SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #21
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
Default Re: Valve Body Mystery Connector Leak

Ok. Just wondered if they had filled with lower viscosity fluid. The Amsoil viscosity should not be a problem. Look at their tech sheets and compare to Dexron III/Mercon. I personally use the Mobil 1 multi-vehicle synthetic and have used Torque-Drive before.

I would "imagine" that if the fluid is in the buss/connector that the seal has to be the problem. That or the buss was somehow damaged. Doubtful. But only someone that could inspect it could be sure. It doesn't sound like the cover is an issue. Just my .02, nothing more. It's difficult to troubleshoot without a visual.

Special Forces will hopefully be of assistance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2018, 02:10 AM   #22
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1

The shop found the source of the leak: Fluid was leaking past the electrical connector pins on the conductor plate. I ended up buying a valve body from the dealership (which was an ACDelco part) and having the shop install it. I was refunded the difference of the valve body they installed.

So far so good. Shifts feel butter smooth. Hopefully this unit won't leak! If it does I'll try using some kind of high temperature super glue on the electrical connector surface.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cuetip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 10:40 AM   #23
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Thanks for reporting back -- glad they rectified issue; interesting source of problem, too bad an expensive 'fix'.
My '97 TAAT worked fine through 230kMi !

> 'Fluid was leaking past the electrical connector pins on the conductor plate.'
That seal may have been compromised by solvent used in rebuild--cleaning.
The cleaning is very important for a good rebuild.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2018, 08:08 PM   #24
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
> 'Fluid was leaking past the electrical connector pins on the conductor plate.'
That seal may have been compromised by solvent used in rebuild--cleaning.
The cleaning is very important for a good rebuild.
I don't think it has to do with the rebuild process, as my original VB leaked from there too and it was factory original. If I had to guess it's probably caused by the constant heating and cooling of the part. It is after all plastic. Maybe some conductor plates had a more resilient batch of resin for that piece. My transmission guy said this problem is quite common on newer vehicles because plastic is used.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2018, 10:26 PM   #25
cuetip

1997 SW1

It's been about a week and the dealership valve body is leaking through the electrical connector, just like all the other VBs. Transmission fluid is leaking past the pins on the connector. Some of them are even slightly loose, revealing a visible gap.

I tried using JB Weld High Temp RTV, but I ended up wasting a lot of time and making a mess as it's very hard to spread with precision in such a small space. I looked at some super glues and epoxies but I haven't found any products capable of withstanding high amounts of heat (yet).

Last edited by cuetip; 10-04-2018 at 10:41 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!