SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-16-2018, 05:08 PM   #1
ri9ch
ri9ch is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon
Default 2001 LW300 keeps stalling - please help!

Hi Everyone,

Iím new to the forum, but have done numerous searches and have found a lot of helpful information, but am at a loss. Iím wondering if anyone can help me out. I have a 2001 LW300 (59k miles) that intermittently stalls. Itís been happening for a couple of years now, but started getting worse about 6 months ago.

The car will be fine for a couple of days and then out of nowhere, the revs will bounce and then the car will stall. Sometimes it will just stall out of nowhere at a red light or going 60mph on the freeway. Sometimes, it just wonít start at all. I just let the car sit for 3 weeks, took it for a drive today and although it didnít stall, the revs would start bouncing.

Iíve replaced the ECM, throttle body, TPSensors and wiring harness, MAF, intake boot, crankshaft & camshaft sensors, coolant level and temperature sensors, various relays and fuses, air filter, and spark plugs. I had all of the wiring tested and everything tests out fine.

Iíve run the codes sever times over the past couple of months and got the following:
P0121 - throttle pedal position sensor / switch ďAĒ circuit
P0221 - throttle position sensor / switch ďBĒ circuit
P0606 - control module processor
P1516 - command vs actual throttle position correlation (TAC module)
P1523 - throttle actuator control
P1779 - engine torque delivered to TCM signal
P1780 - MIL requested by TCM
P1791 - TCM loop error

I donít get all of the codes every time. Itís usually just P0221 and maybe one or two other codes. A few times, Iíve have up to 5 different codes.

My mechanic has taken the car for multiple days on numerous occasions and cannot figure out what is going on. Iíd appreciate any suggestions anyone may have. Thank you in advance!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ri9ch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ri9ch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ri9ch is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-16-2018, 06:45 PM   #2
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 2001 LW300 keeps stalling - please help!

How old is the battery? And considering your replaced so many parts any chance to narrow where the problem is starting will be hard to know now. I was thinking it was also a BCM but that would involve electrical issues. Has this Saturn had any kinda wiring issues before?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 07:20 PM   #3
ri9ch

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russet View Post
How old is the battery? And considering your replaced so many parts any chance to narrow where the problem is starting will be hard to know now. I was thinking it was also a BCM but that would involve electrical issues. Has this Saturn had any kinda wiring issues before?
Thanks for the quick reply @Russett. Battery is only a couple of years old, and hold a solid charge. Great thought though. It's worth replacing and see if it makes a difference.

As for the parts replacements, I did one at a time starting with cleaning the throttle body. It ran great for a few weeks and then started with the stalling again. Then replaced the TB & wiring harness. Again, good for a week and then went back to old behaviors. Next up was the MAF and boot... same thing. Then the ECM... Then the sensors, etc. I tried to narrow it down along the way, but same thing happened every time.

The car has never had any electrical or wiring issues. Everything else on the car works perfectly.

I'm open to any additional advice you may have for me. Thanks again, Russett.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ri9ch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-16-2018, 09:12 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You seem to habe covered all the bases yet the problem hasn't gone away. Even replacing throttle body and wiring. A service bulletin deals with several error codes; (MIL) Service Engine Soon Telltale Lamp On, Reduced Power Lamp May Illuminate with DTCs P0121, P0221 and/or P2135 (Replace Throttle Body, Throttle Body Connector, Throttle Body Terminals and Install #03-06-04-043 - (Sep 11, 2003). If you want the file, pm me an email address with your car stats. Another bulletin addresses a possible fuel supply hose within the fuel tank pump unit; Engine Starts and Then Stalls, Engine Cranks But Will Not Start, or Engine Hesitation Under Heavy Acceleration #00-T-63 - (Jan 7, 2003). This one requires dropping the tank and replacing the fuel pump module......

My guess is the battery isn't an issue but to be sure the main power system isn't flaky and contributing too this intermittent problem, have the battery and alternator tested by AutoZone or other chain stores providing free battery and alternator checks. You have to ensure the drive belt is tight and not flopping while engine idles. Pressing down on the belt worth engine off should not allow any deflection as the spring loaded belt tensioner putsa lot of tension on one belt driving water pump, alternator, power steering pump and ac compressor.

While you have very low millage, there may be an outside chance of one to three catalytic converters falling apart internally, intermittently blocking exhaust flow, choking off exhaust flow and killing the engine. One home method to determine blocked catcons is to remove the upstream exhaust manifold mounted O2 sensors to provide an alternate exhaust path. You may need to make soup can diverters to point hot exhaust away from nearby plastic or aluminum (melting potential). The engine will be loud but a brief drive around the block may reveal something. Each bank of cylinders has a precat worth one main one downstream of these two. Any one can disintegrate internally and block exhaust flow. Moisture retained from keeping the car parked for long periods of time then running local errands may not allow these catcons to heat up and boil out moisture. A weekly drive lasting 20 minutes or more may help. Banging each catcon and listening for marbles is a giveaway indication of the solid ceramic like substrate falling apart. Catcons are porous bricks allowing high speed exhaust flow while converting exhaust byproducts to harmless water, oxides of nitrogen and CO2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2018, 09:41 PM   #5
ri9ch

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Thank you fdryer. I'll PM you my info. I'd definitely like to check out the bulletins.

I'm really curious about second one you listed, #00-T-63, because looking through my old paperwork (2010) , I found a note from a mechanic on an invoice stating "Please don't run vehicle below 1/4 full tank of fuel to keep fuel pump cool". I wonder if theres any correlation between this and the supply hose. Hmm.

I'll get the battery and alternator tested and see how they're looking.

In the meantime, I'll take a look at the cats and see if I can get any rattle out of 'em.

Talk soon.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!