SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-16-2018, 03:40 AM   #1
L300Geek
L300Geek is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Dizzy [2001 L300] - Easiest way to tap into true ignition safely; anyone?

I am looking for anyone who knows how to tap into the true ignition wire. I have a Stinger 200amp isolator/relay for a Aux Power setup with a 27 Deep Cycle Marine Battery and have most all interior panels removed. Any help would be gladly appreciated. I have crimpers, wires, lugs (3/8 or 5/16) and a voltmeter.T

Thank you kindly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L300Geek's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L300Geek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L300Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-16-2018, 04:41 AM   #2
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question Re: [2001 L300] - Easiest way to tap into true ignition safely; anyone?

Starter/Ignition Wires:
(Unclear how to wire in 8 gague power terminal cable here. I have found a way through the firewall with my Aux battery and plan to run this wire through the same hole. I just don't know what I am lookung at. Computer geek here. I also have a chilton; however, it confuses me. ):

[IMG]https://ibb.co/c2q***[/IMG]

[IMG]https://ibb.co/c2q***[/IMG]

Last edited by L300Geek; 09-16-2018 at 04:43 AM.. Reason: pics not showing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help L300Geek reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2018, 04:47 AM   #3
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: [2001 L300] - Easiest way to tap into true ignition safely; anyone?

For some reason my pics from my last response did not go through. I pasted :dpaste dot de/etyX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2018, 06:35 AM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Presuming your setup is controlling the auxiliary battery with a 200 amp relay from the ignition switch (correct me if I'm wrong), do you have a wiring diagram of this setup? You can attach thumbnail images as long as file size is under a megabyte, preferably in jpeg format but other formats are acceptable s long as images or drawings are small file sizes. If linking to other sites, type in the address in plain text until your post count exceeds 15 then you can add url addresses as a member. This was done to deter spammers.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 61yT3hHuXUL._SL1000_.jpg (93.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 61RU8X6p6bL._SL1500_ (2).jpg (52.6 KB, 7 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:03 PM   #5
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: [2001 L300] - Easiest way to tap into true ignition safely; anyone?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Presuming your setup is controlling the auxiliary battery with a 200 amp relay from the ignition switch (correct me if I'm wrong), do you have a wiring diagram of this setup? You can attach thumbnail images as long as file size is under a megabyte, preferably in jpeg format but other formats are acceptable s long as images or drawings are small file sizes. If linking to other sites, type in the address in plain text until your post count exceeds 15 then you can add url addresses as a member. This was done to deter spammers.
Yes sir, it is a Stinger 200 AMP relay. I do have wiring diagrams from my Chilton Guide. I have resized most of my pictures along with my rig and my mods so far. The only thing that isn't pictured is my Deep Cycle 27 Marine Battery (just the tubing for gas outage apparently).

I have run 2 4-Gaguge 20FT cables from under the hood past the firewall by the foot pedals and the battery/inverter will be in the trunk where the cables end.

The Stinger 200 AMP is under the air filter compartment with gorilla glue. I have since torn my entire inside front out just about; minus major insulation.

I have 8-Gauge red/black wire (10ft. of red) -- purchased for wiring the "true ignition" wire from the Stinger 200AMP relay post and (4 ft. of black) -- for grounding the Stinger relay post and for the Auxiliary Battery in the trunk.

I will post the schematics from Chilton first and then proceed with my current pics of my rig.

Completely stumped at this point. I also have $0 funds available to me anymore. So what I have is what I have. I don't think I forgot anything based on all my research and the months I have been working on this.

Thank you for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:06 PM   #6
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: [2001 L300] - Easiest way to tap into true ignition safely; anyone?

Pictures of Chilton's Starter Wiring Schematics
Attached Images
File Type: jpg chilton1-resized.jpg (168.1 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg chilton2-resized.jpg (80.6 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg chilton3-resized.jpg (94.0 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg chilton4-resized.jpg (100.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpg chilton5-resized.jpg (82.2 KB, 3 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:18 PM   #7
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pictures of Rig Part 1
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.jpg (168.2 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 1-resized.jpg (153.6 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg 2-resized.jpg (127.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 3.jpg (108.4 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 4.jpg (148.9 KB, 8 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #8
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pictures of Rig Part 2
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 5.jpg (145.9 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 6-resized.jpg (110.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 7.jpg (158.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 8.jpg (90.2 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (157.6 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #9
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pictures of Rig Part 3
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 10.jpg (136.5 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 11.jpg (99.7 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg 12.jpg (73.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpg 13-resized.jpg (108.3 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg 14-resized.jpg (145.8 KB, 4 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:25 PM   #10
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pictures of Rig Part 4
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 15-resized.jpg (113.2 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg 16.jpg (120.4 KB, 6 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #11
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That should clear some things up a lot better. I was using an Android phone. On my laptop and resized all my images. Those smartphones really take high resolution photos.

