SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 03-19-2014, 12:59 AM   #21
Squareback
Squareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the roughSquareback is a jewel in the rough

2005 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Radiator Fan Not Turning On

If the outside temperature is below 40 degrees the a/c won't operate, thus the fan won't come on. Before you go hacking up your cooling system like others have done, take a candy thermometer, put it in the coolant bottle and start the car and run it until the fan comes on. Once that thermometer reaches 226 degrees, it will come on. If it doesn't, you have an issue. I can't tell you how many cars were brought into the dealership for "overheating" that were simply operating as designed.
Certified Saturn Technician
Squareback is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-19-2014, 02:03 PM   #22
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Just noting this for posterity. My fan's wiring broke free from its holder and rested against the exhaust manifold. The wiring melted then shorted out, blowing the fuse.

So that's a possibility if your fan doesn't turn on no matter what.
1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Syracuse":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 01:28 AM   #23
heroxoot
heroxoot is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Thanks for all the advice guys, but the car is gone. She skipped the timing chain and the motor is dead. She's gone.
heroxoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:13 AM   #24
Baumers03
Baumers03 is on a distinguished road

I have a 2002 SL1 and the car has been overheating and shutting off and will not start again until it cools down.

I have replaced the thermostat and it made no difference. I then replaced the coolant temp sensor. It still had the factory one with the plastic end and now it is the brass one. Still no luck having the fan kick in before the car overheats and shuts off. The normal temp gage reading for my car has always been approx 3/8 or a bit a less. Now the will go up to just over half and the car shuts off.

I know the fan is still good because when I start the car without the Coolant temp sensor connected, the fan will come on. Also when I turn on the AC and the compressor kicks in, the cooling fan also turns on.

I thought replacing the ECTS would do the trick. Is it a wiring issue going to the ECTS? If it is a wiring issue, would tje fan have still turned on when I started the car without the ECTS connected?

Thanks for any help.
Baumers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 11:26 AM   #25
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

May want to replace your water pump. Sounds like there is a water flow issue. Also flush your radiator and make sure water flows freely. If all of those are good, could be the water jacket is filled with sludge.
If it ain't broke it's over designed.
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 05:28 PM   #26
Baumers03
Baumers03 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa View Post
May want to replace your water pump. Sounds like there is a water flow issue. Also flush your radiator and make sure water flows freely. If all of those are good, could be the water jacket is filled with sludge.
I did replace the thermostat and topped up the overflow tank. I ran the car until it was hot, expecting to have to top off the tank once the thermostat opened but I never did. What would be the easiest way to tell if the water pump is not working?
Baumers03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 07:31 AM   #27
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumers03 View Post
I did replace the thermostat and topped up the overflow tank. I ran the car until it was hot, expecting to have to top off the tank once the thermostat opened but I never did. What would be the easiest way to tell if the water pump is not working?
Take the thermostat out and close the system back up. Run the engine. You should feel the hoses to the radiator getting warm fairly quickly. If they are not, then there is no flow through your radiator. You either have a bad water pump, or a clogged radiator.
If it ain't broke it's over designed.
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:19 PM   #28
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baumers03 View Post
....... What would be the easiest way to tell if the water pump is not working?
With the coolant cap off, engine idling, look into the coolant container. The t-stat does not stop coolant flow since the water pump runs non stop. If the t-stat stopped all coolant flow then the engine would overheat in a few minutes after startup regardless of t-stat operation. Coolant flow is restricted somewhat by the t-stat but still flows into the heater core and the reason for heat in cold weather as soon as the car is driven. Looking into the coolant container should show coolant flow as engine coolant from pump operation pushes engine coolant directly into the heater core, returning to the coolant container thru one of the hoses (top one?). If water pump operation failed, the engine would overheat soon after starting and not show any flow of coolant in the coolant container. In addition, a damaged water pump usually fails from bearing wear, leaking coolant at the pump shaft. Removing the serpentine belt, you should not be able to rock the water pump pulley from side to side (good bearings). Worn bearings allows the pump shaft to rock sideways and leak coolant.

With the coolant cap off, engine idling, coolant flow should be seen. A finger into cold engine coolant should tell you soon enough as the engine warms up, coolant will turn warm as a direct result of normal pump operation.

If the radiator is original, was any sealer used over the years? If coolant was ever flushed, what color was old coolant compared to when it was fresh? If a flush used plain water, what color was the water when drained? Saturn cooling systems are self purging but sometimes a little help is needed. Parking with the front higher than the rear allows air to leave the system when starting with the coolant cap off for 10-20 minutes, engine idling.
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote