SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Miscellaneous Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 04:05 PM   #1
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

Default Is my water pump bad??? pics

My car is leaking, BAD.

I remove the wheel and took some pictures. The leak is from where the water pump is I suppose.

I check every where else, but no sign of water.

So, is it my water pump?

Those green dots are my anti-freeze...

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-11-2003, 04:39 PM   #2
Dr. Bob
Master Member
Dr. Bob is on a distinguished road

Gee, now I see why some like to change the oil filter by taking off the right side wheel and fender liner!

Thanks for the pics.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr. Bob's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr. Bob reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2003, 05:08 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to beholdssicarman is a splendid one to behold

Yes the water pump or the gasket for it is leaking. For the time and trouble to just replace a bad gasket the water pump is best done as well. The whitish stain is dried coolant.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:34 PM   #4
100KSW2
Master Member
100KSW2 is on a distinguished road

You don't want to run the car out of coolant or the engine will be scrap.

I replaced my water pump in 1998 at 82K miles because it was only seeping a bit (no coolant even reached my garage floor). The repair at that time was $150. (My coolant was still fresh, which saved a couple bucks - I usually change it every 2 years instead of every 3 - my car, like yours, preceeds Dex-cool and 100K coolant change intervals).

Of course if you break down on the road and get towed to a non Saturn facility it may be less convenient and more expensive.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 100KSW2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 100KSW2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Off Top to Dr. Bob

Dr. Bob:
Quote:
now I see why some like to change the oil filter by taking off the right side wheel and fender liner
Yes, that is the way I also change my filter -- it is, truly, so much easier.

> 95 SL 2 = 653,369 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 5/20/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable < The car was retired

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #6
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Good pictures! (To include the lower engine mount, oil filter etc..as well as the lower portion of the waterpump) It does appear that you have a coolant leak in the area of the water pump. If after closer inspection from below with a flash light you are sure it is not just a hose, replace the waterpump. This is a VERY DIY project. Be sure to completely remove ALL traces of the old gasket and any sealer and completely dry the block to pump mating surfaces to prevent the new pump from leaking. I would suggest proceeding as follows.

With the splash guard OFF as in the pictures AND with the coolant drained including removing the block drain plug underneath the waterpump in the block.

1.LOOSEN but do not remove the bolts holding the pump's pulley to the pump THEN remove the serpetine drive belt.
2. NOW remove the bolts and water pump pulley.
3. Remove the bolts holding the pump to the block..MAKE SURE YOU GET THEM ALL!
4. Remove the pump. If it sticks to the block and you are SURE you have removed all the bolts, whack it with a rubber mallet to knock it loose.
5. Carefully scrape off ALL the old gasket/sealer and completely dry and degrease if necessary the block mounting surface.
6. Apply a THIN layer of ultra form a gasket to the new pump and engine block where the pump mounts. Then stick the pump gasket to the BLOCK using the sealer (still wet) to hold it in place.
7. Place 1 mounting bolt to act as a guide through the easiest to access spot on the pump and install the pump hand threading the bolt just enough to keep it from falling off.
8. Hand thread in the rest of the bolts then tighten in a criss cross pattern GRADUALLY AND EVENLY until torqued to spec.
9. Reinstall the pulley
10. Reinstall a NEW serpetine drive belt and then retorque the pulley bolts.
11. Refill with FRESH coolant (50/50 mix with water)

Whole project should take around 2 hours MAX and run you around $50 +/-

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2003, 01:59 AM   #7
amazinghl
Master Member

I'm pretty sure it isn't the hose. Why? because they are DRY!!!
I'll have to replace the water pump tomorrow, I need to buy a boxed 10mm wrench!!!

Just a note, Autozone of the GDM brand *made in Japan* had the water pump for $30. Kragen wanted $40 for them!

You have my permission to use any of the pictures if you like

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2003, 11:26 AM   #8
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Off Top to Dr. Bob

Quote:
Originally posted by Luke
Dr. Bob:
Yes, that is the way I also change my filter -- it is, truly, so much easier.