Best Regards!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 03:59 PM   #12
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Three critical points in those pics; black duct tape, electrical tape and gorilla glue. Tape adhesive turns gooey in a year or so and leaves a sticky mess while exposing wires - don't use it, avoid it if possible. For wire ends like termination points to lug/spade terminals, use shrink tubing or liquid tape. Shrink tubing and liquid tape are found in Home Depot with both a better way to insulate better than plain electrical tape that's guaranteed to turn gooey, dry out and leave wires exposed. Shrink tubing has an indefinite shelf life. Liquid tape may have a short shelf life as the solvent evaporates over time no matter how tight the screw top is tightened. Black duct tape is the same as electrical tape except it uses fabric for strength. The adhesive will dry out with tape falling off. Silicone sealant or rubber grommets provide sealing with grommets protecting against wire chafing sharp metal edges. Plastic coping (search for uses) can be used to line sharp edges in round holes when grommet size isn't found. Gorilla glue isn't recommended as the heavy duty relay with large gauge cables can apply enough torque and bending forces to break the glue bond. Relays should be mounted with metal brackets for a secured in place mounting - tugging on cables mounted to a relay shouldn't move it. If you can grab the relay with one hand, push/pull/bend it on its glued mount and it comes off, use a metal bracket.

I forgot to ask, what's the amperage needed to power this relay coil? If its less than 5 amps or so, you may be able to wire the coil into the ignition switch on the ACCessory/RUN terminal (not the START/yellow wire). If amperage is more than 5 amps for the relay coil, another smaller relay may be needed against too much power draw from the ignition switch. Sort of like a baby relay to power up the Stinger relay. The smaller relay protects the ignition switch and not too complicated to draw a wiring diagram.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2018, 05:22 PM   #13
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Three critical points in those pics; black duct tape, electrical tape and gorilla glue. Tape adhesive turns gooey in a year or so and leaves a sticky mess while exposing wires - don't use it, avoid it if possible. For wire ends like termination points to lug/spade terminals, use shrink tubing or liquid tape. Shrink tubing and liquid tape are found in Home Depot with both a better way to insulate better than plain electrical tape that's guaranteed to turn gooey, dry out and leave wires exposed. Shrink tubing has an indefinite shelf life. Liquid tape may have a short shelf life as the solvent evaporates over time no matter how tight the screw top is tightened. Black duct tape is the same as electrical tape except it uses fabric for strength. The adhesive will dry out with tape falling off. Silicone sealant or rubber grommets provide sealing with grommets protecting against wire chafing sharp metal edges. Plastic coping (search for uses) can be used to line sharp edges in round holes when grommet size isn't found. Gorilla glue isn't recommended as the heavy duty relay with large gauge cables can apply enough torque and bending forces to break the glue bond. Relays should be mounted with metal brackets for a secured in place mounting - tugging on cables mounted to a relay shouldn't move it. If you can grab the relay with one hand, push/pull/bend it on its glued mount and it comes off, use a metal bracket.

I forgot to ask, what's the amperage needed to power this relay coil? If its less than 5 amps or so, you may be able to wire the coil into the ignition switch on the ACCessory/RUN terminal (not the START/yellow wire). If amperage is more than 5 amps for the relay coil, another smaller relay may be needed against too much power draw from the ignition switch. Sort of like a baby relay to power up the Stinger relay. The smaller relay protects the ignition switch and not too complicated to draw a wiring diagram.
fdryer,

Thank you kindly for your upgrade, safety and professional expertise. I do not know what Amperage requirements my Stinger 200AMP requires.

I am trying to locate the wire which "opens/closes" the circuit when the key is in, cranked and running (3 different voltages from what I have researched).

I like your idea on Accessory Wire. Are we referring to 12v because I don't feel it's sufficient and safe with my power requirements. Starting with a 1100 watt continuous power inverter and eventually plan to scale to multiple batteries and inverters later.

Best Regards,

Brandon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-20-2018, 09:33 PM   #14
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No professional expertise, just another diyer with some knowledge and service manuals for reference and sharing info. Below are wiring diagrams of the ignition switch with several wires to consider tapping into from the ACCessory or RUN ignition switch - pink, brown, two orange wires or dark green. If you can locate and identify the orange wire that powers the missing heat seat circuit (20 amp fuse), this may be the best place to tap in to for power to your Stinger. You can also wire a manual switch in series with tapping into one of these wires to have manual control when to have auxiliary power after switching ignition on. I asked what the coil amperage of the Stinger so it can be determined if it loads down any circuit. There's a way to find out.

Simply wire the Stinger coil to the battery and multimeter in series set for amps. An ammeter with a 10 amp rating is needed otherwise any meter with less than 5 amp capability may blow its internal fuse. My guess is the Stinger is similar to starter motor solenoids as they must be able to pass similar current for starter motors. I would guess between 5-8 amps for starter solenoids.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg TifToGif.jpg (155.1 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg TifToGif (1).jpg (169.2 KB, 5 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 09:33 AM   #15
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
No professional expertise, just another diyer with some knowledge and service manuals for reference and sharing info. Below are wiring diagrams of the ignition switch with several wires to consider tapping into from the ACCessory or RUN ignition switch - pink, brown, two orange wires or dark green. If you can locate and identify the orange wire that powers the missing heat seat circuit (20 amp fuse), this may be the best place to tap in to for power to your Stinger. You can also wire a manual switch in series with tapping into one of these wires to have manual control when to have auxiliary power after switching ignition on. I asked what the coil amperage of the Stinger so it can be determined if it loads down any circuit. There's a way to find out.

Simply wire the Stinger coil to the battery and multimeter in series set for amps. An ammeter with a 10 amp rating is needed otherwise any meter with less than 5 amp capability may blow its internal fuse. My guess is the Stinger is similar to starter motor solenoids as they must be able to pass similar current for starter motors. I would guess between 5-8 amps for starter solenoids.
fdryer,

Thank you very much for that valuable information and schematics. How exactly does one trace a wire to a fuse in the fuse panel? Are you suggesting there is an unused 20amp fuse in the fuse panel that goes to a missing heat seat circuit? What exactly does that mean? Did Saturn decide not to use an additional circuit? Both my seats have working heaters in them.

Again; much appreciated!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 10:26 AM   #16
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Leather seats? This is new info I'm not aware of. With two seat heaters, there should be at least two or three orange wires in the ignition switch harness. The two orange wires shown in the drawing feed 12v power to each interior fuse panel. You can check this wiring by inserting a T-pin needle into insulation, clip a meter probe to it with other other probe to chassis ground, turn on ignition. Ignition OFF - zero voltage, ignition ON - 12v. This would be switched power to the Stinger. Ground can be anywhere in the engine bay chassis. If the Stinger was bolted to the chassis, ground the Stinger coil to one of the mounts. 10 gauge wiring?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 11:17 AM   #17
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Leather seats? This is new info I'm not aware of. With two seat heaters, there should be at least two or three orange wires in the ignition switch harness. The two orange wires shown in the drawing feed 12v power to each interior fuse panel. You can check this wiring by inserting a T-pin needle into insulation, clip a meter probe to it with other other probe to chassis ground, turn on ignition. Ignition OFF - zero voltage, ignition ON - 12v. This would be switched power to the Stinger. Ground can be anywhere in the engine bay chassis. If the Stinger was bolted to the chassis, ground the Stinger coil to one of the mounts. 10 gauge wiring?
Yes sir. Leather seats. For the starter wiring. I peeled back electrical tape with the following:

- Wire 1 : Solid Yellow
- Wire 2: Solid Orange / Black Striped
- Wire 3: Solid Red / White Stripe

These wires are the ones depicted in the photos on the connector to the starter (directly above the key).

I have no access to an Ampmeter sir.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 11:56 AM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When you state starter wiring, are you describing the ignition switch wiring?

I'm a little confused as wiring diagrams show more than three wires to the ignition switch. I'm looking over wiring diagrams and cannot find the three wires you're describing. I can continue but at the risk of going off track, I think we need to be on the same page. If you can post a snapshot, please do.

Below is the only drawing showing where the ignition switch harness is disconnected. I'm having trouble finding connector drawings with pinouts to the ignition switch.
Attached Images
File Type: gif TifToGif.gif (24.6 KB, 2 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 02:19 PM   #19
L300Geek

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
When you state starter wiring, are you describing the ignition switch wiring?

I'm a little confused as wiring diagrams show more than three wires to the ignition switch. I'm looking over wiring diagrams and cannot find the three wires you're describing. I can continue but at the risk of going off track, I think we need to be on the same page. If you can post a snapshot, please do.

Below is the only drawing showing where the ignition switch harness is disconnected. I'm having trouble finding connector drawings with pinouts to the ignition switch.
Thank you sir. I see your diagram. My key goes in the right side. Attached are the following wires in 2 shots. One up-close and the other not. I used an android and not my laptop. Hope the pics are sufficient.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20180921_105328-863x1125.jpg (121.7 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg 2-864x1536.jpg (162.9 KB, 7 views)

Last edited by L300Geek; 09-21-2018 at 02:21 PM.. Reason: forgot attachments

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-21-2018, 03:07 PM   #20
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, your android images are perfect for everyday online posting. I realize it can be a real pita to resize images but many aren't familiar with cellphones, tablets and digital cameras creating very large image file sizes, all due the demand for high resolution images.

I'm still lost trying to find better wiring diagrams and connector pinouts but somehow the manuals are lacking this info.

With ignition off, stick a pin or needle into one wire and measure for 12v. One should be hot (red with white stripe?) all the time while the other two should be zero. Turn on ignition and measure the remaining wires - one should show (switched) 12v. I'm guessing orange with black stripe is the one to use. Yellow should be the START signal/12v going to the starting circuit and only show 12v when the ignition switch is turned to START. Verify wiring and voltages before proceeding. If I'm wrong then you can use the switched hot wire(s) to one of the seat heaters as switched power to the Stinger.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!