SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-23-2017, 10:32 PM   #1
sirlarkspur
sirlarkspur has a spectacular aura aboutsirlarkspur has a spectacular aura aboutsirlarkspur has a spectacular aura about

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default why in living hell are saturns so cheap

they are great reliable cars but why is their almost value down to zero in car terms will this ever change i know being cheap has it perks but also its downfalls for example a lack of respect by a majority of their owners for example trashed out interiors and most people think just because its worth next to nothing you shouldn't take care of it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sirlarkspur's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sirlarkspur reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sirlarkspur is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-23-2017, 11:42 PM   #2
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: why in living hell are saturns so cheap

I enjoy driving a car that is more valuable to me than the general public. I am picking up a 2000 l300 with a bad transmission and and a ratty interior for $100. I donít need either of the bad parts so I get value out of what I need which is body parts. I should be able to drive this car for many years for almost zero dollars.
If you are looking to make money on used cars buy a Honda or a Toyota.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car, now if I can only quit hitting deer. I have hit two this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:08 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Saturns aren't the only cars trashed.......
Attached Images
File Type: jpg boihpn8rlrkxeusiuzrf.jpg (30.8 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg carros-imundos-16.jpg (50.6 KB, 12 views)
File Type: jpg image.jpg (125.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg image1420.jpg (56.1 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg messy-car-400x300-300x225.jpg (23.4 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg messy-van.jpg (180.3 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Most disgusting car interiors ever (11).jpg (93.8 KB, 6 views)
File Type: jpg multitasking-on-the-way-to-work-23054.jpg (65.4 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg ron-cleaning-car-interoir-trash-in-clearwater.jpg (151.5 KB, 14 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 03:40 PM   #4
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirlarkspur View Post
they are great reliable cars, but why is their value almost down to zero in car terms? will this ever change? i know being cheap has it perks, but also its downfalls. for example, a lack of respect by a majority of their owners who have trashed out their car's interiors, and most people think just because its worth next to nothing you shouldn't take care of it. (Puntcuation and sentence adjustments mine - pierrot)
sirlarkspur, you swerved into answering your original question without realizing it. It's about the owners and their mindsets, it's not about the cars. Each car I've owned has been taken care of by me as well as I could possibly do so regardless of its age. The two cars I've owned previously were a '65 Dodge Dart Convertible, 225 CID six cylinder engine (for about nine years), and an '84 Dodge 600, 2.6L "Jet Valve" Mitsubishi four cyl engine (for fourteen plus years).

Now my Saturn will be eighteen years old in April and it still looks good. Granted, with this age it's been given its share of scrapes and scratches in the parking lots, or from debris flying at it on the streets or freeways - what I like to call "battle scars" - but that's just a downside of ownership with any car. I've never wanted to be found in a car that was beaten up as my daily driver.

With regard to an L-Series cars' value as a used vehicle, it won't begin to rise - if it ever will - until it hits the 25 year mark which is when it begins to be viewed as a possible "classic." If the value does go up, it will take many more years before it will reach something near its original sale price. In short, I'm in agreement with 02 LW300 and fdryer: I don't care what others may think of my car's value and one can find lots of other cars which have been trashed out by owners who were slobs.

290,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 10:28 AM   #5
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 SL2

They say you can take people out of the ghetto, but you can't take the ghetto out of people. That's why some cars look pristine and others look like toilets. It's all about people.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:05 PM   #6
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

I love the car and wish I had another Vue... but GM hasn't changed much over the years when it comes to their small engines. They just do not hold up well compared to their counterparts. With any of these cars, you might go 100K without too many problems, but much over 120 to 150 K miles and you are looking at major repair expenses, including up to and including the cost of a new engine. No vehicle at that point is worth enough to spend that much money on. That is why the re-sale is so low.

Many will say it is lack of maintenance, but that is just not true.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 03:36 PM   #7
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I have a question for you, hoosierrun, and I ask it without any other purpose than to seek your opinion - nothing more. It is not meant to be argumentative: why would it be that my engine has continued without trouble to date - all internal engine parts and timing components are factory originals - at over 277K miles?

Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-25-2017, 03:58 PM   #8
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

I can appreciate your comment. An engine will go many miles if most of the driving is highway. Could that be the contributing factor?

