SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #21
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2004 Vue - 2.2 Manual - Reduced Engine Power

Yes, Passlock relearn procedure is needed when replacing either ecm or bcm. Passlock is embedded in the bcm so ecm replacement needs to learn the bcm Passlock fuel password to allow the ecm to work. The 30 minute diy program is posted here in several threads. $30 is a bargain for a relatively inexpensive swap compared to original costs for a new one and paying GM to perform any needed updates to a module. According to service manuals, the ecm needs GMs scantool for the ECM to learn the crankshaft notch variation for misfire diagnostics. Additionally, the crankshaft relearn procedure is needed too and refers to CKP System Variation Learn Procedure. Since procedures are for new/blank ECMs and no mention of using used ones, let's see if your swap and Passlock relearn gets the engine to startup and run. If this goes well, drive. The rest may not be needed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2018, 02:37 PM   #22
internetpimp
internetpimp is on a distinguished road

Well the salvage yard that initially told me that they had an ECM out of a manual ended up being out of an automatic. Similar story with a few other salvage yards I hit up today. I might just sell this car soon instead of going through this headache of trying to find an ECM to match up(for a decent price anyway).

After doing a little more searching around on the net, I realized that something seemed a bit odd with my vehicle VIN number. My vin number is 5GZCZ3xxxxxxxxxxx. From looking online this vin number is for an automatic and 5GZCZ2xxxxxxxxxxx is for a manual.

I also recently found out from digging around under the steering column that the clutch/neutral safety switch is jumped out. For S&G I tried to start the car in neutral without the clutch and it started.

I'm not sure if this car was originally an automatic and they swapped transmissions, or if someone just swapped the ECM, or what, but I have no clue why they would bypass the clutch/neutral safety switch.

Anyhow, I will update if and when I ever resolute my issues, but that may be a little while since I'm currently unemployed and being a bit frugal with this situation right now.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to internetpimp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help internetpimp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
internetpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2018, 02:40 PM   #23
internetpimp
internetpimp is on a distinguished road

I figure this is a long shot to request this, but if anyone with a manual Saturn Vue provide the model numbers of their ECM?

There should be two different numbers for the ECM I believe, one above the bar code, and one below the bar code. I believe the top number should start with 125 or 126 maybe, and the bottom one(SERV NO.) should start with 122.

Again, I figure this is a long shot, but if anyone is currently working on their Vue and already have the ECM pulled out, I was hoping someone could possibly help me out.

The end goal is basically to make sure that I at least get a ECM that came out of a Vue with a manual trans. The last two places I went to said the ECM's that they had were out of a manual transmission Vue, but then vin numbers they showed me said otherwise.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help out!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to internetpimp's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help internetpimp reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
internetpimp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 01:34 PM   #24
Marlyn
Marlyn is on a distinguished road

I think the years are starting to add up - weak links are being exposed.
The thread at.. saturnfans forum 193925&page=4 (sorry - they wouldn't let me make a link)
was my savior.
So... same problem cropped up last week. Fortunately for me it manifested itself as I turned the key in the driveway on a Sunday - not on the freeway.
Short answer to your problem may very well be "brown wire". I am thinking there was a day in China when the machine making brown wire had the hiccups. My brown wire broke in the middle of nowhere special in the harness - well, that is, if 'the hardest place to get at' is nowhere special. ;-)
I have a lot of words - could tell a long story of replacing throttle body (got lucky - only cost $15) before getting a clue here - but I think I'll let my 'picture's with words' tell it. Agh! Another link to this forum they won't let me make ... You'll have to look for my album at "saturnfans dot com /photos/showgallery.php?cat=13771"
I'll put up one here now - the 'end of the story' picture... Oh, no I won't. It's in the form of another 'URL' I can't post :-(

Here's a little lesson I learned - if there is a break in a wire in a place that is really hard to get at - isolate it from the bundle at a 'nice spot' downstream and upstream - loosen the bundle as best you can so you can feel it tug on your 'other hand' as you pull on it (making sure it's really the same wire you're holding) and then PULL HARD! The insulation will stretch and the break will appear!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Marlyn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Marlyn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Marlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2018, 02:04 PM   #25
bern
Advanced Member
bern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nicebern is just really nice

2006 VUE 3.5L
2004 ION-2 Sedan

I have repaired several Vues with a reduce power light, When the cars were newer it was always high resistance in the APP sensor circuits, has the car got older it was likely to have a worn throttle body. Never have I fixed a reduced power light on by replacing the ECM.

You need to check for ECM DTCs with a real scan tool that will tell you all of the DTCs, not just the generic OBD2 DTCs.

IF the problem is in the APP sensor circuits I would start by looking at the C200 and the C102. Disconnect reconnect several times with dielectric grease added may help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bern's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bern reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bern is offline   Reply With Quote