SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-14-2017, 02:04 PM   #1
Deliverydriver
Deliverydriver is on a distinguished road

Default Timing marks not lined up. Help!

Doing the timing on my 93' SL2. Don't know history of car.
I am trying to line up the timing marks before I take the chain off, but something seems wrong. Is the sprocket in the picture flipped? I have not taken the chain off yet. In the current crank position cylinder 1 is not in tdc I stuck something down plug holes to find out. I think number 3 is at tdc at current crank position. Any help would be appreciated.
http://imgur.com/OnvKsz3

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t
1993 SL2(bought 11/2015) odometer stopped at 62k, unknown mileage.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Deliverydriver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Deliverydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Deliverydriver is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2017, 02:30 PM   #2
Deliverydriver

Default Re: Timing marks not lined up. Help!

update. I didn't mean to say the sprocket flipped, but it looks like the timing marks don't line up with the chain. I don't see how this could have happened without destroying the engine. Could this have come from the factory this way? Doesn't look like TC was ever replaced.

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Deliverydriver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-14-2017, 04:16 PM   #3
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Try rotating the crank a turn or two (or more if necessary) to see if the marks come up in a different position with each revolution. A different number of teeth due to differences in size between the crank and cam sprockets will make the marks not line up every time the crank goes around; but only only one time in a certain number of revolutions.

Just to be certain we are on the same page, I assume that you are expecting the plated (or colored) chain link to land on the mark for the cams and crank.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:38 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond reputeOldNuc has a reputation beyond repute

1998 SC2

It require about 126 complete revolutions to get them lined up, just count the plates between the pip marks on top. Then bring the crank to the point the keyway is at 1200 with pip marks UP and only turn this clockwise or the tensioner will jam in position, broke. Then check the 2 top sprockets position. FORGET THE MARKED PLATES!

There are 9 plates between the cam sprockets INCLUDING the 2 plates over the pip marks.

Close is as good as well used gets.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ming/cat/12963 <--Looks like this

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 04:44 PM   #5
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of lightRobertGary1 is a glorious beacon of light

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverydriver View Post
update. I didn't mean to say the sprocket flipped, but it looks like the timing marks don't line up with the chain. I don't see how this could have happened without destroying the engine. Could this have come from the factory this way? Doesn't look like TC was ever replaced.

Totally normal. Just make sure the alignment marks on the crank sprocket align as well as the marks on the cam sprockets. The marks on the chain just make it easier to install the chain without accidently having slack in it. You'd have to turn the engine over hundreds of times before the chain marks align again. Some chains don't even bother to include these marks.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 07:40 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Good number of years since I have done one of these timing chains but if I recall correctly the keyway should be at 12 o'clock not six o'clock.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2017, 09:52 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

And to help with timing a DOHC; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84881. Searching past threads can turn up valuable info long forgotten as many move on. The info is readily available with some patience and searching within these forums.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 12:16 AM   #8
Deliverydriver

Dizzy Re: Timing marks not lined up. Help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
It require about 126 complete revolutions to get them lined up, just count the plates between the pip marks on top. Then bring the crank to the point the keyway is at 1200 with pip marks UP and only turn this clockwise or the tensioner will jam in position, broke. Then check the 2 top sprockets position. FORGET THE MARKED PLATES!

There are 9 plates between the cam sprockets INCLUDING the 2 plates over the pip marks.

Close is as good as well used gets.

http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...ming/cat/12963 <--Looks like this
How can the tensioner get broken? I am a bit lost. Why would you want to turn the crank counterclockwise with the chain on? Aren't you supposed to turn 90 degrees past tdc, remove chain, rotate the and pin cam sprockets in place, rotate crank back to align marks to tdc, then attach chain guides and tensioner, etc.
So I an a bit lost where during this process one would be tempted to rotate the engine with timing chain and tensioner counter clockwise.... is there something I am missing here?

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2017, 12:23 AM   #9
Deliverydriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
And to help with timing a DOHC; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=84881. Searching past threads can turn up valuable info long forgotten as many move on. The info is readily available with some patience and searching within these forums.
The search function leaves a lot to be desired
I thought I read most every good thread about doing the timing . . .

2005 Saab 9-3 2.0t

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-15-2017, 01:52 AM   #10
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You're not alone about this site's less than friendly search feature. Blame it on a multibillion dollar search engine (Google) that spoils anyone (me included). Saturnfans, I think, doesn't have talented mega people like Google did in its early years on its way to establishing unparallelled success as a top tier search engine. With no ill will against Saturnfans, its search feature is a large step (more like fall) down compared to Google. My guess is it would take the billion dollar talents of thousands of Google caliber people to arrange a search feature suitable for this place. In other words, it ain't gonna happen so some imagination outside the box is needed to find the info buried around here. I found the link by hopscotching on the suggested tabs on the bottom of this page. No rocket science, just some imagination to look in the past as one clue with timing, model, and year to fine tune manual searches. I'm sure there are more threads like the one I found but this one I posted seems to fit your predicament.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 05:15 AM   #11
Saturn Night
Master Member
Saturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the roughSaturn Night is a jewel in the rough

1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deliverydriver View Post
How can the tensioner get broken? I am a bit lost. Why would you want to turn the crank counterclockwise with the chain on? Aren't you supposed to turn 90 degrees past tdc, remove chain, rotate the and pin cam sprockets in place, rotate crank back to align marks to tdc, then attach chain guides and tensioner, etc.
So I an a bit lost where during this process one would be tempted to rotate the engine with timing chain and tensioner counter clockwise.... is there something I am missing here?
Saturns burn oil. Running the engine, with oil levels NEAR or BELOW the "ADD" line will prematurely wear out the timing chain tensioner. Ideally, you want to keep your oil level just above the "Full" mark, typically to about the first "L"(about 6-8 ounces above 4.0qts), to accommodate the oil absorbed by your oil filter.

And no, you don't want to turn the engine counter-clockwise(unless you are trying to simulate the 2.2L Scrap-O-Tech Ion engine in its normal, clockwise turning at idle.....)

Ideally, you should only be turning the crankshaft clockwise, to prevent scoring the main bearings. And you can turn the crankshaft as many revolutions as you need to, to line up the crankshaft timing mark. The same with the camshaft. Install them, spin them clockwise(once again, wear patterns and scoring) to line up your timing marks.

Then install your sprockets and chain assembly.

"What does a Saturn owner do, at the gas station?"

"He checks the gas, and fills the oil....."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn Night's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn Night reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn Night is offline   Reply With Quote