Years ago I was a GM guy (all V8 engines). They were awesome. I started having problems when they went to newer OHC and aluminum heads. I got very frustrated. I figured by the mid 2000's they would improved because of overseas competition. I really don't think they got much better. In 2009 I passed up buying an Equinox and instead bought a Toyota RAV4. The RAV is light years ahead of the Equinox (same engine as Saturn)

I suppose it could be I just had bad luck. On the other hand, I had a 98 Chrysler mini-van with over 350,000 miles on it (2.4 -4 cylinder) and it was still running great (body looked like crap). I generally have no biases toward any car manufacturer (foreign or domestic owned)... but I like to have a vehicle that does not eat me up for repair costs.

It is my belief that poor reliability (based on the reports I hear.. and my own experience) for cars with higher mileage are what contributes to poor re-sale value.

It is always good to hear that people are getting relatively trouble free high mileage on Their Saturns. I may still try again some day.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2017, 05:31 PM   #9
02 LW300
02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about02 LW300 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Pierrot your engine has lasted so long because you care. Most people are completely ignorant about their cars and the required maintenance. If you have changed your oil and filter when it starts to get dirty your engine probably shows no wear inside. On the other hand most people skip oil changes or never change their oil and trade off their cars every few years.
We as the used car consumers get to know the problems caused by lack of maintenance. I purchased a clean 2002 L200 with a broken timing chain and the consequential damage at 133k miles for $300. I put about $700 in parts plus my labor into this car and drove it for a year. I put fresh brakes and tires on it and gifted this car to one of my grandchildren. This car will run many years for him and it will remain trouble free.

2002 L200/5 loaded, loving my stick shift car, now if I can only quit hitting deer. I have hit two this year.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 02 LW300's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 02 LW300 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
02 LW300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2017, 02:45 AM   #10
pierrot
Master Member

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
......An engine will go many miles if most of the driving is highway. Could that be the contributing factor?
Yes, it could be as the largest part of my driving is on the highway. It must also be pointed out that another significant percentage of that driving is in "slow 'n go" traffic as well. I agree with you that driving highway miles - and hours - are not as hard on an engine as regular street driving with occasional highway miles. If the same hours were all on street driving then perhaps my maintenance situation would be different (mileage would certainly be lower).

Quote:
......I like to have a vehicle that does not eat me up for repair costs.
I could not agree with you more!

Quote:
It is my belief that poor reliability (based on the reports I hear.. and my own experience) for cars with higher mileage are what contributes to poor re-sale value.
True. You are correct and thank you for reminding me of that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02 LW300 View Post
Pierrot your engine has lasted so long because you care.
I would like to think that this is the case.

Quote:
Most people are completely ignorant about their cars and the required maintenance. If you have changed your oil and filter when it starts to get dirty your engine probably shows no wear inside.
I decided shortly after purchasing this car that I would follow the maintenance schedule provided with the car. Therefore my oil changes were supposed to remain at the 3K mile interval based on my driving conditions and weather. Candidly, I will let the changes go a little longer in the colder months, but only by another 500 miles. There was one occasion earlier this year when I totally skipped an oil change and discovered that I had gone over 6K miles without one! Yikes!! Additionally, the OLM light never came on during that time to alert me of a need to change the engine oil!!!

I have never been a believer in waiting for that system to tell me when to change the oil. Frankly, I felt stupid for missing that oil change. I'd misplaced my paperwork by which I would check to see when the service was due. This information is kept in the car for easy reference. (Not all records are there, only about two and a half years worth of them.) Fortunately, the engine still performs well, so I have no complaints against it.

Quote:
On the other hand most people skip oil changes or never change their oil and trade off their cars every few years.
It's my belief that, in general, most of the engine failures for the ECOTEC 2.2L engines are due to delayed normal maintenance. Now, this is not to say that even engines which are maintained according to factory recommendations will not experience a relatively early failure. I think that there may have been too many people relying on "best case scenario" information to inform them as to when an oil change should occur, and thus prolonging the oil change interval to a point where viscosity breakdown was already occuring in the engine.

Disclaimer: I could be wrong!

Last edited by pierrot; 12-26-2017 at 02:51 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2018, 02:01 AM   #11
bromli
bromli is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I think it comes down to Saturn being a bit of a footnote in terms of brand name. Saturn was good during the 90s and early 00s, then GM and union messups caused the product and the brand to suffer. Then, when they went under in 07 for many it was good riddance. Another thing to consider is that there are other brands making cheap cars. Brands like Toyota and Nissan churned out good cars that went 250k easy. Of course, those brands can carry a bit of a badge tax, but it comes down to choosing japanese over the weird GM cross platform mishmash that was Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bromli's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bromli reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bromli is offline   Reply With Quote