SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-17-2018, 09:27 PM   #1
TheBigDozer
TheBigDozer is on a distinguished road

Dizzy 2002 Saturn SL Spring special Fuel issues?

I just got a 2002 Saturn SL Spring Special and it had been sitting for 2 years. Got it fired up and drove it around town just fine but when i went to go on the highway it died like it wasnt getting enough fuel. I checked the fuel filter and the pump and everything is fine. What might be causing my problem. Once it dies it will not even attempt to fire. Once i let it sit for a while it will then start right up with no problems but as soon as i try to go highway speeds it dies again to no avail. Thanks for any imput. Also i might note that it has a full tank of fresh fuel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TheBigDozer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TheBigDozer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TheBigDozer is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-17-2018, 09:56 PM   #2
toggenburg
Master Member
toggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to beholdtoggenburg is a splendid one to behold

Location: Beautiful Blue Ridge Mountains of Bedford, Virginia. Born once? Die twice. ------ Born twice? Die once.

2001 SL1
Default Re: 2002 Saturn SL Spring special Fuel issues?

Welcome to the Forum.
Spring Special? Wasn't that the Blue paint model for like $9-10K?

Anyway, how did you verify the fuel pump AND filter were working correctly?

Did you just depress the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and it spurted strongly, or did you use a pressure tester?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to toggenburg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help toggenburg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
toggenburg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2018, 10:06 PM   #3
billr
Master Member
billr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of lightbillr is a glorious beacon of light

And, use a fuel pressure gauge with a hose long enough that you can watch FP while driving and the engine is having problems. Use live-data to check most all else. Pay particular attention to the engine rpm, either on the tach or in live-data. If rpm is getting erratic, then the CKP sensor is a likely suspect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billr's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billr reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 12:24 AM   #4
TheBigDozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

Anyway, how did you verify the fuel pump AND filter were working correctly?

Did you just depress the Schrader valve on the fuel rail and it spurted strongly, or did you use a pressure tester?
I disconnected the fuel line post fuel filter and turned the key on and had great flow but just to be sure i replaced the fuel filter and still have the same problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help TheBigDozer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 AM   #5
TheBigDozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by billr View Post
And, use a fuel pressure gauge with a hose long enough that you can watch FP while driving and the engine is having problems. Use live-data to check most all else. Pay particular attention to the engine rpm, either on the tach or in live-data. If rpm is getting erratic, then the CKP sensor is a likely suspect.
I do not have the capability to check fuel pressure or any live data. What is the CKP sensor you are talking about and what does it do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-18-2018, 07:21 AM   #6
trottida
Master Member
trottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to beholdtrottida is a splendid one to behold

Location: North of North of Toronto, Northern Ontario, Canada

1999 SL2
2001 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by toggenburg View Post
Welcome to the Forum.

Yes, 2002 SL1 with silver blue metallic paint. It's a pretty basic car and I think you're right; the special was based on price point. If you do a CarFax on the VIN it comes up in the description so it is a marketing package with an RPO code I assume.

2001 SL1 MT (417,500 km @ 05/2018)
1999 SL2 MT (260,870 km @ 05/2018)
2011 Suburban LT (111,176 km @ 05/2018)

Past Saturns
1993 SW2 AT
2001 LW200 MT
1992 SL2 MT

:canada:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to trottida's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help trottida reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
trottida is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 10:32 AM   #7
alordofchaos
alordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud ofalordofchaos has much to be proud of

2002 SC2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBigDozer View Post
I disconnected the fuel line post fuel filter and turned the key on and had great flow but just to be sure i replaced the fuel filter and still have the same problem.
What did you replace the filter with (manufacturer and part #)? Most aftermarket filters are known to provide the wrong fuel pressure (the pressure regulator is integrated with the filter). Hopefully you got a Wix (or rebranded Wix)

Quote:
What is the CKP sensor you are talking about and what does it do?
crankshaft position sensor. held on by 1 x 10mm bolt (IIRC) at the back of the engine.

link explains how to replace and what it does, also has video links
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69687

typical failure is no spark (or injector operation) when hot, works fine when it cools down

Congrats on the new car, welcome to Saturnfans which is probably the best resource for a new S series owner, and take a moment to learn about your new car by reading the sticky thread -pay close attention to your oil levels

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177672

I'm not worthy to grovel in the shadow of Signmaster's wisdom

11/2016 red 2002 5 spd SC2 124k DD
7/2010 Craigslist white 1997 SC2 project
12/2008 eBay silver 1998 SL2 5 spd 102k, now 201k+ miles

Last edited by alordofchaos; 05-18-2018 at 10:38 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 11:40 AM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Welcome to SaturnFans, TheBigDozer! It's a great resource for Saturn onwers.
Quote:
I just got a 2002 Saturn SL Spring Special and it had been sitting for 2 years.
If indeed the car has "been sitting for 2 years" then there's a high probability that some amount of varnish build up exists within the fuel delivery system. The caveat to that would be if the owner had maintained the system with a fuel stabilizer. Do you know if that was done? Gasoline goes bad when a vehicle is left without being driven over an extended period of time.

