SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-10-2017, 01:09 PM   #1
geekific
geekific is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 V6 3.0L; Oil leaking; What's this called?

I have a 2003 Vue with a v6 3.0L and LS81 engine. There's an apparent oil leak. What I'm trying to find out is, what are the two lines in the picture called? It's leaking down them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1512929283480.jpg (214.4 KB, 35 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geekific's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geekific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geekific is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-2017, 02:12 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 2003 V6 3.0L; Oil leaking; What's this called?

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekific View Post
I have a 2003 Vue with a v6 3.0L and LS81 engine. There's an apparent oil leak. What I'm trying to find out is, what are the two lines in the picture called? It's leaking down them.
Those lines carry tranny fluid to and from the tranny fluid cooler. Looks like an ATF leak - not oil.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 02:55 PM   #3
geekific

Okay thank you. Would you call those Transmission cooler lines? Do you know a part# by chance?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help geekific reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2017, 06:55 PM   #4
geekific

This is the only other picture I have.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1512950007441.jpg (213.0 KB, 24 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2017, 07:42 PM   #5
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Those 2 clamps suggest it was leaking once before and someone rigged up a patch to get it by.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2017, 07:58 PM   #6
geekific

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoosierrun View Post
Those 2 clamps suggest it was leaking once before and someone rigged up a patch to get it by.
Sadly, it was like that before I took ownership. Just trying to figure out the exact part name, part number, and then hopefully find a place that carries the part to replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2017, 09:42 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to beholdChazberry is a splendid one to behold

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekific View Post
Just trying to figure out the exact part name, part number, and then hopefully find a place that carries the part to replace it.
It's called COOLER PIPE - GM 22686174
Seems to be discontinued. Best bet is a JY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 03:31 PM   #8
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Maybe find a place that makes/repairs hydraulic hoses. Take a picture and take it too a shop to see what they say. I have had to have AC hoses rebuilt that look like that.

Keep in mind that there is a lot of equipment out there that uses hydraulic lines. Equipment like farm tractors, backhoes, hydraulic lifts, utility equipment, etc. There are shops that specialize in repairing those lines and they have crimps and hose. It would be worth investigating if no JY piece is available. Start with your NAPA store and see if they know somebody.

You might have luck at a junk yard as mentioned.

Worst case, try to fix it yourself using transmission fluid hose from the auto store and clamps. Use better ones than the previous owner and snug them up once in a while.

Good luck.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 09:03 AM   #9
geekific

Thank you greatly. I ended up calling a semi-local (30min away) junk yard and they had one. Now I know they have parts, that will come in handy. I stopped by Oreilly's on my way home and picked up some new O-rings for it. Going to get that part put on this morning and go from there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 09:31 AM   #10
atikovi
Advanced Member
atikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really niceatikovi is just really nice

Buying old rubber parts from a junkyard is a crapshoot. It's often in worse shape then your existing part. Looks like its a combination of steel tube and rubber hose. I'd just cut off the hose at the steel leaving a nipple, and clamp in some hydraulic hose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to atikovi's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help atikovi reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
atikovi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 11:01 AM   #11
geekific

Thank you for letting me know. Although I already know that parts from a junk yard can be in worse shape. If need be, I will take what hoosierrun and you have said and make something happen. Any suggestion is greatly appreciated. 😊

Last edited by geekific; 12-13-2017 at 11:08 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-13-2017, 01:29 PM   #12
Cavell
Cavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the roughCavell is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 3.5L
2003 VUE 3.0L

but, the junkyard part might NOT leak. there are 2 L81 vues at my local yard. both motors are untouched. my former vue had a melted a/c hose on front of motor. its about 1" from O2 sensor. or is supposed to be. got one from the bonyard and it worked fine. good time to drain your trans. you will be inches from drain plug. get 4.5 qts of toyo T-IV fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cavell's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cavell reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cavell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 04:08 PM   #13
waiter21
Advanced Member
waiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to allwaiter21 is a name known to all

2003 VUE 2.2L

These shouldn't have any pressure in them.. Normally the cooler is the last stop before fluid gets dropped back into the pan. so the only pressure (if nothing is plugged) would be the small resistance the fluid would face by the cooler.

If the hoses are leaking, I suspect you could replace the hose with any good quality fuel line hose. Also, remove those crappy clamps and buy some good quality "Fuel Injection Hose Clamps".

2003 Vue - 2.2L with Manual Trans. (Swapped)
Originally had 2.2L and Auto trans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to waiter21's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help waiter21 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2017, 11:00 AM   #14
JefferyC
JefferyC is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by waiter21 View Post
These shouldn't have any pressure in them.. Normally the cooler is the last stop before fluid gets dropped back into the pan. so the only pressure (if nothing is plugged) would be the small resistance the fluid would face by the cooler.

If the hoses are leaking, I suspect you could replace the hose with any good quality fuel line hose. Also, remove those crappy clamps and buy some good quality "Fuel Injection Hose Clamps".
Do what you have to do. Then afterwards, with old ones in hand, locate local hydraulic repair shop and have them make new ones. Not a fan of used parts personally.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JefferyC's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JefferyC reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JefferyC is offline   Reply With Quote