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr. Bob
Gee, now I see why some like to change the oil filter by taking off the right side wheel and fender liner!

Thanks for the pics.
I too remove the front right wheel to access the oil filter. It is literally right there when we pull down the left side of the wheel well liner! I've been doing it this way for years.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2003, 11:28 AM   #9
David 93 SL2m
Master Member
David 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the roughDavid 93 SL2m is a jewel in the rough

2004 VUE 2.2L
2007 ION-3 Sedan
Yes, these are great pictures. In addition we can almost see the belt tensioner. It missed the photo by a matter of images. I access the belt tensioner when changing the serpentine belt by removing the front right wheel and wheel well liner too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David 93 SL2m's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David 93 SL2m reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-12-2003, 03:13 PM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member

So, you guys like my pictures huh??

Well, what else would you like me to take pictures of???

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2003, 05:44 PM   #11
amazinghl
Master Member

More pictures....

I couldn't get the pulley off, I had to unbolt the waterpump and pulley.
I'm trying to find a way to bolt the pulley, anybody got any ideas?

The water pump is indeed leaking. The white stuff is dry anti-freeze.

More pictures of the car.

Don't mind the bloody color of the rotor, it's just a reflection of my RED creeper.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2003, 05:45 PM   #12
amazinghl
Master Member

A peek under the engine.

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-12-2003, 11:29 PM   #13
amazinghl
Master Member

I started at 11am... it's now 7:30pm...

I'm FINALLY DONE!!!

I couldn't get the pulley off the water pump. I had to take the water pump off first, and that took me a LOT of time. Then I heated the bolts, I iced them, I soaked them WD 40, and still no go.

The bolts connected the pulley and water pump is SO tight that my friend and I broken the socket and still couldn't get any one of them out.

I had to go to pepboys and get them to use the impact wrench to get them out!!!
They were that TIGHT!!!

Then I flushed the system out and no more leaks!!!

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-13-2003, 06:19 AM   #14
1320Doc
1320Doc is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SL2

Hey, those are good pics !!!. Makes me feel like I'm at work on my day off though...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1320Doc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1320Doc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:22 AM   #15
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Just looked at the newest set of pictures and saw something worth keeping. A front brake line going to a caliper in it's properly arched position. Maybe Charlie should start to keep a bunch of these photos somewhere on teh board for folks to use as "real world" references..Charlie are you listening? It's the picture right below the one of the removed waterpump....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2003, 07:54 AM   #16
1320Doc
1320Doc is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
1999 SL2

I was noticing the CORRECT position also. I guess it's a habit that we always look for a twisted line as the wheel is off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1320Doc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1320Doc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-13-2003, 10:54 AM   #17
amazinghl
Master Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wolfman
Just looked at the newest set of pictures and saw something worth keeping. A front brake line going to a caliper in it's properly arched position. Maybe Charlie should start to keep a bunch of these photos somewhere on teh board for folks to use as "real world" references..Charlie are you listening? It's the picture right below the one of the removed waterpump....

There should be a real world reference for "Upper Motor Mount" too.

What??? There's something "PROPER" about my saturn?!?!?!?!?!?!

You can't be serious!!!

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-22-2003, 02:31 PM   #18
dru95sc2
dru95sc2 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the tips I got done with my water pump in 1.5 hours including an oil change and thermostat. Finally I have no leaks any ware after new hoses stat and rad and water pump.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dru95sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dru95sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:31 PM   #19
amazinghl
Master Member

Where's the thermostat and how much did it cost you new?

00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-23-2003, 12:56 AM   #20
DualCamCoupe
Advanced Member
DualCamCoupe is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally posted by amazinghl

Don't mind the bloody color of the rotor, it's just a reflection of my RED creeper.
Uh huh and I suppose the fur on the caliper is from your carpet?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DualCamCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DualCamCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread