SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-03-2017, 02:47 PM   #1
ddemier7
Advanced Member
ddemier7 will become famous soon enoughddemier7 will become famous soon enough

2004 ION-1 Sedan
Dizzy rear main seal replacement. who can help

My 2004 Saturn Ion with an automatic transmission has 211,000 miles and the rear main seal is leaking. has anyone ever done this job before on a Saturn Ion? any tips or advice?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ddemier7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ddemier7 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-04-2017, 09:52 PM   #2
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: rear main seal replacement. who can help

I did this job on a 2006 Vue 2.2 about a month ago. This was described in the final series of posts of 2006 Vue Big Oil leak at http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...05#post2233805

I imagine that it is about the same job for your car. I highly recommend a transmission jack and the overhead support bar. I would rate the job fairly difficult and best suited to a DIYer who is pretty well experienced in this type of work. Try to get the correct repair sleeve. I am out of town now, but may be able to offer some more suggestions when I get home later in the week. Just let me know and feel free to ask questions.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

Last edited by hoosierrun; 04-04-2017 at 09:57 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hoosierrun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hoosierrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2017, 09:43 PM   #3
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Do you feel this can be done at home in the garage ? How many hours do you think I would have in this job?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ddemier7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-07-2017, 06:33 PM   #4
hoosierrun
hoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nicehoosierrun is just really nice

2006 VUE 2.2L

IF you have a big garage with a concrete floor, you could probably do it. The sub frame must be pulled out the front and the tranny pulled out on the driver's side with the strut removed. You will most likely need a little help from a second person for just a few moments at certain times; mostly when removing and replacing the transmission. Even with the transmission jack, I needed a little help guiding it into place.

Before tearing it apart, you might want to see if you can get the sub frame bolts out. If you can't get those out because the captive nut is frozen and spinning up in the frame, you might evaluate if it is worth the work. Try shooting penetrating oil on the nuts and working the bolts back and forth. Take one out, put anti-seize on it, and put it back on. Do that with the other 3.

The correct rear main crank shaft repair sleeve is part #SKF 99353 (for 2.2). Shop for the best price since these are pretty expensive.

I did this job on a concrete driveway and used my garage to store the subframe. I did the job over 4 days so it is kind of hard to say how many hours... but probably about 10. I took a lot of time organizing parts (bolts in labelled zip lock bags). Fortunately my car has spend its life in a non-salt area so all bolts came off fairly easy.

John.... 2006 Saturn Vue, 2.2, 186,000 miles Recently junked out - (threw a rod)

Last edited by hoosierrun; 04-07-2017 at 06:46 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help hoosierrun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-10-2017, 01:41 AM   #5
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Do I have to have a repair sleeve or is that only if the surface is scorn where the rear main seal goes?

I live in Missouri so no salt and bottom of car looks completely rust free. I would soat the sub frame bolts in penitrating oil for a couple days befire I begin the project.

Last edited by ddemier7; 04-10-2017 at 01:49 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #6
hoosierrun

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
Do I have to have a repair sleeve or is that only if the surface is scorn where the rear main seal goes?

I live in Missouri so no salt and bottom of car looks completely rust free. I would soat the sub frame bolts in penitrating oil for a couple days befire I begin the project.
A repair sleeve is like an insurance policy. If you don't put one in and it continues to leak, all the labor you just did is for nothing. With the mileage you have on that engine, there will be some wear and roughness on the crank that could affect a good sealing surface for a replacement seal. The sleeve has just the right surface to help the new seal do its job.

I did a couple of main seal replacements over the years on other engines where I did not install a repair sleeve. In both cases, I slowed the leak, but still had drips from the area. It was very frustrating after putting all those hours of back breaking labor into the job.

For the 2.2 GM Saturn engine, I would suggest a different procedure than is described in the directions for the sleeve. I would put the seal on the sleeve first (slight oil on seal lips). Make sure the sleeve flange is facing out. Then lightly coat the outer surface of the seal body with red anaerobic sealant. Begin pushing the sleeve with seal into the back of the engine and on the crank. With the cup/tool provided with the sleeve, gently tap the sleeve squarely onto the back of the crank. When the seal outer housing starts to go in to the engine, push gently on the seal to get it into place as squarely as possible. Continue tapping the sleeve and seal in until it is fully seated.

That process is a little delicate so take you time, but be assured it will provide a leak free seal. Always tap gently to keep things square.

In the back of the engine, above the crank, check the oil passageway plugs for any oil around the outside of the plugs and if there is any, clean oil off with brake cleaner, dry and apply J&B weld around the plug heads. Do the same for the cradle seam in the back of the engine.

Good luck with your project and let us know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-11-2017, 08:16 PM   #7
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

If I install a sleeve on my car do I still use a factory GM rear main seal or is there another seal that I have to use because Installed the sleeve?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2017, 06:41 AM   #8
hoosierrun

2006 VUE 2.2L

Same seal. I just used a Felpro that I ordered online.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2017, 03:50 PM   #9
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

so the seal has a repair sleeve already on the seal? I thought these were two different parts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-12-2017, 04:11 PM   #10
hoosierrun

2006 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddemier7 View Post
so the seal has a repair sleeve already on the seal? I thought these were two different parts?
They are separate pieces and generally purchased separately. The sleeves are rarely stocked, and usually have to be ordered. The seal is almost always available at your parts stores.

By same seal, I meant that there is no special seal that has to be used when you install a repair sleeve. It is just the standard seal that you could purchase if you were to change out the seal and not install a sleeve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-14-2017, 09:01 PM   #11
ddemier7
Advanced Member

2004 ION-1 Sedan

Do you think it could be the rear seals on my cams causing it to leak and look like the rear seal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!