SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2018, 05:47 PM   #1
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1
Dizzy Valve Body Mystery Connector Leak

About a year ago I had a reputable transmission shop replace the valve body on my '97 SW1 because it started leaking from the electrical connector area. Ever since then it keeps leaking from there. My transmission shop has tried replacing the seal, using RTV around the seal, thread sealant in the connector bolt hole... I'm going to be taking my car back to them again next week because it's leaking again. Any idea what could be causing this? Is there anything else they can try?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cuetip's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cuetip is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-05-2018, 12:57 PM   #2
cuetip
cuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nicecuetip is just really nice

1997 SW1
Default Re: Valve Body Mystery Connector Leak

Anyone?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cuetip reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-05-2018, 03:11 PM   #3
jpsuli
jpsuli is on a distinguished road

1997 SL2

Hows the transmission fluid level? Where is it leaking from the connector?
Personally, I'd rip a connector off of an old saturn along with the Valve body metal cover. That connector on my car has been on and off numerous times without a leak

Tho, there are better members to answer this question

'97 Saturn SL2 @ 134k

Breakin' stuff as we go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jpsuli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jpsuli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jpsuli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 06:25 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Is the xmission vent plugged, preventing normal venting when oil heats up and cools down?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2018, 10:25 PM   #5
cuetip

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Is the xmission vent plugged, preventing normal venting when oil heats up and cools down?
Where would the vent be located and how can I check it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:54 AM   #6
fetchitfido
fetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant futurefetchitfido has a brilliant future

2001 SC2

The auto's don't have a vent.

Fluid level should be in the "ok" range, not to the top of the 'full'.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 11:12 AM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

That's interesting. I assumed the S-series autos have a xmission vent tube like I have on my L300 auto. If the S-series autos are sealed without a vent, this may explain why oil is 'venting' thru the electrical cover.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 12:20 PM   #8
cuetip

1997 SW1

Fluid level was always correct when the leak happened. It was bone dry up until a few years ago. Now it won't stop leaking. There has to be a reason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 01:42 PM   #9
Cheyne
Cheyne will become famous soon enoughCheyne will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2

You could try to replace the seal again:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-TAAT...gAAOSwNSxVP76f

If a new seal doesn't do it, then the cover may have been damaged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cheyne's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cheyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 02:23 PM   #10
cuetip

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
You could try to replace the seal again:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Saturn-TAAT...gAAOSwNSxVP76f

If a new seal doesn't do it, then the cover may have been damaged.
Thanks for the link! My mechanic said he replaced the seal. I've taken the cover off before when I tried replacing the seal before I took it to the shop. It didn't appear to be damaged. The underside was in immaculate condition. Could it have warped?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 02:28 PM   #11
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

Cuetip--

What type ATF are you running?

When i used the Valvoline Red (which Lower Viscosity than OEM), my connector weeped a little. OldNuc advises that thinner fluid runs hotter...

After switching to the Valvoline Blue (which very close to OEM viscosity), the shifts were cleaner (more pressure) and the weeping from the connector ceased.
I think the option of using another cover-with-connector from a wrecking yard is promising. I also think new connectors may be available from PartsGeek or RockAuto....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2018, 08:31 PM   #12
cuetip

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomM96 View Post
Cuetip--

What type ATF are you running?

When i used the Valvoline Red (which Lower Viscosity than OEM), my connector weeped a little. OldNuc advises that thinner fluid runs hotter...

After switching to the Valvoline Blue (which very close to OEM viscosity), the shifts were cleaner (more pressure) and the weeping from the connector ceased.
I think the option of using another cover-with-connector from a wrecking yard is promising. I also think new connectors may be available from PartsGeek or RockAuto....
Fascinating... I've been using Amsoil ATF for longer than I can remember: https://www.amsoil.com/shop/by-produ...mission-fluid/

Is this no good for our cars?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-06-2018, 09:00 PM   #13
Cheyne

2000 SL2

The Amsoil is fine. cSt 7.5 @ 100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cheyne reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-06-2018, 10:37 PM   #14
cuetip

1997 SW1

Hmm. What next? Are there any TSBs for this issue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-07-2018, 07:42 PM   #15
Cheyne

2000 SL2

Is the leak coming from inside the connector/buss plate or from between the cover and seal?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2018, 01:27 AM   #16
cuetip

1997 SW1

It's hard to tell. There's fluid in both areas. The foam seal around the connector is soaked in fluid. I wonder if the Amsoil ATF is to blame...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #17
Cheyne

2000 SL2

The problem is still most likely the seal linked above.

You could always PM Special Forces or call Ken Partin for another opinion and the part.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SATURN-SL1-...VRQ1A2&vxp=mtr

Last edited by Cheyne; 09-08-2018 at 09:50 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2018, 12:58 PM   #18
cuetip

1997 SW1

Thanks for the link but I'm at the mercy of the transmission shop's discretion for parts. I paid them $1000 to do it (they also did a flush and external filter change too) and it's still under warranty.

Come to think of it, the leak didn't start until after I started using Amsoil ATF. It wasn't immediate though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #19
Cheyne

2000 SL2

The shop filled with Amsoil also?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:37 PM   #20
cuetip

1997 SW1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheyne View Post
The shop filled with Amsoil also?
Yes. I supplied them with correct amount for the job they were doing.

I PMed special forces. We're discussing it now. Any input is still appreciated 🙂

REWARD EXCELLENCE!