SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-24-2007, 10:21 PM   #1
tyheid2002
tyheid2002 is on a distinguished road

Default Can't Start My 1998 SC1

I have a 1998 Saturn SC1 with 115,000 miles on it. Saturday night the car wouldn't start.

The battery was dead and so I put in a new battery, new positive and negetive cable, and still have nothing. We attempted to start it last night and it turned over for a short second, which led me to believe that the starter isn't bad. I think that it is the ignition lock cylinder, but I want to know what you guys think about this issue that I am having....

If you guys think that I need to change the ignition lock cylinder, the next question is how hard is it to change it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tyheid2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tyheid2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tyheid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-24-2007, 10:36 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond reputefdryer has a reputation beyond repute

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: Can't Start My 1998 SC1

Is the starter the original one? Have you checked the connections at the starter solenoid terminals for loose/corroded connections? The large RED and small gauge wire are from the battery and alternator while the small (purple?) gauge wire is the 12v START signal/power wire from the ignition switch. Have someone turn the ignition key to START while you measure the one wire terminal with the purple wire, either with a test light or meter for 12v. Each time the ignition switch is turned to START there should be 12v or a light on at the terminal. At the very same time the starter should engage so be prepared for the engine to start. If there isn't any 12v or light on then there is a wiring or ignition switch problem. Seeing 12v or a light on w/o the starter turning means the starter is dead, the brushes are worn down or the solenoid coil is faulty. Replace the starter. Sometimes rapping the side of the starter with a rubber mallet might loosen the brushes just enough to allow the starter a few more runs. Replace it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2007, 11:09 PM   #3
tyheid2002
tyheid2002 is on a distinguished road

I forgot to mention that the dome light isn't coming on, the door locks don't work, the power mirror, and the radio also isn't working. The fan, horn, headlights, and dash lights (idiot lights) work. I checked both of the fuse locations and didn't have any problems there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tyheid2002's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tyheid2002 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tyheid2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:32 AM   #4
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

All that failed stuff you list runs on the chime fuse.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 12:12 PM   #5
DMW
DMW is on a distinguished road

2002 SL

Double check the new battery to make sure its holding a charge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DMW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DMW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2007, 02:10 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

What's the voltage at the battery? What else happens (do the lights dim, for example) when you turn the key? Automatic or manual tranny?

If you don't have one yet, your next purchase should be a multimeter. It will pay for itself with the first part you find out you _don't_ need to replace.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote