SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2007, 01:27 PM   #1
rearviewmirror
rearviewmirror is on a distinguished road

Default SL Water Pump Replacement DIY

It sounds like the water pump bearings are going out. I want to replace it myself but couldn't find a how-to document regarding the replacement. I do have the Haynes manual so it won't be a problem.

My question is this, what else along with the water pump should I order/replace parts wise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rearviewmirror's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rearviewmirror reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rearviewmirror is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #2
yazhere
yazhere is on a distinguished road

1995 SL1
Default Re: SL Water Pump Replacement DIY

Just a couple of quick things ...in your profile to the left.. post the year of your Saturn.. it will help those who want to help you..

How many miles on your car?

While you are changing the waterpump, great time for new hoses, an ECTS if its never been changed from the plastic resin one, a new thermostat and clean out the reservoir.

Generally the coolant capacity is about seven quarts...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yazhere's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yazhere reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yazhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:50 PM   #3
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

This is not a how-to document but you may find some parts of this video helpful.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRbUjGLviMY

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:54 PM   #4
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2000 SC2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...30&postcount=5

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2000 SC2
-2001 Limited Edition SC2 (#78)
-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 01:55 PM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I found the how-to no problem.

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ight=waterpump

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 02:03 PM   #6
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

Since you'll have the cooling system drained, it'd be a good time to replace the thermostat. If the coolant is old, you might wanna just refill with fresh anti-freeze and distilled water. And of course, if you haven't done it yet, this would be an opportune time to replace the ECTS.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 06:33 PM   #7
rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
Dammit! I did search! I just searched for WATER PUMP so maybe it was more pages back then I was willing to look.

The car is a 1996 SL2 w/ 112k miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help rearviewmirror reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-07-2007, 06:34 PM   #8
rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Since you'll have the cooling system drained, it'd be a good time to replace the thermostat. If the coolant is old, you might wanna just refill with fresh anti-freeze and distilled water. And of course, if you haven't done it yet, this would be an opportune time to replace the ECTS.
Thank ya.. I just did the all 3 ECTS when I did the radiator change. The coolant isn't even a year old yet but I don't think I'm going to try to save it. I'll just refill with 50:50 of new water/coolant. I'll replace the thermostat as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl will become famous soon enough

I searched for waterpump in the HOW-TO section. It was on the first page.

85 GLH 367whp. http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2261629#post2261629
00 Insight 72mpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 07:18 PM   #10
rearviewmirror

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl View Post
I searched for waterpump in the HOW-TO section. It was on the first page.
i was searching all forums, then the SL forum. I forgot about the How-To forum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #11
1999greenSL2
Advanced Member
1999greenSL2 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
i was searching all forums, then the SL forum. I forgot about the How-To forum.
You can also go straight to a forum and search at the top of the thread list, where it says "Search This Forum"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1999greenSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1999greenSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1999greenSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2007, 10:14 PM   #12
rearviewmirror

My 1996 SL2 has a Green Sticker on the cap, however, when I changed the radiator out last fall I put DEXCOOL in. I thought all 1996+ cars used DEXCOOL. The car hasn't had any problems running it, and I know the cap is the original OEM cap. Not sure why the green dot is there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2007, 10:30 PM   #13
madpogue
madpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud ofmadpogue has much to be proud of

1996 SW2

I *think* the very early '96s were still on the green stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 01:17 AM   #14
rearviewmirror

Quote:
I'll check the production date in the morning. I don't think there was any harm in running DEXCOOL so far, at least I hope not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-08-2007, 11:03 AM   #15
rearviewmirror

Production date:

11/95

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2007, 12:42 AM   #16
Civic&Saturn
Civic&Saturn is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
You are correct. The switch to Dexcool did happen sometime in the 1996 model year, but I no longer remember exactly when. Got an SL2 built in October 1995 using the green stuff over here.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Civic&Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Civic&Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Civic&Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:13 PM   #17
mrbios
mrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the roughmrbios is a jewel in the rough

1997 SW2
Default The switch from Dexcool to green antifreeze...

My 1997 model year SW2 factory order built Aug 2006 and delivered in sept 2006 uses dexcool. I flushed out the dex-cool years ago and switched to the green stuff and have never looked back. I smelled some coolant at around 105K ? but the smell went away. However, the car was stolen and in a light front end accident (radiator not damaged and not replaced).

Previously I always had brown sludge on the radiator cap for the reservoir which is caused by dex-cool being exposed to air. GM is being sued by a ton of owners for the damage dex-cool causes.

I used dexcool in my '92 bmw k75s after I installed a new water pump. The old water pump's fan was spotless at 47K miles & 13 years of service and looked like this:

Less than 3 years later I was resealing my timing cover which required taking the cover off the water pump and it looked like this:

Radiator Cap:

Filler Neck:

Radiator Cap:

Filler Neck:

Keep in mind any dexcool car if switched back to green MUST be flushed: block, heater core, radiator, coolant reservoir. I would do a regular flushing then fill the car with distilled water and get everything hot & heater set to high etc then install the new green stuff mixed 50/50 using distilled water.

I'm the original owner and my car has 122K & 11 years on the original radiator and it still cools great - fan comes on and runs for about 30 to 45 seconds then shuts off. Also, it isn't chronically running like most pre 1996 Saturns. That puts an extra load on the alternator.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrbios's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrbios reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrbios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:35 PM   #18
quiksc2
Master Member
quiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura aboutquiksc2 has a spectacular aura about

2002 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

When I replaced my water pump I also replaced the thermostat. I put in new coolant. It was green, but designed to not make the dex cool clump up if mixed. Washed out the reservoir, but didn't flush the system. No problems there.

If I wanted ride quality, I would drive a Cadillac. If I wanted to be a sheep, I would drive something that says Vtec on the side of it...
DCS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to quiksc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help quiksc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
quiksc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2007, 04:37 PM   #19
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2
Default Re: The switch from Dexcool to green antifreeze...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbios View Post
Keep in mind any dexcool car if switched back to green MUST be flushed
That green antifreeze is hard to come by nowadays.

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote