SaturnFans.com
saturnfans.com - classifieds - forums - webmail

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General

Old 09-13-2020, 01:45 PM   #6621
jpags729
jpags729 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
Default Re: What did you do to your S-Series today...

Fixed my loose steering column with replacing the top screw. Followed oldnuc's advice and bought the m6 x1mm x25mm bolts from local hardware store but only the top bolt was loose. Also followed richpins ignition switch cleaning while I was there and cleaned out a lot of brass shavings. Key has no issues going in now.

Next up is finding a junkyard wiper motor and doing a throttle body cleaning.
Current:
1999 Saturn SL2 1.9 "Sophia Loren 2"
2008 Honda Accord EX-L 2.4
1993 Chevy Camaro Z28 5.7

Previous:
2007 Chevy Malibu LS 2.2
2003 Nissan Altima SE 3.5
jpags729 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-13-2020, 04:16 PM   #6622
codyas
codyas is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00_SL1 View Post
That sounds pretty rad. Did you document what you did anywhere? Is this your stock Saturn radio from 1993, or from a different vehicle?
Its basically the faceplate and buttons from a 1984-85 Pontiac fiero radio with the guts from a 1990 Cadillac radio. The factory one was just a plain am fm tape player. . i didn't do up anything on what i did to hook it in. This is the 1st trial of this setup. Its set up different than my usual modded setups.
codyas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:29 PM   #6623
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

Final put in a new fuel pump over the weekend. I’ve wanted to change it for a while now but just haven’t really gotten around to it. I also didn’t really want to drop the tank since I never have before. It didn’t seem that hard, but I’m also not able to get the car very high off the ground, so I wasn’t sure if I would have enough room.

This is what I was working with for reference

Even with the limited clearance, I was able to get it out. The tank has defiantly been in there for a while. I would assume since the factory, but it also has markings on it that look like they are from a junk yard, so I’m not really sure how long it has been in there. Except for an accident my father had been in back in 2000 with the car, there isn’t really a reason why it would have been changed.

A quick wash and the tank looked a lot better

I had bought a Saturn specific tool off of eBay a few months ago to hopefully make removing the old pump easier. It’s meant to be attached to a half inch breaker bar. (factory service manual recommends 18 inches) mine was so rusted though I wasn’t really getting anywhere with it. I then tried a hammer and screwdriver which also didn’t get very far. After about 20 minutes of switching between the two, I tried putting the Saturn tool on my impact gun. I only gently pulled the trigger and within 3 seconds it removed the lock ring.

I could never really deceive what brand fuel pump I wanted to buy since I wasn’t sure what brand would last. Right when I was about to buy one this Bosh pump showed up on Amazon. It was supposedly the Facory OEM pump and everywhere else I looked before didn’t have it in stock. Even amazon has only had the one since. It doesn’t come with a float though like some others I looked at so I had to swap the old one over to the new housing. I was suprised to see the float said “SAT 97” on it.

The part number on the new one is defiantly a GM part number, and looks a lot like the sticker on the original pump. The number is different though and I can’t find and information online about either of them, so hopefully the new one is an updated version that won’t eventually fail like the old one.

I used my impact and the Saturn fuel pump tool to re install the lock ring. I forgot to buy a new one, so I just wire wheeled the old one and reused it.

The tank was a little tricky lifting back into place, but that was mainly due to the tank straps being bent a little too far back making for a tight fit when trying to bolt it down. A floor lack with a block of wood defiantly helps hold the tank while I wiggled it into place and connected the fuel lines.

It took a little longer to get done than I thought it would, but I’m glad I did it. The car actually starts now every time without having to prime it. The engine would stumble to a start sometimes if it was hot, even with priming the pump, so even if it doesn’t really make much of a difference after starting the car, it still feels a lot smoother overall now

https://imgur.com/a/NDqZEvT
97 SL2, auto, 120K miles
Zeebins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:44 PM   #6624
Zeebins
Zeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to beholdZeebins is a splendid one to behold

1997 SL2

I also “fixed” a broken exhaust heat shield while I noticed while the fuel tank was out. I don’t really have a way of removing the heat shield and replacing it, or a way to fix the old rivets, but I do have stainless steel hose clamps. It may not be an the best fix but I did the same thing to another section 2 years ago and it’s held up fine, so it’s good enough to prevent it from rattling.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 316903DA-99A6-472C-8810-B78F6C7D3C5A.jpg (166.0 KB, 18 views)
97 SL2, auto, 120K miles
Old 09-14-2020, 07:02 PM   #6625
00_SL1
00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough00_SL1 is a jewel in the rough

2001 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeebins View Post
I also “fixed” a broken exhaust heat shield while I noticed while the fuel tank was out. I don’t really have a way of removing the heat shield and replacing it, or a way to fix the old rivets, but I do have stainless steel hose clamps. It may not be an the best fix but I did the same thing to another section 2 years ago and it’s held up fine, so it’s good enough to prevent it from rattling.
That's a pretty nice fix there, it ought to hold up for a little while anyways.
01 SL2
04 Silverado
06 Uplander
05 Express
00_SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 04:49 PM   #6626
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Short Version:
Messed with my hobby car. My troubleshooting analysis is probably blathering B.S.

Long Version:
400-mile drive.
Car-destroying vibration thru the gas pedal from 60 to 65 mph.

60-65 mph vibration worse with load, as in driving up a grade.

Vibration currently smooths-out above 75 mph, unfortunately, there are no speed limit signs in the state that are above 75 mph.
Vibration is lessened by dropping the front tire pressure to 36 psi hot. Unfortunately, this turned the tire sidewalls slightly brown from highway speeds, but the car tracked well on rain grooves, even while there were stiff cross-winds.

I Suspect:
1. The front tires need to be replaced.
2. The Poly end bushing on the stabilizer bar-to-control arm (last replaced 6/2019)
3. The driver’s axle

A new driver’s axle was last installed 7/2018 and it was a little stiff in the joints.
The FSM lists a stiff CV joint as a possible cause of vibration.
Someone here suggested squeezing the boot to get more grease into the moving parts, which I did before installing the driver’s axle.

On 9/16/2020, the new Cardone. A1 66-1273 driver’s axle arrived and it is “limber” in the CV joints. This is good.

History of New Parts:
Struts & mounts 7/2018
Driver’s axle 7/2018
Driver’s wheel bearing and hub 1/2019
Control arms 6/2019
Control bar Polyurethane end bushing-to-control arm 6/2019
Tie rods installed by Turn One, rack inspected by Turn One 6/2019
Tie rod ends 6/2019
Passenger’s axle 8/2020
Tires 8/2020
Rotors and brake pads 8/2020

All engine mounts loosened, engine shaken and all mounts retightened 9/2020
The very stiff top engine mount is practically new. The two dog bones are full of 3M WindoWeld. Lower transmission rubber mount is a few years old.

Re-ground the front tires round again 9/15/2020. It could be that they need to be touched-up every 1000 miles or so.

The larger-footprint and lower-density of the Chinese lead alloy balance weight, combined with a soft foam backing, might lead to weird harmonics as the foam compresses and the weights start “communicating” with the wheel.

I plan to replace the driver’s axle and the Polyurethane ends on the control bar ...and go from there.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine

Last edited by bumpdraft; 09-16-2020 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Tie rod ends
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:39 AM   #6627
bumpdraft
Master Member
bumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nicebumpdraft is just really nice

1998 SC2
1998 SW2

Follow-up: It was the axle. The Poly end bushings on the control bar are fine, despite using them in the winter.
The inner CV joint went bad, with sloppy backlash. Plenty of grease.
https://imgur.com/a/xNzqEfI
I wish the inner CV joint looked like the O.E. inner CV joint -More rotational mass to help center the assembly in the differential. That is my guess.

