SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-10-2005, 02:32 AM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default what's under Throttle Position Indicator?

Looking at the Throttle Body, it looks like there is some type of sensor under the TP sensor. What is that?

How does the computer adjust the throttle (fast idle, coasting, etc). Somewhere it must be able to move the throttle??

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2
Default Re: what's under Throttle Position Indicator?

I believe that you're refering to the IAC (Idle Air Control). It controls the amouhnt of air that goes into the engine at idle. The PCM is able to control the amount of gas going through the injectors directly. That plus the IAC allows it to control the idle without actually moving the throttle.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:25 AM   #3
sps SOHC
Master Member
sps SOHC is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2

There are some cars that have electronic throttle bodies. Not our saturn's though.

-96 SC2 gets 35 mpg mix city/hw.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sps SOHC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sps SOHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:29 AM   #4
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

IAC motor controlled pintle. If you ever look into the throttle body, there is a small hole just before the throttle plate that passes down to the IAC. By opening/closing this passage with the IAC, idle speed is adjusted. Despite a base adjustment on the throttle body, which you never want to touch, there is no idle speed adjustment.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:42 AM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by sps SOHC
There are some cars that have electronic throttle bodies. Not our saturn's though.
I'm not sure if this is what you are referring to or not, but my Vue has an electronic throttle. There is no cable going from the gas ped. I am very aware of this because the dealer tried 5 times to get mine to work properly and then finally agreed to rebuy the car as a lemon. The computer kept throwing a code about a bad position indicator and then would kill power.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 11:59 AM   #6
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

That may be. Electronic throttles can be a pain. Especially when it comes to performance modifications and such.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help sps SOHC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 02:26 PM   #7
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

How does the IAC work? Does it open another hole for air to get into the TB (bypassing the filter)? Does it open a hole that routes around the throttle plate?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2005, 03:13 PM   #8
sps SOHC
Master Member

1996 SC2

There is a whole around the TB at the bottom. There is a small hole inside that hole. The IAC pushes a pintle to block up that hole or open the hole.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:22 PM   #9
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

This forum is just so great, so much great information! If you guys ever decide to work on Mooney's or Aeronca's let me know. I've got one of each and am getting tired of paying FAA mechanics $120/hr (deduct 20% for those of you who don't live in The People's Republic of California) to work on them!!

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2005, 08:34 PM   #10
the_skin_eater
the_skin_eater is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1

hmmm...Screw school, Im moving over.

Im not crazy, just bored...
http://www.cardomain.com/id/the_skin_eater ---Chek it out.

All my time goes to the Talon...My girlfriend is jealous. But my car is jealous that I sleep with her...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to the_skin_eater's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help the_skin_eater reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
the_skin_eater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 08:46 PM   #11
dansl2
Advanced Member
dansl2 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1
This forum is just so great, so much great information! If you guys ever decide to work on Mooney's or Aeronca's let me know. I've got one of each and am getting tired of paying FAA mechanics $120/hr (deduct 20% for those of you who don't live in The People's Republic of California) to work on them!!

Thanks!
Hey! I live in the Great Bear Flag Republic of Norte California, does that qualify?
Or, I can get the Raider Nation to come tailgate in your front yard next time your house is for sale.

Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dansl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dansl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dansl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 02:50 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansl2
Hey! I live in the Great Bear Flag Republic of Norte California, does that qualify?
Or, I can get the Raider Nation to come tailgate in your front yard next time your house is for sale.
Not afraid of the Raiders. I've seen them play this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2005, 09:14 PM   #13
FrozenPilot
FrozenPilot is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1

$120/hr?!! Man thats spendy! I haven't seen anything over $80/hr when I take the Skyhawk on the road, and I've been to some big cities on my job. Too bad I love flying too much to stop and get my A&P.

Its all about the coffee...

'06 Mazda 6i & '95 Saturn SL1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to FrozenPilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help FrozenPilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
FrozenPilot is offline   Reply With Quote