SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-15-2008, 10:43 PM   #1
lh442
lh442 is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Question Need some advice on replacing drive axle

Hi, I have a 2002 Saturn L300. Been reading all the tips you guys have supplied to get maintainance tips to keep it going. We have 106,700 miles now and as you know parts are needing replacement. Put strut arm link kit on both sides today to cure noise and vibration as suggested from this site. It sure quited down the noise and helped ride. Used Moog problem solver kit K5345. During repair checked for loose front end parts, I found the right passenger side drive axle Half shaft) to be real loose and wobbly on trans side of axle. Now I guess replacing this is necessary now. Anybody pulled the axle shaft and replaced? Got any tips for best way to pull off and repair?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lh442's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lh442 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lh442 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-18-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
lh442

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Need some advice on replacing drive axle

I guess either nobody has had to replace their half shaft drive axles or that there is nothing to it! I bought a Master Pro( A-1 Cardone) Remafg drive shaft complete from O'reilly's auto parts for $59 + $75 core. Doing the job this weekend . I'll let you know what there is to it. Haynes manual has info, but it would have been nice to have heard from some one on this site if short cuts to make it easier job were available.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lh442 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-19-2008, 10:10 AM   #3
s3nfo
s3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the roughs3nfo is a jewel in the rough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

Half shafts on the L are usually not a problem, yours is the first I've seen. Be interested to know what the ends looked like after you take them out.

Jerry N

"Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies."

Groucho Marx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to s3nfo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help s3nfo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
s3nfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 06:25 PM   #4
lh442

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hi all,
Well today replaced my right side drive half shaft with the A-1 Cardone rebuilt. Not a major challenge, but a struggle to get the lower ball joint to seperate. took a big pry bar to get it down. Drive axle came out and as Haynes manual said would happen, pulled the shaft out of trans housing. Took shop towel, wrapped around shaft and hit drive axle can with a soft headed hammer, quick blow knocked it off c clip from shaft. put it back into trans and then pushed axle up onto splines. The inner cv joint was wobbly inside the can housing. Did not take apart to view, since I had to return to get my core charge back. Took out for a test drive while ago. Every thing appears tight again. Trans shifted better, and did not have the slip feel of the old axle. Noise is gone in driving and turning. Guess that fixed it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-31-2017, 11:08 PM   #5
Jhollo74
Jhollo74 is on a distinguished road

Yea, I read your post and im about to change my front axle too. My question is that when you pull the axle of the transmission is there a lot of fluid spill you have to deal with because i was just going to get a squeeze bottle and replace whatever drip out. Is that okay

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jhollo74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jhollo74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jhollo74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:58 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Year, model, engine?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 10:18 AM   #7
born again
born again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of lightborn again is a glorious beacon of light

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

I have had both front axles changed due to inner CV joints being loose. My mechanic only charges 1 hour labor for each, so it isn't worth me doing it myself. Rebuilt axles are cheap.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:03 PM   #8
pierrot
Master Member
pierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud ofpierrot has much to be proud of

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Year, model, engine?
Right; no info provided. Jhollo74, please don't presume that we in the forum know what you know about your vehicle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by born again View Post
I have had both front axles changed due to inner CV joints being loose. My mechanic only charges 1 hour labor for each, so it isn't worth me doing it myself. Rebuilt axles are cheap.
Agreed here also. I've not replaced my own axles, it's been done for me. Be sure to get CV Axles which come with a limited lifetime warranty!

298,000 miles-it keeps on rolling!
The blessings of liberty erode in my country.
Gov't's grown bigger, but a chance exists that it will be reduced. I'm cautiously hopeful.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pierrot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pierrot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pierrot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 03:18 PM   #9
floridasl22002
floridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to beholdfloridasl22002 is a splendid one to behold

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I know that the maintenance log, engine,etc , etc is a required item for answers, but I just checked on Rock Auto and the drive shafts on both the V6 and the I4 are the same. In fact the part number is the same for both left and right sides as well.

So in this case I don't think history, etc, etc is necessary to answer the OP's question.

From what I read, it does suggest having some form of receptacle to catch any fluid that "may" drain out when the driveshaft is pulled from the transmission. It is also very wise when removing said driveshaft to very careful that the shaft does not damage the oil seal as it comes out of the tranny side.

All that said, like Pierrot and many others, I have left it to my garage to change them. Only one ever needed and that was my son's SL2 passenger side last year. The other son's L300 is fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to floridasl22002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help floridasl22002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
floridasl22002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #10
Tom Walsh
Tom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the roughTom Walsh is a jewel in the rough

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Ya, they don't come out easy. I used a monster open end wrench to pry mine out. I think it was a 2 1/2. The 1/2 shaft was good , just changing an engine. So I wanted to be careful with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom Walsh's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom Walsh reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 08:27 PM   #11
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

Regarding possible transmission fluid leaking out when axle is pulled, it helps to have the end you are working on raised up higher than the opposite end. That will generally reduce the spillage to a few ounces.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:59 PM   #12
Russet
Russet will become famous soon enoughRusset will become famous soon enough

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jhollo74 View Post
Yea, I read your post and im about to change my front axle too. My question is that when you pull the axle of the transmission is there a lot of fluid spill you have to deal with because i was just going to get a squeeze bottle and replace whatever drip out. Is that okay
Since noone on here has any idea what vehicle your talking about this kinda question is best put in it's on thread.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Russet's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Russet reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Russet is offline   Reply With Quote