For the front, more tires of the same type are on order I remain hopeful.
Competition Clutch 10Lb. Flywheel. 14 stalls to date (and loving it).
Oil use is 1 ounce per 100 miles with ~230,000 miles on the engine
bumpdraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2020, 11:56 AM   #6628
Zeebins

1997 SL2

Swapped the larger idler pulley onto the belt tensioner yesterday. I was previously using a half inch shorter belt to try and stop the rattling, but it still would idling in gear with the a/c on. The larger pulley seemed to have solved that problem. I had to switch back to the larger OE belt size though. The smaller belt + larger pulley just doesn’t fit.
97 SL2, auto, 120K miles
Old 09-22-2020, 04:27 PM   #6629
sallydriver
sallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to allsallydriver is a name known to all

1999 SL2
1993 SW2

Wow. I haven't been here in a very long time. My parents have been driving my 98 SL when I'm not home (became an OTR truck driver). They recently informed me he's making funny noises. Head gasket blew. So I've been planning for that.
1998 Red SL 5spd "The Right Honorable Duke Farnsworth the Functional of Syracuse":165,000 miles
1999 Forest Green SL2 5spd "Sally": 307,100+ miles
sallydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 08:19 AM   #6630
Blueboy
Blueboy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SL2

Changed front brakes on the '98 auto using Centric 12062038 coated rotors and Centric ceramic pads. Also replaced wiper blades, rotated tires and adjusted air pressure. Real quick service from RockAuto, but no magnet this time. Winter is coming soon, so got to be ready.
As of Sept. 2020:
'98 SL2 Auto "Autoboy" 69K
'98 SL2 Manual "Whiteboy" 2K

'01 SL2 Manual "Blueboy" 247K (Taken by Ins. Co. Jan. 2020)
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2020, 02:31 PM   #6631
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueboy View Post
Real quick service from RockAuto, but no magnet this time.
I've been noticing the magnets are getting hit and miss. I've had several packages without them now.
2000 SL2 Automatic (back on the road) 17X,XXX miles.
1999 Chevy K3500
454cid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 08:11 AM   #6632
StarLady
Advanced Member
StarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really niceStarLady is just really nice

1992 SC

I haven't posted on this thread in a long time... but then again, I haven't been doing much to my car in a while.
I got a flat tire last week that was patched up at a gas station. Checked my oil yesterday and needed to add almost half a quart (!). I guess I'll be getting an oil change soon.

So, I'd like to remind everyone to: CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN
CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN
CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN
CHECK YOUR OIL OFTEN
1992 SC - TwinCam (Automagic)
Bought it brand new, and still loving it today.
StarLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 01:21 AM   #6633
454cid
Advanced Member
454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough454cid is a jewel in the rough

Started cleaning up the black plastic panels/liners that go under and around the car on the front. I removed those pieces over the course of working on various parts of the car this past year, and maybe a few last year. I've got one soaking in some old waste degreaser, but it's not deep enough so I'll hit it with something in a can, most likely. I've got new push-pin retainers to re-install it all.

My driver's side door continually squeaks when I open it and close it because without the wheel well liner it gets dirty fast. I also think maybe these pieces being off the car is costing me a few mpg. I'm only hitting 32 and 33 now, never 35. The only thing I can think of that has changed is aerodynamics.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 09-28-2020, 04:12 PM   #6634
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 454cid View Post
My driver's side door continually squeaks when I open it and close it because without the wheel well liner it gets dirty fast.
Is it a creaky sound? Try a little spray lube where the retaining strap bolts on to the door (it's a 10mm head bolt) to troubleshoot and see if it quiets down.

I have a creak there . . . disassembled, tried all kinds of grease, powdered mica, motor oil, even cut a mylar washer (didnt have thin nylon, plastic, or delrin handy) before putting back together. The only thing that has worked for more than a week or two was 3-in-1 light oil.
I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 151k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2020, 12:55 AM   #6635
454cid
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by alordofchaos View Post
Is it a creaky sound? Try a little spray lube where the retaining strap bolts on to the door (it's a 10mm head bolt) to troubleshoot and see if it quiets down.

