SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2008, 07:05 PM   #1
HDR
HDR is on a distinguished road

1998 SL1
Default 1998 SL1 won't start cold

My wife's 1998 SL1 wouldn't start a few days ago. No spark. Trouble Code P0336 (CPSA circuit range performance). When removed and tested, the CPS showed an open circuit. After I installed a new CPS (measured resistance 748ohms), the car started right away, so I ran it 15 minutes and turned it off. Next morning it cranked fine but fired only occassionally, finally catching and limping up to full run. After warmup, I went for a 10-minute test drive. It ran great--smooth and peppy. I cleared the code and test drove again for 10 minutes. No new codes. Next morning it cranked fine again, firing intermittently, but wouldn't start. (It's cold here--about -25C; the car's in an unheated garage.) The fuel pump whirs when ignition is switched on, and it sounds like it's pressuring up. I'd like to recheck CPS resistance from the engine compartment, but my Haynes manual shows purple and yellow wires from CPS at ignition block connector. Colors are different on this car. Does anyone have any suggestions?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HDR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HDR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
HDR is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2008, 07:13 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1998 SL1 won't start cold

You did a great job troubleshooting the cps as the cause of a no-start problem but may not have followed up further on some other parts that may have fouled. The spark plugs. Remove them for inspection. And did you check to see if you're another victim of the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS) failure, making for too rich a fuel mixture? Look in the How-to-Tips first two posts covering the sensor and two-wire connector, pictures and procedures included.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2008, 08:18 PM   #3
nivlem7
Advanced Member
nivlem7 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Reminder; '01's have the new brass coolant sensors
Actually, my '01 SL1 had the resin tipped one. I believe mine was an early one, though. I didn't buy it new, so I suppose it's possible that it originally had a brass sensor that was pulled and replaced with a resin tipped sensor, but I highly doubt it.

To the OP, I don't know if it'll help, but I always start mine by doing the following procedure, otherwise, it has difficulty starting.

Turn key to "on" - listen for fuel pump
wait until fuel pump stops, then turn key to "start"
I usually wait a split second after the pump stops before turning to start
maybe a quick light pump on the gas, as it turns over

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nivlem7's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nivlem7 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nivlem7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2008, 03:53 PM   #4
HDR

1998 SL1

Thanks for your quick response. I will check the plugs and recheck for spark before trying anything else. The temperature gauge seemed to be working correctly on my test drives the other day, so I think that would suggest proper functioning of the ECTS, but I can check it as well if the other approach is unsuccessful. I'll let you know the results. HDR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HDR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help HDR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2008, 07:21 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Replace the ECTS. The top one in the pic below came out of a '98. If it hasn't happened to yours yet, it will.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2008, 05:15 PM   #6
HDR

1998 SL1

Update: I checked and cleaned the plugs as suggested (they were a little dirty but not bad). The engine cranked a long time but finally started. I then put a battery charger on overnight, and the car started immediately the next day. Aha, I thought--the battery was just low. The following morning, it was very hard to start again. It finally caught when I stepped hard on the gas. To me this suggested a mixture problem--possibly stemming back to a faulty ECTS. But the Check Engine light came on. New Code PO336 (CPS A Circuit Range/Performance). I just replaced the CPS three days ago. I'm mystified here. Any more suggestions? -- HDR

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to HDR's Reputation
Old 02-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #7
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

You must replace the coolant sensor as suggested despite the readings on the gauge. The faulty sensor is incorrectly sending the wrong signal level that's intepreted as richening the fuel mixture excessively as you countered by flooring the gas pedal and allowing more air to dilute the flooded engine enabling a start. The engine in the cold with the original coolant sensor floods the engine shorting the high voltage spark. Replace it immediately unless you feel like wasting more fuel in cold weather starts. The short term cure, until you replace the sensor with the brass one, is to floor the gas pedal completely (that shuts down the injectors) during cold starts, known as "clear flood mode", to enable a reasonable start-up with a flooded engine. A normal start-up in any weather with EFI systems does not require any gas pedal application at all. I did this back in my '77 280-Z and still do this in my '03 L300 today. For you to floor the gas pedal is an indication of something very wrong - the coolant sensor failed.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 11:51 AM   #8
fredsfix
fredsfix is on a distinguished road

1999 SL1
1997 SL1

That ects is sooooo easy to do, sounds like you know what you're doing;
$10 and 20 minutes any you'll be done!
Just for good measure I'd run a can of seafoam through a full tank of gas if you haven't done anything recently to clean the injectors and combustion chamber.
Tip: a very small screwdriver wiggled around down there will pry that darn two wire connector off. I lost about a cup of coolant on each engine I did last week.

You can't call yourself a mechanic if you're surprised it runs!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fredsfix's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fredsfix reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fredsfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2008, 12:11 PM   #9
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

No tools needed ,to remove the C T S plug .....Just squeeze the bell, pull !
My Haynes manual says the same thing, about the prying off (wrong).
All you need is a 13mm deep well socket wrench,relieve any pressure at radiator cap,then install back tight ,then squeeze the bell of the two wire plug,pull off ,then remove the old sender ,then install the new one ,you want to keep the socket straight on ,as you snug the sensor down,replace wire..

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote