Saturn either so she'll do her running around in the Suburban if the Focus is not available. It's not very fuel efficient; it kind of annoys me but you know what they say...."Happy wife...."

Oh, to answer your question. Either 2 or 3.
1999 SL2 MT (287,130 km @ 10/2019)
2012 Ford Focus SEL HB MT
2011 Suburban LT

Past Saturns
2001 SL1 MT (438,500 km 11y)
1993 SW2 AT (10y)
2001 LW200 MT (3.5y)
1992 SL2 MT (5y)

:canada:
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:56 AM   #9
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Thanks all, good discussion. One clarification for point 4, likely I'd buy another Saturn in the future, but probably a desert or southern car with no rust. And probably a wagon. Assuming our civilization doesn't descend into anarchy or the Motor Law doesn't get enacted (Red Barchetta reference) that is.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 09-28-2020, 03:49 PM   #10
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

I'm driving my car every week or two, so am keeping the PLPD I've always had on the car. Three drivers, two cars and the minivan is being used for my son's daily commute, so the SC2 is the backup/emergency/parts fetch vehicle
Quote:
Thanks all, good discussion. One clarification for point 4, likely I'd buy another Saturn in the future, but probably a desert or southern car with no rust. And probably a wagon.
You've already BTDT on a rebuild so that's probably not a super exciting prospect

I'm considering buying a car in California while we are out there in a couple of weeks. The biggest thing I hate about being under the car is rust . . . and that;s my major concern going forward, too, on my SC2.

TV says that demand is high for used cars in some areas, as people look for ways to avoid mass transit for commuting. Not seeing that here as our mass transit is bad enough that few people use it anyway.

Quote:
Assuming our civilization doesn't descend into anarchy or the Motor Law doesn't get enacted (Red Barchetta reference) that is.
Red Barchetta is on every playlist I have for all my cars.

Along with XYZ and Tom Sawyer
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 09-28-2020 at 04:01 PM.
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:55 PM   #11
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

My auto insurance company notified me that they would be crediting $10 every month during the p___demic. I didn't have to ask. They automatically refunded me $10 for four months straight. I only keep liability coverage on my car (required by law).
1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 08:32 PM   #12
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I haven’t had any change in insurance, but I have noticed I’ve driven almost 1,000 miles less the last 6 months than I did last year. Normally change the oil every 3,000 miles, which usually ends up being every 6 months. Almost 7 months later though and I’ve barely driven 2,400 miles. Definitely did a lot less this summer than I have previous years
97 SL2, auto, 120K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
onlinebiker
onlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of lightonlinebiker is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by StarLady View Post
My auto insurance company notified me that they would be crediting $10 every month during the p___demic. I didn't have to ask. They automatically refunded me $10 for four months straight. I only keep liability coverage on my car (required by law).
Do they require PL/PD if you take off the registration?

Here in Michigan we only have to insure vehicles it they are registered.

It would kill me if they suddenly required insurance + plates on cars I am not driving. (We keep 4 registered)
Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 09-29-2020, 01:43 PM   #14
Waiex191
Master Member

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

I think Illinois does not pull your plates for lack of insurance, but if you drive without insurance and they catch you, then you get in trouble.
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Old 09-29-2020, 03:22 PM   #15
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
I think Illinois does not pull your plates for lack of insurance, but if you drive without insurance and they catch you, then you get in trouble.
Same here in MI, just need to show proof of insurance when getting or renewing plates, or when the police ask for it. There are places in Detroit that sell 7-day polices. Supposedly, these are "try it and buy it if you like it" but most folks get it to renew the plates, then let it lapse or cancel
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 04:27 AM   #16
onlinebiker

Quote:
I got hit by a car on a motorcycle when I lived in California... No insurance. (I had 6 bikes at the time)
Lost license for a year.

Spent a year riding nervous as hell....

Yeah - you do really dumb things in your 20's. At least I did.... I even got married. Briefly.
Currently owned
93 SC2
96 SC2
97 SL2
99 SC2
01 SC2 x 2 yellow
02 SC2
02 SL2
parts
2 94 SC2 parted out
2 96 SC2
Old 10-10-2020, 05:01 AM   #17
Mister_Cee
Mister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the roughMister_Cee is a jewel in the rough

1996 SW2

States have different rules and *I think* some states require a car to be insured to at least state minimum requirements even if not being driven.

However, when I was a resident of Washington State, every time I went on tour I parked my car at my folks's and, like 454cic, paused all coverages except comprehensive. I don't remember the premium but it was way less than keeping other coverages active.
Mister_Cee is offline   Reply With Quote