I have a creak there . . . disassembled, tried all kinds of grease, powdered mica, motor oil, even cut a mylar washer (didnt have thin nylon, plastic, or delrin handy) before putting back together. The only thing that has worked for more than a week or two was 3-in-1 light oil.
I sprayed the whole thing down with something, and it didn't last at all. I'll aim specifically where you say next time.
1999 Chevy K3500
Old 09-29-2020, 04:43 PM   #6636
Blueboy
Blueboy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
1998 SL2

Removed the plastic valve cover on the '98 auto sl2 and installed an aluminum cover. The spark plug wires were not replaced because they were installed only 9k miles ago, and they seem to fit the aluminum cover okay.

Also, changed the auto trans filter (Wix). The fluid was changed to Amsoil Torque-Drive at 42k miles, so changing the filter every 30k miles is all I need to do for a long time, if I understand oldnuc's instructions correctly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg VC-1.jpg (141.7 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg VC-2.jpg (144.0 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg VC-3.jpg (142.9 KB, 9 views)
As of Sept. 2020:
'98 SL2 Auto "Autoboy" 69K
'98 SL2 Manual "Whiteboy" 2K

'01 SL2 Manual "Blueboy" 247K (Taken by Ins. Co. Jan. 2020)
Blueboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #6637
dummo
Master Member
dummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to alldummo is a name known to all

1997 SW2

Came out of work to a flat passenger side rear tire. Luckily I had all the tools to plug the nail hole on site and 45 minutes later was on my way home.

CA6D4402-E308-438F-8881-26402B60BF0A.jpg

Tools used:
$10.00 Green Slime Top Off Tire inflation pump.
Tire plugging kit (T-shaped handled tools for inserting sticky rope plugs)
Saturn jack and lug wrench
Pliers
Utility knife (for cutting off excess plug)

Note:I recently had a few bucks on a The Home Depot gift card and purchased their bright orange ‘Homer’ tool box which enables me to keep a nice array of tools in the wagon with me at all times, day or night, rain or shine.
• 1997 SW2 used 12/29/2011 with 124,200 -27 mpg
• 2004 Ion3 new 11/2003 (totaled) 11/2011 -23 mpg
• 1994 SL1 new traded
• 1992 SL2 new traded for above
* 1986 Yamaha ce50 Jog -100 mpg
dummo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:04 PM   #6638
Pitcher
Master Member
Pitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura aboutPitcher has a spectacular aura about

1998 SC2

Added Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner with HIGH PEA in it.

Go Red Hot, go!
Proud Owner of an Invincible '98 SC2 Rare "Red Hot" 5-Speed.
Castrol Edge EP + M1 Ext Perf. Oil Filter.

Owned 4 other S-Series.
Pitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2020, 07:40 PM   #6639
Waiex191
Master Member
Waiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really niceWaiex191 is just really nice

1999 SL2
1998 SC2

Not so much what I did to my Saturn, but what I did to someone's former Saturn. I took their hitch out.

Not bad for $30. They had the welded wheel supports under the hitch so I got one of their rolling gantrys and yanked it off via the trunk latch bracket.

My red '98 is running like crap. It had a P0303 last week. I cleared it and nothing came back since but definitely feels like it is missing sometimes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg hitch haul.jpg (71.3 KB, 45 views)
Bryan Cotton
'99 SL2, 5SP bought new
Rebuilt at 204,067 September 2017
Engine, subframe, diff pin mod, brake lines, headliner, alternator, and so on!
'98 SC2, 5SP bought 2018
Waiex191 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2020, 01:02 AM   #6640
NWSaturn247
NWSaturn247 will become famous soon enoughNWSaturn247 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

I'm due for an oil change soon. Today I decided to experiment. I pulled the PCV out of the valve cover and put a funnel in the hole and sprayed a few shots of pn 0120 Chemtool. Put the PCV back in the place and drove to a destination. I will do that daily until oil change.
1999 SL2 A4 -91k miles
Currently sipping Valvoline NextGen HM 10w-30

TCW3 dosed fuel

1993 SL2 SOLD @189k
NWSaturn247 is offline   Reply With Quote