Once the your driveability issue is corrected, it seems to me that you should consider having the most complete form of fuel system cleaning performed.

293,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 07:10 PM   #9
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

I'm going to second the diagnosis by chaos, about the crankshaft position sensor.

You have replaced the fuel filter, which will include a new pressure regulator.

Other areas that could be suspect are the Ignition control module and coil packs, but when these go out, the car will start throwing misfire codes or won't start at all.

The fuel pump could be suspect, because it is heating up and shutting down.

www.car-part.com can be used to source parts at a slavage yard as well.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2018, 10:00 PM   #10
TomM96
TomM96 will become famous soon enoughTomM96 will become famous soon enough

ckp diagnosis was by BillR...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TomM96's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TomM96 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TomM96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:51 PM   #11
TheBigDozer

[QUOTE=alordofchaos;2273425]What did you replace the filter with (manufacturer and part #)? Most aftermarket filters are known to provide the wrong fuel pressure (the pressure regulator is integrated with the filter). Hopefully you got a Wix (or rebranded Wix)

crankshaft position sensor. held on by 1 x 10mm bolt (IIRC) at the back of the engine.

typical failure is no spark (or injector operation) when hot, works fine when it cools down

Congrats on the new car, welcome to Saturnfans which is probably the best resource for a new S series owner, and take a moment to learn about your new car by reading the sticky thread -pay close attention to .

I replaced the fuel filter with one I got from O Reillys and I'll try that crank sensor and see if that does the trick. I'll keep everyone informed on Wednesday when I am able to work on it again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2018, 10:04 AM   #12
TheBigDozer

Dizzy Re: 2002 Saturn SL Spring special Fuel issues?

New trouble shooting information! I started it up let it idle for a while and after about 15 to 20 minuets of random revving it decided to die but I noticed this time the battery light started blinking and it acted as though it lost all spark. Any ideas are very appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2018, 12:29 PM   #13
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

Spark = Have you checked or replaced the spark plugs?
Spark = How old is the battery?
Spark = Is the alternator functioning correctly?
Fuel = Is the gas in the tank 2 years old or new? Gas goes stale if not treated.
Fuel = How old is the Fuel Filter (Fuel Pump as its integral)
Air = What is the condition of the Air Filter?
Air = What is the condition of the Throttle Valve? Is it clean and the butterfly moving freely?

You probably don't need me to tell you the car needs all of the above 3 elements to start and run. You mentioned the battery light was blinking. That would tell me to check the condition of the battery. After standing for 2 years, there are lots of things that will not function first time round again, least of all the gas in the tank.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 12:34 PM   #14
TheBigDozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridasl22002 View Post
Spark = Have you checked or replaced the spark plugs?
Spark = How old is the battery?
Spark = Is the alternator functioning correctly?
Fuel = Is the gas in the tank 2 years old or new? Gas goes stale if not treated.
Fuel = How old is the Fuel Filter (Fuel Pump as its integral)
Air = What is the condition of the Air Filter?
Air = What is the condition of the Throttle Valve? Is it clean and the butterfly moving freely?

You probably don't need me to tell you the car needs all of the above 3 elements to start and run. You mentioned the battery light was blinking. That would tell me to check the condition of the battery. After standing for 2 years, there are lots of things that will not function first time round again, least of all the gas in the tank.
Brand new battery brand new fuel filter butterfly is all clear and functioning new plugs and wires checked could and they are good as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-23-2018, 12:42 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
New trouble shooting information! I started it up let it idle for a while and after about 15 to 20 minuets of random revving it decided to die but I noticed this time the battery light started blinking and it acted as though it lost all spark. Any ideas are very appreciated.
The battery light turning on while idling may be the biggest clue yet. It means something is wrong with main power; battery, battery cables, their connections, alternator and drive belt system. The battery light turning on while the engine's running means the electrical system is not around 14.5 volts. Lose electrical power and the car will do strange things like quitting at random.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2018, 03:36 PM   #16
sedativechunk
sedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura aboutsedativechunk has a spectacular aura about

I reckon this is one of the following problems:

1) Car is choking up; I recommend a complete oil change, new air filter, and adding lucas oil fuel injector cleaner with some fresh gasoline. Had a similar problem with an 04 Chevy Impala getting carbon buildup. A simple oil change and adding lucas oil can go a long way. The cars been sitting a while. Not enough to cause any serious issues, but long enough to cause problems like what you are having now.

2) Battery, as you stated the lights were coming on. Take the battery, or preferrably the whole car, to somewhere like Adavance. Have them do a battery and starter test on it, it's free. Make sure all the battery cables are nice and tight.

2) Last but not least; sounds to me like a bad fuel pump if the above doesn't fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sedativechunk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sedativechunk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sedativechunk is offline   Reply With Quote